OlesTA

Was there a yellow original Clod Buster?

Hi!

Was there ever a yellow clod buster from 87? I might buy one. It has the Chevy logo, but yellow color on body and yellow rims... The seller claims it is "rare" because of the color... It has a newer aftermarket ESC...

Body was moulded in white plastic so you could paint it whatever colour you wanted.

I still have a NIB original Clodbuster - boxart finish is red.

The white plastic might go a bit yellow if you leave it in sunlight for a long time...  

I understand, but the seller says it "extra" rare since it is "a yellow"...

But I have never heard of that version...

F0A3468B-8207-43A5-A17F-78E7A5CF200E.jpeg

• Like 1

That's interesting.  As already said, the body can be painted whatever colour, being painted yellow doesn't make it rare.

The shocks look like Monster Beetle oil shocks.  I could be wrong, those bodies look long and it's been a very long time since I had any OG Monster Beetle shocks in my possession.  Someone else here may be able to confirm.  They're definitely not standard Clod shocks, they've been added later (unless this mystical yellow edition came with yellow oil shocks).

The Bullhead, incidentally, did have yellow shocks, and also yellow bumper parts, although the pic above shows red bumper parts which were standard (I'd expect a yellow edition Clod would have yellow bumpers too, especially as Tamiya already make them for the Bullhead).

The wheels are the real anomaly here, AFAIK there was never a "yellow" edition (I'm happy to be proved wrong), and neither were the wheels ever made in yellow (again, I could be wrong).  I've just google image searched for "clod buster vintage" and the 2nd image is of a clod with yellow wheels.  In fact there are 3 Clods in the top few pages with yellow wheels, but I can't tell if they are original Tamiya wheel moulded in yellow, original white Tamiya wheels that have been dyed, or aftermarket wheels.

Maybe one of the other Clod enthusiasts will have more info, but my gut feeling is this isn't a special edition.

I have never heard of a yellow version either..  This truck looks like the body and wheels were painted yellow(notice the paint chips on the left fender where you can see the white plastic) with Bullhead shocks.  

I've never seen, nor heard of, or a Clodbuster with a molded yellow body, or wheel set.  Almost certainly that body and wheels have been painted.

Wheels came in white, gold, and later in chrome.

Body came in white, and later in Black (Black Edition).

Happy to be proved wrong...

Shocks look like period(ish) correct CVA's... Monster Beetle, Supershot, etc... not a factory Clod part.

There's a seller on eBay that's selling a rare lancia Delta yellow edition 😶

You can definitely see the original white body where the yellow paint is chipped, if it was a genuine yellow edition the body would be yellow where it’s chipped.

There was no "yellow edition" Clod Buster, rare or otherwise. The body and wheels were molded in white as others have mentioned and these were simply painted yellow. BITD, Tamiya offered their yellow CVA shocks in 3 sizes, Long, short and mini. The long variant (found on the rear of buggies like the Boomerang, Bigwig, etc.) were a Tamiya suggested hop-up for the Clod Buster and can be seen in the "technical" part of the Clod Buster promo seen at roughly the 3:10 minute mark. As Mad Ax noted, the Bullhead later used yellow plastics in place of the original Clod red, though the yellow had more orange in it, yielding a school bus-type yellow and not the bright yellow seen on the CVAs present in the picture. The Bowtie Chevy grill is the only thing that makes this particular Clod somewhat special.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

When I look at the pictures in the ad, It looks to be painted red underneath the yellow. As @Snappy1 also mention, you can see the white plastic where the paint has chipped. 

Just to throw an extra idea in the pan,

Was the alternative paint scheme in yellow by any chance?. If there was one?. On the side of the box as there was with other models .

Don't know about the box but in the promo video, there was a blue one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The only thing I can think of that might explain the wheels - if they aren't in fact just painted - is that they could be aftermarket. I once had a set of Blackfoot wheels from JG that looked exactly like Tamiya wheels, except they were molded in fuorescent green nylon. They might very well have made alternate color Clod wheels as well.

As far as I know, '87 Clodbuster only came with white plastic body and white wheels. The yellow shocks are Tamiya optional  CVA long shocks for the Clodbuster. Here is my '87 Clodbuster that I built back in '87.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3b (3).jpg

4.jpg

5a.jpg

8a32.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, yellowcat said:

As far as I know, '87 Clodbuster only came with white plastic body and white wheels. The yellow shocks are Tamiya optional  CVA long shocks for the Clodbuster. Here is my '87 Clodbuster that I built back in '87.

Oh man, that's a BEAUTY!!!

My OG '87 is also a "yellow edition"... :lol: albeit with OG Gold rims...

C4tqg36.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Some say that the Clodbuster is so powerful, when you punch the throttle on a Clodbuster, it doesn't travel forwards, it actually pushes the world backwards,

All we know is that it's called the Clodbuster 

• Haha 3

Although the clodbuster isn't my thing really! (Sorry clod fans) I've built a super clod for a friend a fair few years ago and originally it did only come in red unless like the monster beetle only came in red but a well known shop in the UK (Beattie's) back in the original day commissioned a yellow bodied version! It was basically the red one painted by Beattie's or Riko? In yellow then sold in limited numbers through the Beattie's shops! So maybe it could be something local like that??

• Like 1

1 hour ago, moffman said:

a well known shop in the UK (Beattie's) back in the original day commissioned a yellow bodied version! It was basically the red one painted by Beattie's or Riko? In yellow then sold in limited numbers through the Beattie's shops!

Oddly enough, I wondered this just as I was re-reading this thread.  In theory, any reseller could have run a promotion to paint the bodies (and even dye the wheels, add the hop-up option shocks and swap in yellow parts from the Bullhead), and this would indeed make whatever they sold a "special yellow edition", just not one officially endorsed by Tamiya.

I got one of the "gold edition" Buggy Champs during the re-release, which was a promotion done (IIRC) by Tamiya USA, not by Tamiya themselves.  The body was very nicely painted in gold but was not in the original plastic bag, it was in a plastic bag that looked and felt different to all the other Tamiya bags in the kit box.

A little bit like the "NIB factory sealed in shrink wrap" kits that turn up from time to time.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mad Ax said:

Oddly enough, I wondered this just as I was re-reading this thread.  In theory, any reseller could have run a promotion to paint the bodies (and even dye the wheels, add the hop-up option shocks and swap in yellow parts from the Bullhead), and this would indeed make whatever they sold a "special yellow edition", just not one officially endorsed by Tamiya.

I got one of the "gold edition" Buggy Champs during the re-release, which was a promotion done (IIRC) by Tamiya USA, not by Tamiya themselves.  The body was very nicely painted in gold but was not in the original plastic bag, it was in a plastic bag that looked and felt different to all the other Tamiya bags in the kit box.

A little bit like the "NIB factory sealed in shrink wrap" kits that turn up from time to time.

I did wonder about that gold edition buggy champ i never actually seen one in the flesh so to speak but looking at the photos it did look kinda like someone sprayed it?  although very good looking!