Kowalski86

Any thoughts on Traxxas?

Traxxas stuff is really very, very good. The plastics they use are exceptionally strong, although the steel they use for hingepins and gears could be stronger for the speed and power of the vehicles. There’s no “exotic” materials in any of ‘em, either.

Certain vehicles, like the TRX4, are class leaders, too. The E-Revo 2.0 is the best “true” independent suspension MT, and other designs have revolutionized or rejuvenated categories.

Somehow, though, everything just seems soulless, like there’s nothing special about them. With the exception of the Funny Car, they’ve never made a “pretty “ chassis, and they’ve only recently started styling the individual parts.

Traxxas makes solid stuff, the type of stuff that I’m entirely comfortable recommending to people, and probably provides an experience more in line with average consumers expectations. The proprietary electronics ecosystem, with those stupid ID connectors and idiot proof chargers, really chafes me, and I hate their business practices. Even so, if you want an RTR with excellent parts support, superb customer service and solid build quality, you will be happy with a Traxxas. They don’t target my areas of interest.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Big Jon said:

Somehow, though, everything just seems soulless, like there’s nothing special about them. With the exception of the Funny Car, they’ve never made a “pretty “ chassis, and they’ve only recently started styling the individual parts.

I can agree with you about them not making "pretty" chassis, but both the Rustler and Slash HCG chassis have been very useful as trays to hold my screws/tools whenever I work on them, less so the Stampedes brick chassis.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Big Jon said:

they’ve never made a “pretty “ chassis,

7 hours ago, Kowalski86 said:

can agree with you about them not making "pretty" chassis,

I'll agree with that. I was mulling over buying a Stampede 4x4 kit someone bought but didn't start. I like the idea of the kit but I find the Stampede 4x4 chassis to be ugly. I've been trying to come up with ideas to make it less so, but when I do that to a vehicle I haven't even started, I wonder if I should consider purchasing it at all. I've held off trying the Super Avante for the same reason, only because of its body and not chassis.

5 hours ago, Saito2 said:

I'll agree with that. I was mulling over buying a Stampede 4x4 kit someone bought but didn't start. I like the idea of the kit but I find the Stampede 4x4 chassis to be ugly. I've been trying to come up with ideas to make it less so, but when I do that to a vehicle I haven't even started, I wonder if I should consider purchasing it at all. I've held off trying the Super Avante for the same reason, only because of its body and not chassis.

If that unfinished kits on discount I'd buy it, but if you're used to Tamiya you'll find it to be much bigger, heavier and probably too straight forward.

I'd buy it over an Avante though, you can get some good bodies for Stampedes. Avantes just look a bit dull to me.

On 11/20/2022 at 5:48 PM, Big Jon said:

they’ve never made a “pretty “ chassis

Gotta disagree with you all on this one. The Bullet was beautiful (if flawed) and I would also submit the Hawk/Radicator platform, especially the version with white nylon and gold ano aluminum like the old RC10s.