Alexei

TA-02 vs TT-02D

which one would you buy if you was looking at the TA-02 re-release and TT-02 Type-D?

im having itchy fingers and ideas for something new. had a TT-01D which i sold around the time oi moved away from home. it didnt have a  lot of hop ups, but i think it was my most fun car to drive at that time. so the idea is to somewhat recreate that, but with another chassis.

Part of the fun with a drift car seems to involve adding lots of blingy bits that may or may not make any difference to the performance. There are a lot more blingy bits available for the TT-02 platform. 😁

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Alexei said:

which one would you buy if you was looking at the TA-02 re-release and TT-02 Type-D?

im having itchy fingers and ideas for something new. had a TT-01D which i sold around the time oi moved away from home. it didnt have a  lot of hop ups, but i think it was my most fun car to drive at that time. so the idea is to somewhat recreate that, but with another chassis.

If you already have the TT-01D, I think the TT-02D would be sort of a sideways step? The TA-02 on the other hand will have that vintage Tamiya-ness :) which might fit better your goal of AWD drifting - which is the old-school way.

That said, you will probably want a one way unit for drifting. If that is the case consider that the TT-01/TT-02's have one readily available but the TA-02 one might be a lot harder to come by.

im not considering the TT-02D because it is the drift version, but because of the included hop ups it has over an stock TT-02. it is just for a street runner with normal grip tires. already have 3 drifters :)

4 minutes ago, Pylon80 said:

If you already have the TT-01D, I think the TT-02D would be sort of a sideways step? The TA-02 on the other hand will have that vintage Tamiya-ness :) which might fit better your goal of AWD drifting - which is the old-school way.

That said, you will probably want a one way unit for drifting. If that is the case consider that the TT-01/TT-02's have one readily available but the TA-02 one might be a lot harder to come by.

i dont have the TT-01D anymore, i sold it in 2013.

also i think i forgot to clarify the end purpose, it isnt for drift as i have 3 other drifters (Yokomo MR-4TC SD drift package, Yokomo YD-2E and a MST RMX 2.5S). just looking to run with normal grip tires.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Alexei said:

im not considering the TT-02D because it is the drift version, but because of the included hop ups it has over an stock TT-02. it is just for a street runner with normal grip tires. already have 3 drifters :)

I agree that the TT02D makes the most sense, just needs some new tyres and it has everything you need to address the major shortcomings.

I have a few TT02 (the D and B variants) and I'm not a fan. They are decent for mucking around but have a lot of slop everywhere and need a few things done to them, which makes them expensive. The TA or TB cars would be a better starting point. 

I have a Top Force but not a road going TA02 and I rate the Top Force miles above the TT02B. The TT02 probably has a more efficient drivetrain and is much easier to change gearing on, but otherwise the TA02 would win for me hands down. 

My son raced a TT02 in a spec class (started as a TT02D) and we had to upgrade the front dog bones to universals, alloy wheel hexes, high torque servo saver and put some washers in the front kingpins,  and that was just to get it to finish 5min races. People do a lot more like driveshaft, steering etc but that all gets expensive. 

If i was looking for a carpark basher I'd look for a TB03 or TB05, but the TA02 is probably just as good.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Alexei said:

Ah, I see. In that case, I'd recommend the TT-02 Type S. Basically a TB-03 with a more readily available chassis tub, it is an excellent street runner with the shortcomings of a standard TT-02 already addressed by the included hop-ups. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

I agree that the TT02D makes the most sense, just needs some new tyres and it has everything you need to address the major shortcomings.

I have a few TT02 (the D and B variants) and I'm not a fan. They are decent for mucking around but have a lot of slop everywhere and need a few things done to them, which makes them expensive. The TA or TB cars would be a better starting point. 

I have a Top Force but not a road going TA02 and I rate the Top Force miles above the TT02B. The TT02 probably has a more efficient drivetrain and is much easier to change gearing on, but otherwise the TA02 would win for me hands down. 

My son raced a TT02 in a spec class (started as a TT02D) and we had to upgrade the front dog bones to universals, alloy wheel hexes, high torque servo saver and put some washers in the front kingpins,  and that was just to get it to finish 5min races. People do a lot more like driveshaft, steering etc but that all gets expensive. 

If i was looking for a carpark basher I'd look for a TB03 or TB05, but the TA02 is probably just as good.

havent considered the TB-03, because it doesnt seem to be as readily available as the two others. same with spare parts and hop ups. i had enough of hunting hop ups for my FF-03 and want something easier to find this time. not sure about the TB-05 either, i would like a tub chassis more. the TA-02 is tempting because i have not driven something old school like that before. also it has an interesting motor position. but after some reading i hear the drivetrain isnt that efficient. also needs some modification if i want to use a lipo battery.

