smirk-racing

Completely reversed XV-01?? Pretty wild...

Hi All,

Thought the XV-01 fans on the forum might find this interesting. I came across a complete 3-d printed design for an xv-01 chassis in which the motor hangs off the back end of the chassis. Given that the XV-01's main claim to fame is the front-motor and resulting weight distribution, I was quite intrigued that somebody went to the trouble to completely reverse that design.

Here are some pics:

15473240_ScreenShot2022-10-12at4_59_32PM.thumb.png.e54924641be95988a0c2b351171a2748.png

(images taken from designer's web posting, linked just below)

The designer of this chassis seems creative and thoughtful, and appears to have a lot of experience with RC Rally. He claims this chassis performs better than stock.

Here's the site where you can read more about the chassis:

https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/game/tamiya-xv-01-rc-rally-car-kit-model-2021

What do you all think about this?

I'm pretty curious.... as I'm currently trying dial the oversteer out of my newly-assembled long damper XV-01 (built very carefully per the manual). Even on silvercan I get tremendous over-rotation.

• Like 2

Cant say im convinced by the steering setup and the arrngement of the tie rods to the uprights

• Like 1

I agree - pretty interesting design choices. The bent arms mean no adjustment of links while installed - they'd have to be pulled off and adjusted one end at a time. I am hoping I can find a way to keep the links straight.

Well, it's interesting, I'll give it that.  Who knows, maybe it even works well, on loose terrain?  I love crazy outside-the-box stuff like that, but there are some things about it that just don't look quite right.  Steering links direct off the servo aren't a perfect solution, but I suppose keeping the bell crank wasn't possible with the chassis redesign.

That motor must run backwards, but I guess that's not a problem for brushless if the can is zero-timed.

Oversteer with the standard XV-01 is part of the charm, in my experience.  I have the Asterion, and with Tamiya's stock hard tyres it does lovely 4 wheel drifts on my patio with a mid-power brushless system installed.  I really like the way it drives, as a basher, but I suppose if you were racing you might want something a bit more balanced.

• Like 1

I seem to remember “Fyrestormer” on Ultimate RC doing something like this with FF-04 parts. He’s still active on RCTech. He does some really neat builds.

If it performs better than stock for him in his application/conditions, then kudos to him for chasing his goal and finding a design that works.

At first glance it seems to have an anti-Ackermann steering arrangement with some degree of bump steer, and the total chassis looks like the mass is concentrated at the ends leading to a high polar moment of inertia.  Therefore, kind of an unusual steering setup with some sensitivity to bumps and a resistance to turning.  It's about as opposite as you can get from a normal touring car with mid-motor, mid-battery, mid-servo layout, standard Ackermann, and virtually no bump steer.  But that's just a feeling, not a measured result.  Maybe in really low-grip conditions this setup makes the car easier to control overall.

If he's winning races and accomplishing his goals, good for him!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Big Jon said:

I seem to remember “Fyrestormer”...

He is the BFF @Raman36 in RCtech :lol:

But honestly, he's very annoying and always has to have the last say about so many things. He would always insist his way even when most of the time, obvious that he's wrong of pushing a lot of his speculations based on no-trial/no-experience comments. One funny thing is that he insist the importance of slipper clutch in FF-03 and XV-01. But many of us who owns both chassis don't agree. Of course it will always depend on the application but he'd still force the matter that it's a must.

• Haha 2

The layout reminds me of the MF-01X, being 4WD with the motor on the back, although using a shaft transmission instead of belt.

See the source image

• Like 2

I know even more interesting mod:

https://embieracing.com/blog/2022/07/embieracing-carbon-chassis-rebuild-kit-for-tamiya-xv01-allinone/

Anyway, author of the rear motor mod claims that the weight distribution is close to 50:50, which could work. Most of modded XVs used in CZ move the battery rearwards, because stock configuration has too much weight on the front.

I always thought that it'd be interesting to swap front and rear gearboxes, but with motor in front of rear axle (like TA03F Vs TA03R) - routing the belt would be challenging though... 

15 hours ago, Superluminal said:

Cant say im convinced by the steering setup and the arrngement of the tie rods to the uprights

This is quite common solution that works well. But I never liked it either 😀 Early versions had outer tie rod ends in front of wheels, which was later regulated in some championships because it looked awful.

10 hours ago, Nicadraus said:

He is the BFF @Raman36 in RCtech :lol:

But honestly, he's very annoying and always has to have the last say about so many things. He would always insist his way even when most of the time, obvious that he's wrong of pushing a lot of his speculations based on no-trial/no-experience comments. One funny this is that he insist the importance of slipper clutch on FF-03 and XV-01. But many of us who owns both chassis don't agree. Of course it will always depend on the application but he'd still force the matter that it's a must.

😂🤣😂🤣 the slipper fetishist. He would try to convince a dead horse that it’s not dead 

We’re fortunate he doesn’t frequent us here.. let’s all count our blessings 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Rear engined seems very retro (Optima era). Looking at the MF-01X @OoALEJOoO posted a pic of, the battery is waaaaaay forward to try and compensate for the weight behind the rear axle.

But kudos to the builder for scratch building his own idea. 

3 hours ago, Raman36 said:

😂🤣😂🤣 the slipper fetishist. He would try to convince a dead horse that it’s not dead 

We’re fortunate he doesn’t frequent us here.. let’s all count our blessings 

Dude has a lot of good ideas and creates some interesting stuff, but yes, he’s never been wrong in his life and is an authority on a lot of subjects. Our hobby attracts some interesting characters, not all of whom are easy to get along with.

That said, I do like a slipper on the XV off-road, for the same reasons I like a slipper in buggies, trucks, and so on.

18 minutes ago, Big Jon said:

Our hobby attracts some interesting characters, not all of whom are easy to get along with.

TC is still the nicest RC forum with virtually no "troll" behaviors and no misspelled cryptic teenage cell phone replies. I'm not a member on RC tech, I just "look" in there with I'm searching for something I can't find here and it IS really nice in here 😅 I am guessing the "collector" aspect of TC attracts older members? But now we're going way off topic!

Back to this rear engine chassis. I have always wanted to try a FF-03 flipped front to rear to make a rear engine RWD chassis. Would probably not be straight forward. Too many cool projects and too little time, as often.

• Like 1

The stock xv01 has a 60/40 bias I need to get off my *** and finish my xv02 so it can go on the 4 point scales. 

does seem a bit odd putting the motor at the back like that, if you really wanted a 50:50 weight distribution you might be better off converting an existing touring car.