Mad Ax

Do you overthink your builds?

Opening note - this is not a cry for help, I'm totes OK, for serious :) 

Of all the mental health buzzwords that have entered common usage over the past decade or so, overthinking is perhaps the one that I'm most guilty of.  I can literally spend hours thinking things down to the minutest possible detail, way beyond anything that I can control, and get hung up on that minutiae when the bigger scenario to which it belongs will probably never happen.

The meme below is why I failed some subjects at school.  Well, not because I couldn't get past the captcha, but because I was always overthinking the intention of the exam question instead of just answering it.

1618410225193.jpg

But this leads me on to a particular dilemma I've had in my current project - an Element Enduro 6x6 build.

So I've had trouble getting an Axial transmission to connect to an Aliexpress 6x6 transfer case, because it's too wide to go between the shock towers and too long to go between the shock towers and the transfer case.

What I really need is a proper front motor transmission, such as from an MST CFX.  Now, as it happens, I have a CFX-W, and I could pop the transmission out of that to go in the Enduro, and put the Element's tidy stealth overdrive transmission in the CFX-W.  But here's where my overthinking starts:

• take the front mounted transmission out of the CFX-W for the Enduro 6x6 and put the Enduro transmission in the CFX-W
  • but I like the CFX-W as it is, and having a front mounted transmission is one of its major selling points
  • I've always wanted a CMX to put my spare Tamiya FJ40 body on
  • buy a CFX, put the transmission in the Enduro, put the Enduro transmission in the CFX to make an overdriven CMX
  • but I have enough spare parts to build a whole new Enduro, and I want to build it with the proper Enduro transmission
  • so put the old Axial transmission in the CFX to make a conventional CMX
  • ooh, RaceCraft RC has a TRX-4 Sport in stock in the Revival pit shop!
  • ooh, the TRX-4 Sport has a front-motor transmission!
  • buy a Traxxas TRX-4 Sport, put that transmission in the Enduro, put the old Axial transmission in the TRX-4 Sport
  • wait, I need a new race radio, cancel the TRX-4 Sport and buy a Sanwa MT-5
  • now I officially have no RC money left until October
  • actually, the TRX-4 Sport doesn't really have a front mount transmission, it's more a centre transmission with the motor hanging off the front
  • tell the pit shop I'll buy the TRX-4 Sport next month when I've got some more cash because I've convinced myself I want it anyway
  • wait, I've wanted a GMade Buffalo instead for a while, I was going to get one for my daughter to drive
  • but I like the Buffalo body and want to paint it in my colours, maybe I should get her an FTX instead
  • ooh, the GMade Buffalo has a front mount transmission!
  • wait, no it doesn't
  • buy a CFX, put the transmission in the Enduro, put the Enduro transmission in the CFX to make an overdriven CMX
  • but then I won't have enough money for the TRX-4 Sport
  • or the GMade Buffalo
  • or the 1:8 rallycross car I was supposed to be saving for
  • or all the other bits I'll need to finish the Enduro 6x6 project
  • but I can't finish the Enduro until I get these parts
  • buy a Land Rover body to go on the spare Enduro chassis so I can finish that instead
  • wait, I've got 2 or 3 other hard bodies that I've never used
  • but I want a Land Rover
  • ok, I can get some other chassis later to go under those hard bodies
  • if I buy a Land Rover body and take all the electrics from the 6x6 project, I can get my Enduro 4x4 running in a week or two (maybe even in time for the Scaler Nationals)
  • but then I'll have to save up for all new electrics for the Enduro 6x6 project, also the CFX to get the transmission from
  • I've run out of model memory on my Spektrum DX3-C and my FlySky FS-i6
  • wait, how much are those receivers for the new Sanwa MT-5!?
  • buy another FlySky FS-i6 with receiver combo, it's cheaper than a Sanwa receiver
  • if I put the spare Enduro axles on the very ancient SCX10 G6, I'll get a much better turning radius for the upcoming Scaler Nationals, and I can use the old SCX10 axles under the spare Enduro chassis for my Land Rover build
  • but then the Land Rover will have a poor turning radius
  • buy some new Enduro axles to go under the Enduro Land Rover
  • buy some cheap chassis rails to go over the SCX10 axles and make another monster truck
  • wait, what happened to that leaf sprung stage 1 monster truck I was going to build using TLT axles and a Clod body?
  • buy a CFX, use the CFX transmission and transfer case on the leaf-sprung monster truck for authenticity
  • put the old Axial transmission in the CFX to make a CMX
  • but then I don't have a front mounted transmission for the Enduro 6x6
  • take the front mounted transmission out of the CFX-W for the Element 6x6 and put the Enduro transmission in the CFX-W
  • ok, but what transmission will I put in the spare Enduro chassis..?
  • wait, wasn't I going to buy a Gatekeeper and put a fast brushless setup and IFS front-end in it to make a sort of scale-correct race buggy?
  • ooh, that would give me a spare Enduro front axle!  then I can buy another Enduro rear axle to go under my SCX10 
  • I still want that TRX-4 Sport
  • and the GMade Buffalo
  • and the 1:8 rallycross car
  • oh, and I broke the links on the MTX-1 the other week and I need the metal link upgrade kit

