berman

DT03 Brushless combo

I have a silvercan in my DT03. It needs more oomph. I was considering getting a combo for it. Right now, the most likely is a HW 10bl60/3600kv but I'm not sure a 3600kv is going to be enough, even with a 19t pinion?

Those of you that have gone brushless, what are you running? I'm looking for cheap and cheerful.

...I could pull the trackstar 80a/4000kv out of the Konghead...

Cheers 🙂

7I0u7vX.jpeg

• Like 4

I'd try the 4000kv combo since you have it, but suspect it won't be what you're after.  5000 - 6000kv is probably more the range you want, given the really limited gearing of the DT03.  Also, since you're talking in kv and cheap, I'm assuming its sensorless so you don't have timing to play with.

@Wooders28 runs 5700kv on 3S (5S?!) from memory...

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

I'd try the 4000kv combo since you have it, but suspect it won't be what you're after.  5000 - 6000kv is probably more the range you want, given the really limited gearing of the DT03.  Also, since you're talking in kv and cheap, I'm assuming its sensorless so you don't have timing to play with.

@Wooders28 runs 5700kv on 3S (5S?!) from memory...

3 hours ago, Re-Bugged said:

A 4300 on 3s..

Cheers lads.

I had the same trackstar combo in my wild one and that did 85kph on 3s with a car Garmin taped to it 😄

Will probably chuck the combo in over the weekend and then I can get an idea. I only want to run 2s in this. I haven't even ordered dampers or a steel pinion yet 🤦‍♂️

• Like 2

I run a sensorless 4000kv hobbywing setup in my dt03 on 7.4v I can’t see off road much more than that being needed. With paddles at the beach it’s about spot on imo. Endless wheelies. 

maybe 4600kv might be manageable, but I think beyond that your talking about only smooth flat surfaces not proper off roading. 

Cheap sensored setups are rarely as fast or powerful as similar costing sensorless systems. Timing etc is usually adjustable in hobbywing sensorless systems in the esc. 

• Like 2

KV is a fairly poor way of measuring the motor, only really works if its the same motor brand.

My castle 3800kv, is night and day quicker and more powerful , than the goolrc 4300kv.

The 10bl120 / SP 5.5T would probably be the best value tbh (remember you'll need a suitable length sensor cable too). 

If its too quick, just turn it down on the esc and/or transmitter.

Do not worry about the gearbox/gears, ran one on a brutal Castle 5700kv and 5s, and it held up just fine, although, stick on wheel weights, help keep the nose down.👍

• Like 1

6 hours ago, cyclonecap said:

Would any of these work with a tble?

I ran a Carson 10T brushless (3680KV) on 2S with a 19T pinion in my Aqroshot on truggy wheels/tires and had no shortage of power, not on the beach, not in grass. Wheelies on grippy tarmac so much I made some protection for the rear gearbox.

Me and Willy loved it :D

20170429_195711.jpg 20180310_123826.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Nikko85 said:

Would any of these work with a tble?

No

10.5t max on the Tble i believe, and even then think you need a fan ,which are around £15. 

Just get the programmable, hobbywing 10bl120 ,they'll run down to a 3.5t, so run the 5.5t off road with ease (need a suitable lipo though, otherwise you need to drop the low volt cut off).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Re-Bugged said:

Wow those Speed Passions are a bargain there @cyclonecap!! I’d be lucky to find a Sport Tuned for that price in Oz.

Posted @Jonathon Gillham one out a while back, and wasnt that expensive, if i remember right, and don't think there was any extra at the other end? 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Re-Bugged said:

Wow those Speed Passions are a bargain there @cyclonecap!! I’d be lucky to find a Sport Tuned for that price in Oz.

Keep in mind speed passion website is dead. Last social media post was 2017… 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Wooders28 said:

Posted @Jonathon Gillham one out a while back, and wasnt that expensive, if i remember right, and don't think there was any extra at the other end? 

