Jez

IMG_9853.JPEG

IMG_9849.JPEG

IMG_9850.JPEG

IMG_9851.JPEG

IMG_9852.JPEG

M chassis? M04?. Or M06?

Perhaps?

Yeah, the tl01 was a 4wd?. Looks like an mo6 you can tell which one by the spacer Inbetween the chassis halves front and back. If there's no spacer, it will fit a mini body, I think the beetle body had a spacer between front and back chassis halves to make it longer 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, wolfdogstinkus said:

M chassis? M04?. Or M06?

Perhaps?

Yeah, the tl01 was a 4wd?. Looks like an mo6 you can tell which one by the spacer Inbetween the chassis halves front and back. If there's no spacer, it will fit a mini body, I think the beetle body had a spacer between front and back chassis halves to make it longer 

Where is the spacer? The chassis splits vertically.... Apologies if i misunderstood.....

It looks the same length as my other TL01's just narrower wheel to wheel left to right.....

Looks to me like a standard TL01.  Are your other TL01s touring size or buggy size?  The TL01 came in standard touring size, with around a 190mm track width (with wheels fitted), the TL-01B had wider buggy arms for around 249mm track width.

It's also possible they are M-chassis arms.  The arms from an M04 are a direct fit (IIRC these are the same as M03 arms).  These give you a narrower M-chassis track width, but the same 257mm wheelbase.  I don't have an M-chassis or TL01 in front of me right now, but I think the M-chassis front arms look a little different.

The other alternative is that your current TL01s have Long Arm kit.  This was a hop-up for racing (also sold as a TL01LA kit with various bodies in 2002) - it doesn't actually have a wider track width, but it has longer arms and different uprights for better suspension geometry.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Mad Ax said:

Looks to me like a standard TL01.  Are your other TL01s touring size or buggy size?  The TL01 came in standard touring size, with around a 190mm track width (with wheels fitted), the TL-01B had wider buggy arms for around 249mm track width.

It's also possible they are M-chassis arms.  The arms from an M04 are a direct fit (IIRC these are the same as M03 arms).  These give you a narrower M-chassis track width, but the same 257mm wheelbase.  I don't have an M-chassis or TL01 in front of me right now, but I think the M-chassis front arms look a little different.

The other alternative is that your current TL01s have Long Arm kit.  This was a hop-up for racing (also sold as a TL01LA kit with various bodies in 2002) - it doesn't actually have a wider track width, but it has longer arms and different uprights for better suspension geometry.

Thanks for that information 👍🏻

I have a buggy and a touring.....This is just a project to use up the boxes of spares I have.

I will fit the wheels and try to get a body to fit it. For the Touring car I used a body from a Nitro car which luckily fitted fine!!

Thanks again

Jez 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JezHall said:

Where is the spacer? The chassis splits vertically.... Apologies if i misunderstood.....

It looks the same length as my other TL01's just narrower wheel to wheel left to right.....

My apologies, never had a tl01 but couldn't see the centre driveshaft and the suspension arms do look really short.

10 hours ago, Mad Ax said:

Thanks for that information 👍🏻

I have a buggy and a touring.....This is just a project to use up the boxes of spares I have.

I will fit the wheels and try to get a body to fit it. For the Touring car I used a body from a Nitro car which luckily fitted fine!!

Thanks again

Jez 

Just measured it with temporary wheels. It's 180mm from outer edge of tyres.

What body would fit this? It does seem narrow?

Ta

Jez

648E4F70-FE84-4359-8BA5-17B4F2BF89C3.jpeg

Is that measured with the wheels on full droop on sat on its wheels?

The TL-01 is notoriously narrow for what is nominally a "190mm" touring chassis. TG10 axles and chunky 10mm hexes and/or wide-offset wheels can get you close, but then you start running into scrub issues up front, as the kingpins end up well inboard of the contact patch centres. IMO, it is best to either go with a long-arm conversion (either Tamiya LA original or Yeah Racing aftermarket) or pick one of Tamiya's similarly too-narrow bodyshells which suit it in its natural state. The older Subaru rally shells come to mind as suitable options.

• Thanks 1