If this all seems a little excessive, or exaggerated for dramatic effect, trust me, it is not!  This has literally been going round and round in my head for the past 7 days.  I explained all this to Adie at the RaceCraft RC pit shop at the Revival this weekend and he agreed that I was indeed most likely overthinking it.

Does anyone else do this, or is it just me..?

• Like 10
  • Haha 6

Yes....I mean...no....I mean.....sometimes...

That "are you a robot" picture is me every bloomin time.

Honestly? ALL THE TIME. In software development we commonly call it "Feature Creep". I'll just fix that bug, if I do that I can tweak the API, well whilst tweaking the API I could put in that extra feature.....and so on.

It is really difficult to put boundaries on any project but essential to recognise that without a boundary a project will never be truly complete.

A common strategy that is applied in software and I would suggest could easily be applied to RC car construction is the idea of versions. Version X of this software will be complete when features 1, 2 and 3 are in place. Feature 4 will be a version Y enhancement.

Unlike static models one of the great things about these RC cars, because they can be taken apart and reassembled, is we can adopt the same philosophy. I wanted a 4WD Wild Willy with some very particular body alterations and paint job and Willy figure. I decided that phase one was a working GF-01 with a nicely painted Toyota Land Cruiser body. Phase 2 will be swapping out the body for a standard WW2. Phase 3 will be modifying that WW2 body.

So create your long list of things you would like to do in the long term but then place intervals stating that after "these bits" that stage will be complete. This allows you to start the project and feel the satisfaction of achievement. Otherwise we never get started. I dont know nearly enough about the RC hobby as I have only just started to comment on what are feasible stages for your case but perhaps you could say somethining like :

Stage1 could perhaps be complete at "so put the old Axial transmission in the CFX to make a conventional CMX".

This way you have fun things you could be doing now whilst in the back of your mind planning things for the future. One of the things I'm loving about these cars is the ability at any time to take the car apart and swap out replacement parts.

• Like 4

@Mad Ax In some ways I can relate because I trust my instincts and if something is out of place, needs fixing, or just needed, I do it no matter what.. because it will bother me until I don’t. :lol:

But then my lazy side also kicks in and so I go have a snack and stream a movie and try to forget the entire scope of things and start over with a fresh mind..? 

If I land in the same place then it’s time to start cutting.. :D

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

My immediate thoughts were, yes definitely. But then scrolled down and thought I get nowhere near 47 bullet points!

I just procrastinate too much. Current "problem" is whether to do the Avante Black box art or not......... 

KP 

• Like 2

I mean, I'm having a mild panic attack just reading this 😬

So the answer must be "yes!"

I don't think I overthink in the same way as you @Mad Ax as I'm less of a bespoke builder, or am a bespoke builder but in a different way

But I definitely get a bit overawed by the work ahead, more a symptom of just having too many open projects leading to me overthinking the order of things...

• What's the priority?
  • What should I do first? Build, mask, paint or sticker?
  • Oh, I need a different servo for this project...what should I do instead?
  • Hmmm, those other damper cylinders are perfect, but impossible to find. Shall I pause and hunt them down, or crack on with what I have?
  • Shall I save stickering for winter?
  • In which case I need to do more painting...
  • Do I have the right paints?
  • What realistically can I achieve before the weather is too poor?
  • How much can I get done in the next 3 quiet days?
  • HOW much masking????? Man I dislike masking...
  • Oooh, I've got 2/3 of a TA04 here...shall I double down and find the parts to finish it or try and sell what I have? 
  • Search for TA04 parts...

