toyolien

Double Cardans for TT-02??

Has anyone fitted double cardans to the front of a TT-02 (Not Type-S)?

I know Tamiya don't list a set specifically for the TT-02. but they do offer a 39mm set. I just wondered before I order a set whether anyone had come across any issues fitting them.

Particularly interested in whether the outer bearing needs changing as with some other cardan fitting.

top.jpg

Thanks for any help. :D

Are the tt01 and tt02 the same size front Knuckle/upright?

If so I can check tonight 

Ooh. Not sure. The 53792 universal shafts fit the TT01 and TT02 so I would think the knuckles would be the same. 

Be great if you could check👍

Toyolien , I fitted them to my TT02-RR. The one that comes is too short. The cross pin doesn’t clear the bearing, even with the narrower inner bearing. You will need the dcj axle for the TRF420, which is slightly longer. Then shim it slightly 

3 hours ago, Raman36 said:

Toyolien , I fitted them to my TT02-RR. The one that comes is too short. The cross pin doesn’t clear the bearing, even with the narrower inner bearing. You will need the dcj axle for the TRF420, which is slightly longer. Then shim it slightly 

Would you remember which part numbers you used? Did you get a full DCJ set plus a set of swing shafts separately? Thank you 🙂

5 hours ago, Raman36 said:

Thanks very much for the info. Not sure I want to go to that much trouble for what will only really be a car park racer.

I did think that it might not be as simple as just bolting some on.

TT-01 and TT-02 would use same length swing shaft. TT-02 Type-S is different length.

but would the length of the double cardan be the same as the CVD? wouldnt the double joint make it longer with the same length swing shaft?  im assuming a shorter swing shaft would be needed.

Rc Universal Shaft Assembly

6 hours ago, Raman36 said:

The cross pin doesn’t clear the bearing, even with the narrower inner bearing.

I have re-read this multiple times 😅 and I think it makes sense now. The cross pin here refers to the wheel hex pin, right? I had notices the various part numbers for DCJ axles and didn't know one of them was too short for the TT-02. It does get expensive when combining the DCJ bag plus the axles... Thank you for the info in any case!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Alexei said:

TT-01 and TT-02 would use same length swing shaft. TT-02 Type-S is different length.

but would the length of the double cardan be the same as the CVD? wouldnt the double joint make it longer with the same length swing shaft?  im assuming a shorter swing shaft would be needed.

Rc Universal Shaft Assembly

My understanding is that Tamiya always refer to the length as if they were simple universals. So a "39mm" DCJ is the same fitment as a 39mm universal even if the swing shaft part is much shorter for the reason you mentioned. At least this is what I noticed on my M-05 "33mm" DCJ's. 👍

1 hour ago, toyolien said:

Thanks very much for the info. Not sure I want to go to that much trouble for what will only really be a car park racer.

I did think that it might not be as simple as just bolting some on.

Have the others answered your question mate? I can still mock up a DCJ in a TT01 upright if needed!?

5 minutes ago, svenb said:

Have the others answered your question mate? I can still mock up a DCJ in a TT01 upright if needed!?

If it's no trouble for you I'd still like you to measure. Just in case I decide to try it. Thanks👍

• Like 1

They fit but not quite!

Obviously a thinner inner bearing is needed, 3.5mm would be perfect but don't know if they exist. Failing that as @Raman36 rightly points out the slightly longer 420 axle is required.

DSC_0462.JPG

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, svenb said:

They fit but not quite!

Obviously a thinner inner bearing is needed, 3.5mm would be perfect but don't know if they exist. Failing that as @Raman36 rightly points out the slightly longer 420 axle is required.

DSC_0462.JPG

Marvellous. Thanks for taking the time to do that. 👍

16 hours ago, svenb said:

They fit but not quite!

DSC_0462.JPG

😂 precisely Sven, I jumped down this rabbit hole back in March! 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Raman36 said:

😂 precisely Sven, I jumped down this rabbit hole back in March! 

But was it worth it!?

13 minutes ago, svenb said:

But was it worth it!?

I think we should start a "Thousand-dollars-or-bust TT-02 build off" to award the most expensive shameless builds.

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Pylon80 said:

I think we should start a "Thousand-dollars-or-bust TT-02 build off" to award the most expensive shameless builds.

I may enter that with my TL01 😳

Even though it's not a TT

That's not bad @svenb haha! In the end it doesn't matter if you end up with a good car and a good learning experience. At least that was the case for me.