Yoshimitsu

Talbot Sunbeam Lotus Toivonen

Brilliant 👍🏼

What's the shell like quality wise?

Is it a L and L?

Its an L&L...

Wafer thin at some bits thick like a credit card at others.🤷

Decals seem slightly better than the last shell. 

Hit and miss is what I'm trying to say... But you know Toivonen/early 80's rally cars. I'm in.🫣

• Haha 2

Look forward to seeing the results

Wish they'd do a Manta 400 in Rothmans livery 

1 hour ago, svenb said:

Wish they'd do a Manta 400 in Rothmans livery 

Very much this. I'm saving a MkII shell for a Rothmans livery in the hope someone will produce one.

Thats pretty cool. I got a Chevette HSR body from Ebay, made by the seller 

• Like 1

I have one of these amongst many of the L&L shells in my stash. Currently working on their Peugeot 205 T16.

Interesting to see how you get on. Like you say, dangerously thin in places, some thought needs to go into the preparation for sure. Decals are so so, and need some care when adding some heat to get them to adhere to curved areas. Window surrounds always seem way to thick too.

Big fan of rally cars from the 80's too :) 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, FoxShot said:

Thats pretty cool. I got a Chevette HSR body from Ebay, made by the seller 

HSR is a classic. Be nice to see yours.👍

2 hours ago, Tobyone said:

Big fan of rally cars from the 80's too :) 

Got a thread or pics of your T16?👌

Here you go. Still got lots to do with adding some detail. Its currently sitting on a TL01 I had spare, but will probably get changed. Not 100% sure about the wheels.

I have some fine mesh for the cut outs and some lens film for the lights, so I can add some LED's. 3D printed some wing mirrors and large hex's to throw the wheels out about more.

PfyhCn2.jpg

Kit3Qlv.jpg

oX1r5Gl.jpgYaU9szA.jpg

• Like 10

@Tobyone

That's looking 👌

How have you mounted it, can't see any post holes. Its something I struggle with when it's an undimpled/pre marked shell?

@Tobyone your braver than me. 👍

Some progress this evening, Well, more one step forward two back.

I had my heart set on the truck tyres to give the M chassis Minilites that fat tyred period correct look. They're way too tall unfortunately.

Id need to hack the arches to bits to make them work, not something I'm going to do.

52391708764_69ccd5ed7e_k.jpg

52391397021_1e67bcf92a_k.jpg

• Like 3

So I'm back to rally block M chassis tyres.(The road version are not as tall so look even smaller in the arch) 

The larger TT02 wheels which are correct for the chassis don't look right with this shell. They had 13' wheels in period not 18's😅

Anybody got any other suggestions? 🤷

52391708474_e0acd5529b_k.jpg

52391425241_017d5f8383_h.jpg

• Like 3

Hey Yoshimitsu, saw this on your Instagram but easier to reply on here. Your builds are amazing, so really excited to see this one. I too tried the truck tyres on the m-chassis rims for the same body and gave up, so I feel your pain! I ended up getting frustrated and ditched the shell after trying to cut the arches :(

Only suggestion I have is WPL 1/16 tyres, see attached photos on a Fiat rim. I only have an 037 to compare visually to see show it fills an arch, but they're approx 69mm outer diameter. Only main issue is they are stretching slightly to fit on the rim, so they "dip" in the middle, maybe some thick foams would help?

I'm currently trying to make the truck tyres work on the 037, but they're just a tad too tall, perfect for the rears, but not for the front. A 65-68mm OD rally tyre for m-chassis would be perfect, someone help!

IMG_5605.jpg

IMG_5606.jpg

IMG_5607.jpg

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Yoshimitsu said:

So I'm back to rally block M chassis tyres.(The road version are not as tall so look even smaller in the arch) 

The larger TT02 wheels which are correct for the chassis don't look right with this shell. They had 13' wheels in period not 18's😅

Anybody got any other suggestions? 🤷

52391708474_e0acd5529b_k.jpg

52391425241_017d5f8383_h.jpg

Can you take a side on pick with the rallyblocks on? I’m not sure they look wrong. Tamiya wheels are often too big to be scale because they fit a chassis not a body. I had that problem with the lotus Elise I tried as the wheels available just looked wrong😤Did you say you had tried 60D tyres. There’s also a 55 radial m chassis tyre, not a rally block?