And that's just this morning 😂

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Gebbly said:

A common strategy that is applied in software and I would suggest could easily be applied to RC car construction is the idea of versions. Version X of this software will be complete when features 1, 2 and 3 are in place. Feature 4 will be a version Y enhancement.

Unlike static models one of the great things about these RC cars, because they can be taken apart and reassembled, is we can adopt the same philosophy. I wanted a 4WD Wild Willy with some very particular body alterations and paint job and Willy figure. I decided that phase one was a working GF-01 with a nicely painted Toyota Land Cruiser body. Phase 2 will be swapping out the body for a standard WW2. Phase 3 will be modifying that WW2 body.

So create your long list of things you would like to do in the long term but then place intervals stating that after "these bits" that stage will be complete. This allows you to start the project and feel the satisfaction of achievement. Otherwise we never get started.

This is very useful, a mindset / approach that I think would be very helpful to me. 

My current mindset is to gather everything I need before I start, and if one thing proves impossible to source then the whole project goes on ice. Leading to too many open projects

Back when I worked for a large organisation we used to do those Belbin profiles and I was always part 'Plant' but primarily a 'Shaper' and 'Completer Finisher'. I just refreshed my memory as to what they all mean, and that still sounds very much like me 😂

Whilst at the same company, a very wise and inspirational woman once said to me "don't let perfect be the enemy of better", which really resonated then and holds true today

• Like 5

Too much in my cart but cannot pull the trigger to pay until I clear out a few current projects.  It is worse when you are waiting for parts to be delivered and your mind wonders to another idea 🤦‍♂️

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Oh boy! Tell me about it. I can definitely relate to this thread.

Many times at late night, while lying on bed. I get up and go downstairs because something popped up in my mind and I just had to try it before I forget about it the next day. Turn on the lamps, pull the toolboxes and open them and start fiddling and tinkering on RC stuff. The next thing I know, it's already 5am. :lol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Gebbly said:

In software development we commonly call it "Feature Creep". I'll just fix that bug, if I do that I can tweak the API, well whilst tweaking the API I could put in that extra feature.....and so on.

Actually, that's a really interesting point and I hadn't made the connection.  I've a lifelong software developer too, and in my personal projects (as well as many of my work-based ones before I moved to Agile teams) there was always scope creep.  It doesn't happen at work so much now because I'm on a big team with a fairly tight task list and an architect with a firm grasp of what is needed and what isn't (in a good way), but for a long time my personal projects would take a lifetime to do anything useful, and would then usually get stuck in the "just about functional but ugly and bugged" stage because the cost/benefit of fixing it was too high.

Over the last 12 months, I've really sorted out my personal dev projects by writing user stories on Github.  If I think of a new feature, I write a story.  It's quick and easy, and I can do it from anywhere.  Then, when there's time, I can pick up just that story, create a new branch, and start coding.  If I get stuck, or decide it's not worth it, or another bug or feature takes priority, I can park that change and work on something else.  It's this process that has shaped CarManager from being a fairly basic and horribly bugged app that only ran on my personal laptop to a reasonably solid app that runs on a Raspberry Pi and can be accessed anywhere from my home network.  In fact it's close enough to a single-user alpha release now that I'll probably make my repo public after the next round of bugfixes.

You can read more about it here.

https://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?/topic/98769-carmanager-a-car-management-database/

Serendipitously, CarManager has a Tasks option.  A task is kind of like a user story, and can apply to a car (such as my Top Force or my Enduro 6x6) and/or a Project (which up to now has been things like Revival 2022 and UK Scaler Nationals) but could easily be an iteration of a car.  I've always thought that Car belongs to Project, but there's no hierarchy between Car and Project in the database and no hierarchy is implied in the UI, so it's really just a change of mindset to create a set of Projects as car iterations to keep things on track.

