wintersdawn

Behold, the Creature (Monster Beetle)

My first thought was "those spikes need straightening, some rollovers have bent them".  Ahh but they are cardboard? Maybe lower it so it rolls over less? :) feels like it could use an engine & exhaust sticking out the back.  It looks like it has received the 'dusty apocalypse' treatment, including the frame.  The shocks seem far to clean.  Looks like an interesting start to a project! 

• Like 2

Oh, what a beetle!  What a lovely beetle!

I agree, lowering the body (or the suspension) would improve the looks and possibly reduce rollovers.  Some black shocks would look better, too, and I agree with the engine in the back comment.

There's only one motor configuration for a fury road - a V8.  Hang one of those out the back.

Then you probably need a dude swinging off that antenna tube.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Its a 2015 re-re with the chassis sprayed.  I've already built (to box art) the usual red bodyshell so this one appeals to me as its different but not sure about those spikes, yes I think they're cardboard.

6.jpg

5.jpg

• Like 2

This is the Ebay description:

"I built this tamiya monster beetle re re several years ago as a homage to mad Max, I enjoyed modifying the body. Although the chassis has been painted it has not been modified in any way. This would be a good restoration project if you wanted to put it back to original.  It comes with a stock 27turn motor and steering servo, led lights have been fitted to the body. You will require your own transmitter, receiver, esc and battery to run it if you wish to do so."

My thoughts are to remove the fins and leave the rest so it's a beat up monster beetle.

Seems a shame in a way as it's so unique but the fins take it a bit too far for me.

As it looks pretty beat up some bashing damage will probably fit in. Also it's got no door mirrors to lose or licence plates or even windows to break.

You will have to see if it is painted under the fins.  They might have been the first thing to go on before the apocalypse, or they might have been the cardboard overspray protection they used while painting the body and put on later!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SlideWRX said:

You will have to see if it is painted under the fins.  They might have been the first thing to go on before the apocalypse, or they might have been the cardboard overspray protection they used while painting the body and put on later!

Cheers.  Hopefully the latter but if no paint under the fins then it's going to be patchy.  Although regardless, the fins probably have to go. I like to see the contours of the beetle body.

If no paint under the fins or a glue residue left (don't know how they are attached), I might have to start again and sand down to repaint. Shame if necessary as I like the rest of the look and colour.

2 hours ago, SlideWRX said:

Cheers.  Hopefully the latter but if no paint under the fins then it's going to be patchy.  Although regardless, the fins probably have to go. I like to see the contours of the beetle body.

If no paint under the fins or a glue residue left (don't know how they are attached), I might have to start again and sand down to repaint. Shame if necessary as I like the rest of the look and colour.

This shows what looks like some sort of adhesive putty (?) and seems to be sprayed after being applied as the same colour as the fin/body.

1.jpg

I've named this Monstrosity Beetle and still wondering if I should just leave it as it is.

Trouble is, I like to put my own mark on things but if I leave it, all I have to do is fit metal bearings (if needed) and electronics.

Forgot, I only run lipo batteries now and they're the usual squared off shape (2s) so I have got to modify the battery area to take them or mount them somewhere else.

24 minutes ago, wintersdawn said:

I've named this Monstrosity Beetle and wondered how many here would just leave it as it is? It's kind of a piece or work of art.

Trouble is, I like to put my own mark on things but if I leave it, all I have to do is fit metal bearings (if needed) and electronics.

Forgot, I only run lipo batteries now and they're the usual squared off shape (2s) so I have got to modify the battery area to take them or mount them somewhere else.

[Never mind…  I saw your post about cardboard fins and edited my post…]

And there is a battery door on Shapeways that lets you fit square LiPo batteries.  I don’t have one since I can fit my square pack in mine, but it’s a shortie and doesn’t fit well…

• Like 1

Not loving this now so going to remove the fins & try a hand brushed painted design where the red bodyshell is exposed. It looks so beat up that pretty much anything goes paint-wise, the worse I do it, the better it looks (hopefully)

IMG_20220921_122147.jpg

• Like 1

Just checked the steering servo and motor and works/runs fine and surprisingly stable at full speed for a MB.

The Road Warrior look is awesome but I can’t believe they used cardboard instead of styrene or even an old soda bottle..  

• Like 1

The fins had to go but the rest of the weathered/beat up look I love.  Thankfully the glue holding the fins on is removeable with my thumb nail without leaving marks.  My thumbs will go through it so will do it a bit at a time.

Already started painting the red bodyshell areas with flat green and fits in well.  Going to mix it up a bit with flat brown too.

First wheel arch fins removed and painted flat brown (using the paints I have to hand). Also the rest has had a fin-cut with the rest removed when my thumbs are up to it. 🙂

IMG_20220921_201449.jpg

• Like 1

On 9/21/2022 at 2:54 PM, BattleTrak said:

The Road Warrior look is awesome but I can’t believe they used cardboard instead of styrene or even an old soda bottle..  

When i saw the pics i though using relatively thin EVA foam would be the way, wouldnt get damaged in a rollover as it should just spring back.

Progress is looking good, love the look and i might have to do up a Buzzard Beetle shell for my fleet :)

• Like 1