Sign in to follow this  
smirk-racing

XV-01 Long Damper spec - shock oil weight?

Hi All,

I am building a new XV-01 Long Damper kit which will primarily see on-road use with a little grass/dirt mixed in at the local park.

I am trying to build the kit as close to stock as possible (precisely per the manual) but the two areas I'm willing to diverge are 1) front diff oil (went with 30k) and 2) shock oil. On the latter, I've not decided what shock oils to use. I would venture to guess that the one oil Tamiya included in the kit is perhaps not optimal for ALL uses (front diff, rear diff, front shocks, rear shocks). The kit-supplied oil is marked "Hard" and is clear in color (900 weight per the label).

Since I have plenty of oils, I thought I'd ask the experts - what oil should one use for the shocks in the XV-01 Long Damper? I am inclined to think the heavy oil is good in the front, and maybe something lighter would make sense in the rear?

If your going to use it on road and not lower and firm up the suspension you’ll likely want firm sway bars. 

oil wise really depends on what springs your using and what the vehicle weight is, and if or not your using sway bars. I would start with the kit recommendation and then move from there if necessary. The long and the short is, the answer to your question depends on lots of different factors that you’ll need to judge yourself once you drive it. 

Juls

I used Team Associated 40wt in the front and 30 in the rear, which feels pretty good on road, but too thick off road.