Another feature is Planned Purchases, where I can list an item and its cost against a car and/or project.  Like Tasks, Planned Purchases can also have a deadline date, so on the Jobs view I can see when I need to place my orders by or complete my tasks in order to be ready for an event, and I can also see a total projected cost to complete a project.  I'm not entirely sure the latter function is a good idea since the total in the unfiltered Jobs view is pretty depressing :lol:

So, thanks for the suggestion, I think I'm going to take that on board :) 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Juhunio said:

Whilst at the same company, a very wise and inspirational woman once said to me "don't let perfect be the enemy of better", which really resonated then and holds true today

My wife has a similar saying, which I think she picked up from Big Magic by Elizabeth Gilbert (I've recommended this book a few times on here), which is "done is better than perfect" - a brilliant motto that has helped me get over being stalled by perfectionism, and never sharing anything with anyone because it's never good enough to meet my personal standards.  Sharing the build process on here (showing things before they're finished, so everybody gets to witness my mistakes and failures as I make them) has been a big help and likely a result of this motto being repeated to me constantly.

• Like 2

You guys are my spirit animals.

Yes I do overthink things a lot. It's why my builds are comparatively slow.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mad Ax said:

My wife has a similar saying, which I think she picked up from Big Magic by Elizabeth Gilbert (I've recommended this book a few times on here), which is "done is better than perfect" - a brilliant motto that has helped me get over being stalled by perfectionism

I like that a lot, and will check out the book, thanks 😃

1 hour ago, Mad Ax said:

Sharing the build process on here (showing things before they're finished, so everybody gets to witness my mistakes and failures as I make them) has been a big help

Agreed, one of the main reasons I do my build threads is to make mistakes in the open and help me get over myself!

• Like 2

I think I am guilty of overthinking, at least in the early stages. It is what it leads to that causes me more problems.

A few of my builds have led me to purchase additional parts which springboard into other projects. I love thinking about which bits to get, what the end product will look like, etc...

So I have enough parts for

• a rolling chassis for a hard body Land Rover (but no body)
  • The axles, wheels and tyres for my scratch build tractor (need to go back to the steam fair next year to see the 1:1 again before I can progress)
  • A hopped up Frog
  • A hopped up Brat with Hard body (in the style of Trophy Rat, had it since before Team Associated brought out their version)
  • An SCX10iii (got motor, servoes, ESCs, Locked Up RC screw kit, hopped up panhard bar)

to name but a few. I can't start them because I have

• A Dual Hunter that has just lost its servo mount screws
  • Two Dual Hunters in mid-teardown (working on them with my son so can only progress when we both have free time)
  • Mini Monster needs upper arm links, body needs mounting and stickers
  • CR-01 Monster Truck that needs a body painted 
  • still haven't got my GCM Skeleton Jeep running properly (FFS, been slowly working on it for two years, only ran it once without a problem)
  • Wild Willy 2 is broken
  • a bunch of M chassis cars that need servicing

I get caught up in a 'new project romance', buy all the bits including the hop ups (looking at you SXC10iii and TD4) and then never have enough time to complete them. Or abandon a project half way through because I'm waiting for a part or ran into a problem or need good weather to move it on. I am so glad that I have run out of room for more cars.

I have got fed up with nothing working and being unable to find the bits I need it my pit of a garage. It got to the point where I have put everything at the back of said garage and picked up a different hobby :( but the Dual Hunter and the opportunity to see my son run it (with accompanying smiles) always draw me back in :D .

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Mad Ax said:

Sharing the build process on here (showing things before they're finished, so everybody gets to witness my mistakes and failures as I make them)

This sort of thing is not only extremely helpful to the person creating the journal but also hugely valuable to everyone who comes along and reads the journal. It means others like myself can watch and learn from your experience. And if the author is open to collaboration it can sometimes lead to those that are reading making useful suggestions that the original author may have missed. Like in a code review when someone suggests "did you consider this approach in your design?".

If everyone treats this sort of thing as a learning and constructive criticism relationship everyone benefits.

Keep up the build journals everyone, I love 'em :)

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Mad Ax said:

Does anyone else do this, or is it just me..?

Nope, it's a lot of us.  Well, it's ME for sure....

5 hours ago, Frankster said:

Too much in my cart but cannot pull the trigger to pay until I clear out a few current projects.  It is worse when you are waiting for parts to be delivered and your mind wonders to another idea 🤦‍♂️

I get stuck here too.  I feel like "Add to Cart" is an evil demon that plagues my life in an ironic play on the old adage of "Can't get a job 'cause I have no experience.  Can't get experience because I don't have a job".

