Sign in to follow this  
Dakratfink

Resurrecting another T Maxx

So, I mentioned this project in the Big Tyre and Wheelie Rig thread earlier as an informal poll.   I want to preface this post by saying that I know there is a lot of Ill will toward the the big RTR brands out there with Tamiya enthusiasts being more or builder hobbyists than RTR fans. However , I feel the T Maxx ( and EMaxx) is a lot like the Clod in that you can build an almost complete one from aftermarket parts and most of the examples still running are “built not bought “ 
I already have one running T Maxx in my  collection ( which has an Intesting history as I owned the same truck twice ). I also have about a 90% complete Slider chassis.

In the other thread I asked if I ought to build the slider as another nitro, or convert it to E power . The consensus was since I  own a running TMaxx, convert it, since I already have the experience of running a nitro T Maxx. However, I just came across a “parts” engine for $25 USD that most likely is an actual runner and just needs a carb boot and a back plate . 
The cost of motor , battery mounts and transmission mods to convert to Electric would cost more than just dropping a buzzing engine back in at this point. And that is not even counting the ESC and motor for the E conversion. 
So , I think I’m going to have a nitro resurrection project on my hands this winter . 

Converting a T-maxx to electric is .... well, like buying an E-maxx. :)

I'm doing a bit of nitro renaissance myself, I just fired up my first one in 10 years. I stretched a rustler out to a Slash years ago and never even fired it up. That old Pro .15 fired in 4 pulls. Amazing. Running very well, I think the only thing that's rusty is my nitro tuning skills. Been a long time since I heard that sound and smell. Good stuff! 

I have a Nitro Stampede on my shelf as well, I plan a winter resurrection on that as well. Hasn't run in 15 years. We'll see.. 

Replacing the engine will be quite simple and minimal cost since nitro is becoming obsolete.  Almost any .12 or .15 engine will fit right in.  It will have to be anything other than a bump-start engine.  Pull start is ideal as the electric start mechanism is Traxxas-specific and the connector plug tends to wear quickly.

.12 engines tend to yield higher RPM but slight less power (speed).  .15 will yield more power but less top speed. Be cautious about buying used engines, as they lose their "pinch" as they wear out.

OS  and Picco are exceptional engine manufacturers.  RPM brand A-arms are among the best upgrades for a Maxx.

3 hours ago, SupraChrgd82 said:

.12 engines tend to yield higher RPM but slight less power (speed).  .15 will yield more power but less top speed. Be cautious about buying used engines, as they lose their "pinch" as they wear out.

The Traxxas 2.5 is the same displacement as their old Pro .15 but supposed to be an upgrade.  I should be able to piece together a running TRX 2.5 from parts even if just to get the truck rolling under its own power. 
If the engine in question craps out or loses compression prematurely I may look to upgrade to the Dynamite .19. I have heard nothing but good reviews of that one . 
My “other “ running TMaxx is still on its stock 2.5 with Traxxas electric start. 
the  project truck will be recoil start. 

On 9/29/2022 at 7:12 PM, M 800STD said:

I’m thinking I will probably piece the truck together with the spare TRX used engine, get all the kinks worked out if the chassis over time, then , when I decide to upgrade I’ll look at a Dynamite .19 .Although the links you showed above look good too. 

On 9/29/2022 at 1:41 PM, OldSchoolRC1 said:

I'm doing a bit of nitro renaissance myself, I just fired up my first one in 10 years. I stretched a rustler out to a Slash years ago and never even fired it up. That old Pro .15 fired in 4 pulls. Amazing. Running very well, I think the only thing that's rusty is my nitro tuning skills. Been a long time since I heard that sound and smell. Good stuff! 

I have a Nitro Stampede on my shelf as well, I plan a winter resurrection on that as well. Hasn't run in 15 years. We'll see.. 

Well, that escalated quickly... Since I wrote that, I've picked up 3 T-maxx's... all for $140 or less each. 

One nitro - restored with a few hop ups I've had laying around for nearly 20 years:

20221122-100759-SM.jpg

20221028-145003-SM.jpg

One I've converted to a crawler/trail truck. Does a lot better than you might think, and gets a ton of attention out on the trail. 

20221222-144926-SM.jpg

20221110-084111-SM.jpg

...and a third one I've converted to an LCG electric basher.  Body still TBD.

20221217-180300-SM.jpg

• Like 3

Bit of a project update :

I pieced together a mostly compete chassis and decided on a Dynamite .19 for motivation.

I also decided to restore my old T Maxx to narrow track suspension arms

1AE72BA8-FBE2-4465-B973-451C9FB5049A.jpeg

I’m not 100% married to the paint job on the body, but I have it on hand and I can dress it up with some decals. ( it came with a stash of parts) 

F9348037-A510-4CCE-B452-1F24BF894080.jpeg

• Like 1

On 9/29/2022 at 12:41 PM, OldSchoolRC1 said:

I keep finding nitro Stampede and Rustler examples for sale on auction sites.Some cheap, some less so. I’ve always liked the simplicity and durability of my E Stampede. 
I also really like the parts availability of the 2wd Traxxas platforms.

Maybe one day I’ll add one or the other to my  stable. 

• Like 1

Nice. I picked up an almost new first release T-Maxx last year as a birthday present to myself. Still haven't decided what to do with it as it is unpainted, undriven, and almost new. It had one tank of fuel run through it in and then packed back up. Never got through break in. Seems like too much of a survivor to drive.

Rebuilt my Nitro Rustler over winter... A lot has changed since it was last driven. 2.2" tyres aren't even a thing anymore.

• Like 1