Frankster

British Racing Green. PS9 or PS22

According to my color matching app, PS-22 is 97% match to TS-9 while PS-9 is a 95% match. 

40 minutes ago, alvinlwh said:

According to my color matching app, PS-22 is 97% match to TS-9 while PS-9 is a 95% match. 

Thanks. I wish there was a photo of both painted cars side by side. The lid of the cans are not the best representation.  

You reference TS-9 British Green. Sounds like PS-22 is the winner?   What app are you using?

32 minutes ago, Frankster said:

What app are you using?

"Hobby Color Converter" - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.pulgadas.hobbycolorconverter

Note that between TS and PS will never be a 100% match on the app as TS-9 is gloss while PS is flat/matt. 

32 minutes ago, Frankster said:

TS-9 British Green

TS-9 was what is called for when I built Tamiya's 24 scale Morris Mini and Lotus Super 7, both in BRG. 

8ag1CMm.jpg

eqrcpPN.jpg

You could try Core RC racing green. I’ve used it several times and I think it looks good. Not sure if it’s in any of the apps to get a % match though?

3 hours ago, Busdriver said:

You could try Core RC racing green. I’ve used it several times and I think it looks good. Not sure if it’s in any of the apps to get a % match though?

Unfortunately my local hobby store has Tamiya paints.   

1 hour ago, Frankster said:

Unfortunately my local hobby store has Tamiya paints.   

What country are you in? Several Uk companies do it mail order?

13 minutes ago, Frankster said:

Hong Kong

Best place in the world for modellers! 

2 hours ago, alvinlwh said:

Best place in the world for modellers! 

Unless you want Core RC paint😂

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Busdriver said:

Unless you want Core RC paint😂

So true…

HK is great for RC cars.  Lots of competition to keep prices low and not VAT. Unfortunately I have limited space to store my cars or to drive them. 

Our very own @Truck Norris made a stunning Porsche GT3 in ps-22. That will give you a good idea of how close it is to British Racing Green. Forgive me for not pasting a link to his work, it's easy to find as it's all over FB and probably TamiyaBase or even here on TC.

42 minutes ago, Frankster said:

Thanks @Pylon80. Just started another thread for people to see paint applied to bodies in real life CS a Tamiya color chart

I saw that and that's a great idea. I often search in Google in hope of finding examples of what a given PS color really look like. And with the variability of how the picture was taken and how the paint was backed, the more examples the better.

@Busdriver you did an Avante in BRG correct?  What did you use?

Strangely enough I’ve just been putting it back together with some new motive power. I believe it was the Core RC that I used. I also did an Elise body that actually doesn’t really work but the colour was great.391AA56A-D266-40A0-B5C4-21D0A531234F.jpg
D25F0A6F-9F41-477E-A6AC-96676A6A0F7D.jpg  @alvinlwh couldn’t you drop off a couple of cans on your trip!!!

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Busdriver said:

@alvinlwh couldn’t you drop off a couple of cans on your trip!!!

In order to get hold of some, I need to mail order them and the only one that will send me rattle cans is TTM and they do not sell RC Core paints. 

And not to mention Hong Kong is 1600 odd miles from Singapore. 

HJnZcMV.jpg

Hopefully next trip I can go to Hong Kong, they have an entire street of model shops, from static to RC to airsoft. 

aKJir0E.jpg

Just now, alvinlwh said:

In order to get hold of some, I need to mail order them and the only one that will send me rattle cans is TTM and they do not sell RC Core paints. 

And not to mention Hong Kong is 1600 odd miles from Singapore. 

HJnZcMV.jpg

Hopefully next trip I can go to Hong Kong, they have an entire street of model shops, from static to RC to airsoft. 

aKJir0E.jpg

I failed Geography!!!

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Busdriver said:

I failed Geography!!!

On a more serious note, thanks to the extreme falling £££, it seems to be cheaper to buy kits (at the moment) in the UK! 

I don’t think you can bring rattle cans on a plane. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Yes I have seen kits drop in price here as well.  Maybe supply chain and COVID is finished and demand is waiting? 🤞

5 hours ago, Busdriver said:

Strangely enough I’ve just been putting it back together with some new motive power. I believe it was the Core RC that I used. I also did an Elise body that actually doesn’t really work but the colour was great.391AA56A-D266-40A0-B5C4-21D0A531234F.jpg
D25F0A6F-9F41-477E-A6AC-96676A6A0F7D.jpg  @alvinlwh couldn’t you drop off a couple of cans on your trip!!!

Lovely green.  I started another thread for painted RC bodies.  Can you add your 2 cars to the mix?

I don’t think you can bring rattle cans on a plane. Please correct me if I am wrong.

I had travelled with a dozen cans of TS (=1.2l?) a few times before, no problem. However, now that I had found a UK source that will post to me, there is no longer a need. Spray paint is no more dangerous than, say, deodorant. 

From another forum - the danger from spray (of any kind) is not from it flammability (since CFC is banned, most spray cans uses flammable gas as a propellant anyway, look for the fire warning on your can of deodorant for example) but from pressure. Since large jets cargo hold are pressurised anyway, it makes no difference. 

From another website - TSA (USA) allows 68 fl oz (~2l) of spray products per piece of check in. 

At least in my experience, spray paint or deodorant looks the same on x-ray anyway and they don't care, at least for HKG, KUL and SIN. 

Spray paints of any kind are not allowed on airplanes. I have a few I would like to transport, on a scanner they would probably not be able to tell the difference between a paint spray and deodorant, for example, but I figure that the potential problems of being found transporting prohibited items far outweigh the very low cost of a couple of paint cans...

Also interested in the BRG though - PS-22 backed with silver might look pretty good?