I'll start a project (actively, or in the planning stages), and then realize I need parts.  Add To Cart.  

Well wait... If I'm placing an order, I should probably also add........  Add To Cart.

Oooh, that other kit is on sale..... Add to Cart.

Oh man... that cart seems really expensive.  I should probably go work on something I've already started.

Go back to working on something.... oh wait, this needs a part.  Add To Cart.....  :lol:

4 hours ago, Pablo68 said:

You guys are my spirit animals.

Ha ha, that's a great way to put it!  

3 hours ago, Badcrumble said:

I think I am guilty of overthinking, at least in the early stages. It is what it leads to that causes me more problems.

A few of my builds have led me to purchase additional parts which springboard into other projects. I love thinking about which bits to get, what the end product will look like, etc...

I get caught up in a 'new project romance', buy all the bits including the hop ups (looking at you SXC10iii and TD4) and then never have enough time to complete them. Or abandon a project half way through because I'm waiting for a part or ran into a problem or need good weather to move it on. I am so glad that I have run out of room for more cars.

This is me also.  Ironically, I also have a SCX10iii project just sitting (94% of the way to being a build-ready Unimog project... and has sat for 2 years?) along side a TD4 (which is waiting on a bunch of parts sitting in an un-checked out cart).

I too will romanticise a new project, start collecting parts, and then often get distracted.  I often tell myself that there is nothing wrong with this, as I can always build later... but it's not always true.  Sometimes it leads to a big $$$ loss (*cough cough* the NIB XR10 project I just sold off).  Sometimes it just leads to piles of projects and a feeling of guilt.  Sometimes it leads to smiles, and excitement towards the future.  So confusing... why am I overthinking this? 

Oh wait... that's what this thread is all about... 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

lol... @Mad Ax, that was a masterpiece!  

It's a young men's problem...

Get as old as I am, you've forgotten all the projects, hahahaha...ha...ha...wait... should I be worried about this? (I'm not even 50 yet).  

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Juggular said:

lol... @Mad Ax, that was a masterpiece!  

It's a young men's problem...

Get as old as I am, you've forgotten all the projects, hahahaha...ha...ha...wait... should I be worried about this? (I'm not even 50 yet).  

I can't forget. I made a spreadsheet to track them all :o

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Badcrumble said:

I tried a spreadsheet for awhile, fell by the wayside as I was just making too many changes to the cars too often (may have to go back and update now that things have settled down a bit). I have a note in my phone with all the cars listed and what they need, like really short form, then a bunch of links bookmarked into folders in my browser, for things that I need to buy, either immediately or eventually. I don't put anything in my "cart" that I don't intend to buy, and I have a "next order" bookmarks folder for the top priority things, although I do reprioritize in the moment based on the total amount of money I'm willing to spend. But I have stuff in the overall folder from years ago that I still haven't gotten around to yet, so it kind of serves as a reminder of all the ideas I still have to try.

The one car I actually planned out was my DT02, although it still ended up a bit different than it started. I think that's my style, kind of like on Roadkill--take a clapped out junker (the DT02 was actually the nicest RC I've ever bought, no disrespect @Saito2!), take it apart, clean it, and add bearings, then get it running with whatever random parts I have laying around to establish a baseline and figure out what to fix or upgrade. Then the real overthinking starts. Does X need a shim there to stop that slop? How does the car drive with a different pinion gear? A different motor? On and on. Until eventually the car drives how I want for the purpose I intended. Oh but wait, sometimes cars change purpose, too!? Yes, the Blaster was a fun offroad basher all summer, with big knobby Traxxas tires, but with its recently reconfigured suspension setup and reinstalled tarmac (technically, clay) tires, it's basically a dedicated road racer now. And another round of thoughts have already started on how to upgrade the front suspension again!

Honestly, it's neverending. :lol:

spacer.png

• Like 3

I overthink everything and did poorly on standardized testing in school because of it. Doing poorly in placement testing meant it was not uncommon for me to be placed in lower performing classes only to be removed and bumped up after only a few weeks from the start of a new school year. Once testing methods moved away from A.B.C.D: none of the above/multiple guess, I excelled with essay questions.