14 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

Ah, I see. In that case, I'd recommend the TT-02 Type S. Basically a TB-03 with a more readily available chassis tub, it is an excellent street runner with the shortcomings of a standard TT-02 already addressed by the included hop-ups. 

i already got an TT-02S :)  it's just built for another purpose, has as 4300KV brushless setup, so i wont buy one more Type-S. this time im going for more of a scale look, which will use a Tamiya sport tuned motor with a 2S lipo, but also must fit the narrow Tamiya bodies. i found that the TT-02S is actually wider than the regular TT-02.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Alexei said:

i already got an TT-02S :)  it's just built for another purpose, has as 4300KV brushless setup, so i wont buy one more Type-S.

TA-02 all the way then. If you have already experienced the joys of a Type S, I suspect that you'll be a bit disappointed with any of the lower spec versions. I know that when I built the "For the Mogs" charity giveaway TT-02, it felt very toy-like compared to my Type S, and while grateful for the opportunity to build it, it is not a car I would have wanted to keep.

My TA-02 on the other hand was an engaging build by comparison, and has far more of a hobby-grade feel. I consider it a worthy addition to my fleet. 

• Thanks 1

i know what you mean with the plastics. i got the standard TT-02 suspension parts in my TT-02S box and a did notice they feel kind of cheap.

the benefit with the TT-02D is that it comes with the sport tuned motor, bearings and body shells i like.  on the other hand, i havent driven an old school car like the TA-02, and the TA-02 would also be a tad cheaper with the hop ups i would want to get. also, it will require some modding to make the lipo battery fit.

so far, i think im leaning to TA-02. will have to find out what to do to run a lipo.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Alexei said:

so far, i think im leaning to TA-02. will have to find out what to do to run a lipo.

You can get round lipo stick packs that fit right in...

yeah, but i have a square hard case lipo. i would prefer to have one battery i can use on all my cars.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Alexei said:

yeah, but i have a square hard case lipo. i would prefer to have one battery i can use on all my cars.

If you don't want to get a rounded battery that fits the chassis, it isn't too hard to make the chassis fit a rectangular battery. There is enough space and enough plastic to open out the battery bay using a file without significantly weakening the structure. 

5 hours ago, Alexei said:

Pushes your spend up a bit but maybe add a carbon chassis conversion kit? I run my 40th anniversary 934 Porsche that has it with a Gens Ace square pack LiPo, it’s a nice snug fit that it sits in there fine without any battery retainers.

I did buy a Shorty LiPo not long ago in preparation for a TA02 tub chassis project I have going right now and that fits in there without any mods 👍🏻

(A Shorty LiPo is cheaper than a Carbon Chassis)

If you’ve already got a tt02 then it makes sense to try out a ta02.

A word of warning though as a on road car the tt01/02 runs rings around even the most bombed to heck TA02, it’s a old car and the handling is comparatively terrible in stock form, it can be made manageable with a lot of work, but the flimsy bendy suspension is only made worse by acres of slop and a chassis combination that forever seems to be tweeked and never straight or square. 

if you don’t know any better, it’s fine, but for me the nostalgia is actually best served as a shelf queen. 

the DF01 platform is actually a fantastic off road basher.. TA01/2 fails to impress on the road by todays standards. It’s not terrible as a on/off road hacker. 

if the plan wasn’t to put the car into hard service then I’m all for the more TA02’s in the collection the better.

What exactly do you want out of the car that’s making you choose either TT02D or ta02 Rere? 

have you considered a regular xv01? Most of the hopups have been Re released as many fit xv02. It’s pretty decent on the street in stock form, but switch up the springs if you want a more street specific drive. The xv01 has all the pro level on road setup ability’s but with a 60/40 weight distribution. I can guarantee it’ll be far more fun to drive than a TA02 or TT chassis if your just looking for rubber tyre lol’s.

13 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

If you don't want to get a rounded battery that fits the chassis, it isn't too hard to make the chassis fit a rectangular battery. There is enough space and enough plastic to open out the battery bay using a file without significantly weakening the structure. 

i did see some people do that, i think that could be the solution.

8 hours ago, Re-Bugged said:

Pushes your spend up a bit but maybe add a carbon chassis conversion kit? I run my 40th anniversary 934 Porsche that has it with a Gens Ace square pack LiPo, it’s a nice snug fit that it sits in there fine without any battery retainers.

I did buy a Shorty LiPo not long ago in preparation for a TA02 tub chassis project I have going right now and that fits in there without any mods 👍🏻

(A Shorty LiPo is cheaper than a Carbon Chassis)

the carbon chassis could be an option, but it is a bit expensive. cost aside, i also think the chassis bottom is get scratched up, which wouldnt be too nice with such an expensive part. and im not sure if i would getting any performance benefits either (or use for what it provides). so in my case i think the money would be better spent on something else.

