Nikko85

MF01x trail Jeep Jurassic Park

F14b5e0.jpeg

New doors. 

Also printed all four sand paddle wheels and fitted with a 45T motor.

Performance with these tires is so much better but much less scale so will swap between them. Had fun climbing up pillows with these wheels so I feel they will take hard trails well for a small car. 45T gives nice low end throttle response, might be too fast.

Still waiting (or even weighting, ha) for brass bumper, 10 x 10 mm of solid brass at around 140 g to bring the front down, which should mean when I lift a front tire the other stays on the floor.

Main job now is to finish the bumper, add accessories like the spare wheel, bumper lights and winch and then paint.

• Like 1

On 11/19/2022 at 3:16 AM, OoALEJOoO said:

Looking great @Nikko85! What is your plan for livery and stickers?

Screenprintdigital.com seems to have a set for 1/10 and 1/18.

RC Rock Crawler 'JURASSIC PARK' 10th 1/10 scale stickers decals | Screenprintdigital1 (screenprintdigitalstickers.com)

Many thanks!

I ordered those stickers in 1/18 scale. Although my car is a small 1/12 when measured the 1/18 seemed to fit much better.

It feels almost done now. Annoyingly the brass bar for the bumper had either been stolen or fell out the packaging in transport, so I've had to order a second from somewhere else after the original eBay seller has ignored all emails. This has delayed the last part of the performance development.

In the end I did a @Willy iine and channeled hope to use plasticard for the door.

dA3hVoz.jpeg

I also had to saw off the gas can as it was glued on which would have made painting hard. I can now paint the rear and reattach the gas can with screws The gas can is not strictly movie accurate but that is fine, it looks realistic and scale.

Ffy3mLL.jpeg

I've now got to paint. Will mask off the red parts and paint it all with the saraha beige. Then sticker time.

I also found 4 more tires on eBay so I've got a spare for the rear and three other spares. I am considering having the tamiya spanner in the rear as a scale tool so I could do an actual tire change. 

For real scalers I always thought it would be cool for bonus points for a scale repair kit and tools in the car. I.e. wrench, nuts, bolts, screws etc.

• Haha 1

I finished painting. It's not 100% perfect as the Jeep had a few scratches, but that's fine. It'll get scratches and dents as I drive, so any defects now will match the weathering to come. I am temped to give it a brown wash or something to show some mud but I've no idea how, and I'd be worried I'd really mess it up. If anyone has a fool proof method let me know. Could even do shoe polish perhaps? I really like that weathered look.

In the end I decided just to keep the red parts unpainted, mask those up and just paint beige. The colour match to the film is really good and I was super lucky I was able to use my favourite brand of Hycote. It dries hard and in about 10 mins, with few fumes so I was able to paint outside today. The red was already spot on to what I wanted so I thought there was not much point painting, and a benefit of this method is that any overspray can be easily scrapped off back to the red plastic. I will probably clear coat satin. 

The lines aren't a perfect match to the film as this is a 85 Renegade vs a 92 Wrangler, but I did my best to make something sympathetic but also pleasing in it's own right.

Mv1lTzk.jpg

cu8hNkd.jpg

uuyqcla.jpg

4LjQjUi.jpg

Nice stickers. Door edges need a clear up.

Sgj423l.jpg

Most of spray lines pretty good, used blue cheap painters tape (12 rolls for £10 on Amazon, I order for work by the thousand so always have a little spare)

uILlFic.jpg

I sharpied the window wipers, as they were just part of the clear plastic

89brCAF.jpg

3D printed wheel, painted red. Again I probably should take down with 240 grit again, paint, wire wool then clear coat. But they'll probably just get muddy soon.

pEpnUVk.jpg

+ spare wheel at the back. Waiting for the spare tires to arrive. The Jerry Can/Gas Can still needs to be fixed and I need to add the rear bumper.

qngvCvC.jpg

It's pretty darn small. It's an accurate 1/12, but it's not a huge vehicle by any means. Works nicely with the FJ40 GF01 and Pumpkin. 

Still to do:

• Clean up the lines on the doors (somewhat)
  • Clear coat? Maybe shoe polish to give some grime first
  • Drill and install the heavy brass bumper to bring the front down
  • Add fake bumper lights and winch
  • Add the cat to drive it (obviously)

But it's getting there. I think this has perhaps been my favourite RC project to date. I will take some photos with the sand paddle tires too, these don't look at scale, but give a huge boost in performance

• Like 3

Looks really great! Great to hear you'll have Edgarmon behind the wheel (with a Jurassic Park hat would be awesome!).

Have you considered adding some panel lines on the main edges. Hood edge, hood hinges, fenders, that little grill just below the windshield, etc. A fine sharpie should do the trick.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, OoALEJOoO said:

Looks really great! Great to hear you'll have Edgarmon behind the wheel (with a Jurassic Park hat would be awesome!).

Have you considered adding some panel lines on the main edges. Hood edge, hood hinges, fenders, that little grill just below the windshield, etc. A fine sharpie should do the trick.

Many thanks.

I will look into panel lines. I had heard a Gundam paint pen is the best, but happy to try a sharpie.

Edgarmon will be going in. I need to 3D print some legs for him to fit the seats so I have not stuck him in yet.

I had a drive with the sand paddle ties and they are epic. Mild flex shot below..

LQ6vwIy.jpeg

They also don't look stupidly large either and the ability to tackle long grass is a real plus. 

Still waiting for a brass square section to make a bumper before it is finally finished. I think extra weight at the front will really help keep the front down.

• Like 3

On 12/4/2022 at 10:16 PM, Kevin_Mc said:

Looking forward to seeing Edgarmon sitting proudly inside  ❤️ 

Thanks. I just need to paint him now and install, paint arriving today.

In terms of the build it is done. I added a solid brass bumper to add weight to the front, then painted black. I then used double side foam tape to add rubber at the very front to give some protection to furniture.

Jp number plate added.

i8c6nlL.jpeg

BTClXt9.jpeg

ye0VJLY.jpeg

JOmvh1b.jpeg

Update. Painted the cat. Will install tomorrow and it's all done.

SxrrVXg.jpeg

• Like 1

Finally completed with Edgarmon. I was able to take out for some pictures.

iN7iJhV.jpg

y1e98Mz.jpg

Eobvy1z.jpg

fNeub0B.jpg

tJ6huGq.jpg

RLJ1Ql0.jpg

AgFxBXd.jpg

rjEjguV.jpg

8tWi1sd.jpg

Really happy with how it turned out in the end! Running the sand paddle tires but I've got a full set of the 75 mm Goodyears (the same as the spare tire) to run with if I want something more scale. 

Probably not a great crawler, but a decent trail runner for sure, especially with the soft suspension. It's faster than I thought it might be, but as it's not a great crawler it's happy enough in that middle ground. Fast enough for fun and good enough at off road for dirt, hills and bumps.

Final specs were:

TBLE-04s 
35T motor (I've got a 45T as a back up if it really is too fast)
13T pinion (they do fit the MF01x and give the lowest torque short of the portal axles)
182 mm wheelbase with 13 mm 3D printed spacer and aluminium prop shaft
CVA dampeners with cut down QD springs (only way I could get them soft enough)
2S Li-Ion battery
Bearings
120g brass bumper to bring down the front
3D printed wheels for Sand Paddles and Taiyo Original tires.

Calling this one done. Any questions of comments, do let me know. It was super fun to make, although as always I now wonder where the heck I'm going to put it, and when I'm going to be able to drive it!

• Like 5