You are not alone in your RC endeavors. My mind toils away at everything, calculating risk and possible outcomes whether it RC or chewing food properly. It takes me forever to make decisions but when I do, they are usually correct (but by then it may be to late to matter, lol) My wheels turn slow but grind exceedingly fine. RC is actually relaxing to overthink because the outcomes are not really life threatening, which makes it fun rather than stressful.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, wintersdawn said:

Yeah, whether my decals are centred, straight.

The wakeup call for my wife and me is when our daughter (aged 3 at the time) used to have tantrums that she couldn't stick the stickers straight in her Peppa Pig magazine and required us to do them. She could only have learnt that from the parents (both of them), so we actively took to wanging stickers any which way.

I'm pretty proud that that the decals on my Avante look great in isolation from either side. Just don't make any attempt to check if the sides are equivalent :lol:.

But overthinking builds? I'll take the fifth.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Badcrumble said:

I too have a spreadsheet to keep track of everything I have, what needs doing.
It needs updating....

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Saito2 said:

I overthink everything and did poorly on standardized testing in school because of it. Doing poorly in placement testing meant it was not uncommon for me to be placed in lower performing classes only to be removed and bumped up after only a few weeks from the start of a new school year. Once testing methods moved away from A.B.C.D: none of the above/multiple guess, I excelled with essay questions.

Bizarrely, I was the other way around.  I'd do poorly all year, get low predicted grades, then ace the exam and get moved up a set.  This kind of contradicts what I said earlier (and I did indeed fail some tests because I was convinced the questions were wrong or poorly formed), and I'd sometimes get moved down a set mid-year when I failed to meet the expectations set by my exam results.

30 years later and I'm very much still the same - give me some regular work and leave me alone and I'll flounder along at my own pace and not achieve much, but throw me an urgent deadline at the last minute and watch me overachieve.

I always hated essay questions because I get cramp when writing with a pen.  Always did, still do.

7 hours ago, naturbo2000 said:

The wakeup call for my wife and me is when our daughter (aged 3 at the time) used to have tantrums that she couldn't stick the stickers straight in her Peppa Pig magazine and required us to do them. She could only have learnt that from the parents (both of them), so we actively took to wanging stickers any which way.

lol!  It's the other way around with us.  My wife bought ours (also 3 at the time) a really nice unicorn sticker book.  Wife was insistent that all the unicorns had to be installed flat, straight, and be on the right page (apparently there are different species of unicorn, and according to the book they live in segregated communities where all the tree unicorns live in the forest and all the sea unicorns live on the shore and all the mountain unicorns live on the mountains).  I was under strict orders not to let her put any on the wrong page.  I guess there's no telling what those prejudiced tree unicorns would do if they saw a mountain unicorn of the wrong colour in their perfect little tree unicorn community.  But I felt a bit the same, too - I'd get a deep sense of discomfort when she was putting stickers in odd places, or on top of each other, or the wrong way up, or over the fold at the page edge.  I even caught myself getting angry when she ripped them getting them off the backing sheet.  I had to learn to take a step back and just let her explore in her own way.

She hasn't finished building her Super Storm Dragon yet, but she's desperate to start stickering the pre-painted body.  I'm probably going to have to leave the room while she covers it in puppies and unicorns.

1 hour ago, Pablo68 said:

I too have a spreadsheet to keep track of everything I have, what needs doing.
It needs updating....

A spreadsheet is only any good if it's kept up to date.  One of the mistakes is having a spreadsheet that requires too much info - it takes too long to update it.  It's got to be super-simple and fast.

A big part of CarManager is being able to access it from all around the house, on mobile, tablet, laptop, so any time I think of a task or purchase or whatever I can just add it, and at the end of a workshop day I can open up a Task and hit the Complete button.  I can quickly see all the tasks for a project, or a car, or any tasks that don't require parts orders and can be done in front of the TV.  But if I forget to update it for a few weeks (as happened in 2021 when it was offline for about 8 months), it becomes full of outdated info and it takes me a few hours (spread over a few weeks) to get on top of it again.

• Like 4

Well, for all that I just updated mine.
It's not too complicated. It is separated into brands, then particular model, whether it's running or not, and what needs to be done to it to get it running.

• Like 1