8 hours ago, Juls1 said:

If you’ve already got a tt02 then it makes sense to try out a ta02.

A word of warning though as a on road car the tt01/02 runs rings around even the most bombed to heck TA02, it’s a old car and the handling is comparatively terrible in stock form, it can be made manageable with a lot of work, but the flimsy bendy suspension is only made worse by acres of slop and a chassis combination that forever seems to be tweeked and never straight or square. 

if you don’t know any better, it’s fine, but for me the nostalgia is actually best served as a shelf queen. 

the DF01 platform is actually a fantastic off road basher.. TA01/2 fails to impress on the road by todays standards. It’s not terrible as a on/off road hacker. 

if the plan wasn’t to put the car into hard service then I’m all for the more TA02’s in the collection the better.

What exactly do you want out of the car that’s making you choose either TT02D or ta02 Rere? 

have you considered a regular xv01? Most of the hopups have been Re released as many fit xv02. It’s pretty decent on the street in stock form, but switch up the springs if you want a more street specific drive. The xv01 has all the pro level on road setup ability’s but with a 60/40 weight distribution. I can guarantee it’ll be far more fun to drive than a TA02 or TT chassis if your just looking for rubber tyre lol’s.

the goal is not anything crazy. the most fun car i have had that wasnt a drifter, was my TT-01D with grip tires. didnt have many hop ups, the only things i got separately was wheel axles and aluminium prop shaft, and was driven with a sport tuned motor. i dont have it anymore, it was sold in 2013 when i moved. the goal is the make something similar, a street racer/basher with a scale look to it. thats why im looking at the TT-02D and TA-02. will use a Tamiya sport tuned motor, but with a 2S lipo.  i find pros and cons for both cars, so its not that easy to decide (but im leaning to TA-02 at the moment).

havent thought of the XV-01. i would prefer a shaft driven over belt, and i found that the aluminium spur gear mount that is used for FF-03/XV-01 is super difficult to find, so im not sure how about how easy other parts can found. so havent really dug deeper into the XV-01, but it has an interesting layout.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Alexei said:

i did see some people do that, i think that could be the solution.

the carbon chassis could be an option, but it is a bit expensive. cost aside, i also think the chassis bottom is get scratched up, which wouldnt be too nice with such an expensive part. and im not sure if i would getting any performance benefits either (or use for what it provides). so in my case i think the money would be better spent on something else.

the goal is not anything crazy. the most fun car i have had that wasnt a drifter, was my TT-01D with grip tires. didnt have many hop ups, the only things i got separately was wheel axles and aluminium prop shaft, and was driven with a sport tuned motor. i dont have it anymore, it was sold in 2013 when i moved. the goal is the make something similar, a street racer/basher with a scale look to it. thats why im looking at the TT-02D and TA-02. will use a Tamiya sport tuned motor, but with a 2S lipo.  i find pros and cons for both cars, so its not that easy to decide (but im leaning to TA-02 at the moment).

havent thought of the XV-01. i would prefer a shaft driven over belt, and i found that the aluminium spur gear mount that is used for FF-03/XV-01 is super difficult to find, so im not sure how about how easy other parts can found. so havent really dug deeper into the XV-01, but it has an interesting layout.

I think if you’ve not tried a TA02 before then it sounds like it’s a itch you need to scratch. 

spent some time looking into how to fit a square lipo battery in a TA-02. found a thread about this topic, but now i suspect even if i modify the chassis to a square shape, my battery is a bit too long, by about 8mm...

im thinking about just to go with a round hardcase 2S lipo that fits instead, costs about 40€. but it is 'only' 4000mAh. my square hardcase is 7000mAh.

TT02 is vastly more efficient, and the much better runner, at least in my opinion...  TA02 is the more interesting build.  I guess it depends on what you're after...

i have settled for the TA-02, if im going to do it. the old school/classic drive from something like a TA02 is not something i have tried before.

i am considering an MST XXX-R to fill the TT-02D place, if i should still want some modern onroad chassis.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Alexei said:

im thinking about just to go with a round hardcase 2S lipo that fits instead, costs about 40€. but it is 'only' 4000mAh. my square hardcase is 7000mAh.

I found the wires that are on my Gens Ace LiPo Stick pack to be thicker & stiffer than on a NiMH and bulge’s the side of a bodyshell out a bit on some chassis’s.

Core RC’s one’s I believe are popular in Tamiya’s but we don’t get them in Australia.

Here’s a Shorty pack I’ve just test fitted in a TA02 tub,

5FDF9D02-A4C8-4D4C-8015-50675F29536D.jpg

I made a mech deck for the ESC over the top of the servo out of some Perspex I had laying around as the Sand Scorcher body is a tight fit so no room for the wires out the side if I use my Stick pack.

• Thanks 1