• Like 1

@Busdriver

I think you're right they're not far away. I just need a taller profile tyre to convince me.

It doesn't look too bad here. I'm just wary of spending ££s chasing a combo that works. I have a set of truck tyres I can't use. Don't really want to add to them. I've got some tyres from my 2CV build which I'll try later.

52392492401_21c74ed127_k.jpg

• Like 3

@Joe Bo Thanks for the suggestion, the dip wouldn't bother me. I'd never drive it. Are the Fiat M chassis wheels? 

The other option is these but it's back to 'big' TT02 wheels..

52391590192_e617e8a5fa_k.jpg

Yes

16 minutes ago, Yoshimitsu said:

@Joe Bo Thanks for the suggestion, the dip wouldn't bother me. I'd never drive it. Are the Fiat M chassis wheels? 

Yes they are, I don't have any minilites to hand. I think they'd look great on the Talbot. From that side view I don't think the current m-chassis rally blocks are tall enough, I've had the same issue myself. 

You could try Grasshopper/Hornet fronts but they look too skinny. 

Are those L&L wheels based on HPI "vintage" or "cup racer" wheels? I think the HPI ones were called "MX60", they had a lower lip on one side to simulate a higher sidewall but are now rocking horse poo to find. I can see why L&L have produced those as there is a gap in the market there.

I'm not up to speed on the HPI wheels but what member Arjen has done to this Renault 5 body could be perfect:

img60304_913202254438_1_1100_.jpg

Edited by Joe Bo
to answer later post by Yoshimitsu
  • Like 2

ECC0EF90-C6A8-4097-81ED-9D202C1454A2.jpg
how about these. The wheels is almost the same diameter as M chassis but higher sidewalls. Because of the way they have been glued it’s difficult to measure exactly (not by me) OD is 63mm as opposed to m rally block is 59mm( depending on how worn they are. This tyre is a VTA 26mm wheel/tire by Protoform. If you pm me your address I can send you 2 so you can try them.?I need them back sometime but no real rush. At lease then you don’t invest lots and waste if they’re not ok?

• Like 2

The L&L wheels and tyres are actually one of their better items. Might be worth putting an e mail notification on the items. Every time I’ve done this within a week or so they have come in stock!!! Wether some  items they produce/ buy only if there’s demand. 

• Like 2

@Busdriver

Cheers for the offer of the loaners that's very kind. I may take you up on it. I'll try and get a hold of some cup racer reps in the meantime.🤞

I found this image from on here, someone has been through the same process. Quite a helpful picture to illustrate the cup racer size wheel against a 60mm on an M Chassis which looks quite close.

My head hurts with possible wheel tyre combinations.

52393074080_8e1a844b6e_c.jpg

7 minutes ago, Yoshimitsu said:

@Busdriver

Cheers for the offer of the loaners that's very kind. I may take you up on it. I'll try and get a hold of some cup racer reps in the meantime.🤞

Anytime!!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Yoshimitsu said:

My head hurts with possible wheel tyre combinations.

Oh man me too - I think all of my posts on this forum are about tyres - I'm weirdly obsessed with finding the right high sidewall and narrow tyres for scale builds. Something about the standard width tyres puts me off, I love seeing RC cars sliding about on skinny scale rubber for some reason. I wish what has happened in the Crawler world, with all the many aftermarket options and super scale stuff, would port over to rally and touring cars. I suppose there just isn't the demand. 

I'm currently trying to make a set of RC4WD trailer tyres fit an Alpine A110, spending waaaaay too much time looking at wheels that can fit, my head is battered. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Busdriver said:

ECC0EF90-C6A8-4097-81ED-9D202C1454A2.jpg
how about these. The wheels is almost the same diameter as M chassis but higher sidewalls. Because of the way they have been glued it’s difficult to measure exactly (not by me) OD is 63mm as opposed to m rally block is 59mm( depending on how worn they are. This tyre is a VTA 26mm wheel/tire by Protoform. If you pm me your address I can send you 2 so you can try them.?I need them back sometime but no real rush. At lease then you don’t invest lots and waste if they’re not ok?

Busdriver, those Protofrom wheels look great, always wondered about them and great to see how they look in real life - Yoshimitsu I think they'll work perfect on the Talbot!