👍🏻
I don’t have anything to put one in but I must admit I do get excited for a bargain now and again 🤣. The Mad Van VE is plenty fast enough and scratches the speed itch for now 😁
I believe we are allowed up $1000 in Oz before it draws attention. Orders from Tamico, RC Jaz etc have been fine. But ordering from international sellers on ebay the 10% GST is added on at checkout regardless. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Juls1 said:

Keep in mind speed passion website is dead. Last social media post was 2017… 

Aye, Speed Passion as a brand, aren't trading anymore, I believe Schumacher dropped it, and are concentrating on the Core RC brand.

Whatever stock there is, is getting sold off, a reason you won't find popular winds, the likes of  10.5t etc, just the 4.5t and 5.5t.

As @Wooders28 says, those speed passion motors are old stock being sold off. Compared to a modern (2022) motor in the same turn from HW or LRP they're a bit slow but they're also a quarter of the price.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, cyclonecap said:

Compared to a modern (2022) motor in the same turn from HW or LRP they're a bit slow but they're also a quarter of the price.

The 5.5t in my Mid, is around the same as an 8.5t Reedy M3, so they're no slouch! (Bit less punch though...) 

Managed a 2nd in an A final, running a 10bl120 / SP 6.5t, in a YZ2-T. 😁

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Wooders28 said:

Nope it arrived without issue, but then our customs seems remarably reasonable here! From memory the shipping plus I looked up what anpint cost and added that. 

3 hours ago, Wooders28 said:

The 5.5t in my Mid, is around the same as an 8.5t Reedy M3, so they're no slouch! (Bit less punch though...) 

Managed a 2nd in an A final, running a 10bl120 / SP 6.5t, in a YZ2-T. 😁

Interesting comment about the 5.5T being equivalent to a modern 8.5T. I was thinking of doing that exact test. I haven't run the 5.5T in ages, its too fast for my backyard and i run stock classes here, but I've put a Rocket V5R 8.5T in my Durga and was thinking about running back to back comparisons, as I was thinking they'd be very close.

I still run SP ESC in my onroad cars, they work well and have lasted years. They're my oldest ESC as the ones in the dirt cars don't last long. Mind you I have the Reventon Pro 1.1 140a and just run 21.5T blinky so that could be why.

• Like 1

Hello
I mounted a DT03 with a lot of options
I use with a 13.5T Trackstar combo
Pascal

dT03_02.jpg

dT03_14.jpg

dT03_26.jpg

dT03_29.jpg

dT03_33.jpg

• Like 4

4 hours ago, sqfab said:

dT03_14.jpg

If thats a stock c̶h̶e̶e̶s̶e̶ aluminium pinion, you might want to think about upgrading to a steel one.

@sqfab nice buggy! Any issues with the Trackstar? I had a T-star combo in my buggy (5300kV motor with 120A ESC) that started smoking and blew up shortly after. Melted my entire chassis.

So, @berman, grab yourself something with a high kV and moderate T (mine is 11.5 if I’m not mistaken). I have one the of the cheap unbranded “black and silver” motors, paired with a 45A RaceStar ESC.image.thumb.jpg.b6538094c7b851ed223e1e58bb27a054.jpg

Cannot recommend Turnigy or GoolRC for the life of me (go off like bombs every time in my experience). If you’re looking for something more expensive/higher quality, go for a Hobbywing 10BL120 and a Surpass Hobby Rocket V5R with a low turn count.

Just my two cents!

• Like 1

Sorry for the late replies. I appreciate everyone's input 😁

I ended up putting the trackstar 80a/4000kv in there. It was a little quicker than I thought it would be (honestly wasnt expecting much because of the gearing) but I am only running a 17t pinion. I think I may get a 19t and leave it in there for the time being. It's pretty bouncy with the friction shocks and it now grip rolls pretty easily 😄 but it's much better than the silver can.

https://imgur.com/a/KORmBX9

• Like 1

It still looks rather slowish to me, was that full throttle? I'll see if I can post some video's of my Aqroshot/Sand viper(DT02 = same gearbox) here later.

• Like 1

Yeah but they aren't exactly fast with a silvercan either, so all things considered...

I would prefer 4600kv-5200kv (with a 19t) or 5700kv with a 17t, but I got this car for free, and I'm not sure I want to spend a mountain of money on it. Still got dampers to buy yet. 🙂

• Like 2