smirk-racing

Servo selection for XV-01 / 02

Hi All,

I noticed recently that my XV-02 was almost un-driveable with my usual (extremely fast) servos. I had to use both expo and servo speed settings in the radio to slow the servo way down, and that made the car a lot more fun to drive.

What are the ideal specs people are aiming for in terms of speed and strength for the xv-01 and xv-02? I know the xv-02 also calls for a low profile servo (if you want to skip using the spacers). I think the XV-01 also fits a low profile servo easily, but then it DOES require spacers.

Thanks!

For my XV-01 I use a JX-PDI-4409MG low-profile digital metal-gear servo. Its claimed specs @6V are 9.2 Kg-cm and 0.11 sec/60deg. I think in reality it's a bit slower. For ~$15 USD it's a good option.

• Like 1

You don’t need any spacers with a low profile servo in an 01. I like fast powerful servos, and I use the EPA and EXPO to get the feel right. Even on a rally car, you don’t always want max mechanical steering throw. A PTK-160 is an awesome (and too expensive) servo, a Savox 1251 is adequate, although I’d prefer more speed. The 1251 has become almost a spec servo for my recent builds.

Look for something around the 8-10kg mark, 

minimum speed should be 0.1, preferably less. I run 9kg 0.08 in my xv01. 

for xv02 you want low profile, otherwise you need spacers which lifts the servo up higher which creates more flex in the mount.

1 hour ago, Big Jon said:

You don’t need any spacers with a low profile servo in an 01. I like fast powerful servos, and I use the EPA and EXPO to get the feel right. Even on a rally car, you don’t always want max mechanical steering throw. A PTK-160 is an awesome (and too expensive) servo, a Savox 1251 is adequate, although I’d prefer more speed. The 1251 has become almost a spec servo for my recent builds.

Not on a XV, but I run 1252MG which are noticeably faster.  I'm going to be trying my new PowerHD BZ soon which are slightly even faster..

@smirk-racing which servo are you currently running?   If it's like 0.07sec for 60 degrees, it might be better just to get more familiar with your car?  

• Like 1

I would look into EPA and expo (if your transmitter has expo) rather than downgrading your servo.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the tips and suggestions! Much appreciated. I grabbed a couple of servos using these suggestions as a guideline.

41 minutes ago, smirk-racing said:

Thanks for all the tips and suggestions! Much appreciated. I grabbed a couple of servos using these suggestions as a guideline.

Which servos did you end up getting?

Most of my servos are SPT which I changed from JX.  One installed in my XV-01 and in my FF cars. The SPT 4412LV is quicker, more torque (and looks better with Tamiya because it has blue aluminum casing :D)

But one servo I really love is my PowerHD L12-HV. Ultra fast and with coreless motor and all-aluminum casing.  0.06 secs -12kg @7.4v.

I recently tried one of the low profile JX in my TA03. It was labelled digital and coreless. Well it was neither l. So I returned it to Amazon and bought another servo that looked just like it, it’s a no name.. but seems to be doing the job.

I have the SPT saved in my list for the future 

No matter the car, you really don’t need a servo that’s faster than 0.11 seconds at 6.0 v. Fast servos will make the car very nervous. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Raman36 said:

No matter the car, you really don’t need a servo that’s faster than 0.11 seconds at 6.0 v. Fast servos will make the car very nervous. 

This is what I finally discovered... I was chasing specs for a long time and for my off-road vehicles it mattered less because they have less traction anyway, but for on-road, it became very noticeable. It is sort of counter-intuitive (at least to me). I thought a very fast servo would give a very dialed-in feeling - as soon as my fingers moved, the car tires would also move. Obviously there is a lot more to it than just that as I much prefer driving with the servo speed turned down a good bit now.