Sign in to follow this  
Yoshimitsu

Drilling a non drilled shell in the right place?

Against my better judgement I'm going to have another go at an L&L shell. 

Does anyone have any tips on post alignment drilling advice? 

Ta.

@Yoshimitsu I am assuming this body is not clear?  If so, I would suggest going magnet post body mounts instead.  Seems to be a popular thing in 2022.  There are several YT vids on how to do magnet posts properly.. pretty common sense stuff, but good to see. 

GL!  

This was a great thread but the photos aren't showing for me :-(.

Clear instructions though

2 hours ago, Yoshimitsu said:

Does anyone have any tips on post alignment drilling advice? 

I assume the body post are in good condition, straight and not bent. 

If so, paint the top of the highest post with poster colours, watercolour, something wet and non-permanent. Line up the body and press down. If you got the color on the body and need to slide it, it is actually OK as the last point of the smear is your final position. That is the first hole(s) you drill. Then do the same for the lower holes, dropping the body through the higher holes. When done just wash the color off. 

Oh, if it is clear, just line up, mark on the outside and drill away. Personally, I like to start with 2mm and work my way upwards. 

100% buy a set of magnetic post markers, makes it so easy. and they are an investment, you'll be happy you bought them everytime you get a new body! 

• Like 2

I also have and L and L shell, which I haven't painted yet as O still need to build the chassis, so I can mark the hole locations more easily.... I've thought about magnetic body holders, but are they solid enough for a rally car (XV-01)?

16 minutes ago, foz75 said:

I also have and L and L shell, which I haven't painted yet as O still need to build the chassis, so I can mark the hole locations more easily.... I've thought about magnetic body holders, but are they solid enough for a rally car (XV-01)?

They are a bit hit and miss depending on the shape of the body, location and angle.