whileoutriding

Help sought with Tamiya/Carson electronics

I recently bought a Carson Transmitter set (https://www.miniaturemanufacturingmodels.co.uk/r-c-gear) and a Tamiya ESC (https://www.miniaturemanufacturingmodels.co.uk/product-page/esc) for the Hornet my son and I are building. But we can't find any instructions online as to how to actually set them up together. Our Hornet is all built up and they are connected... but we don't know what to do from there - like binding the transmitter, etc. 

Also, it comes with a slow charger, but there appears to be no light or LED indicator. Any idea how we know when it's charged, and how long does it take? We have a 2500mHa battery. 

This is the first Tamiya my son and I have built up, so we are starting from scratch! However, when I was a kid, I had the original Holiday Buggy! 

DSC09146.thumb.jpg.7823e522b168d563bd9b05a7f595a16b.jpg 

Any advice most welcome, thanks!

IMG_3258.jpeg

Yep, and a TBLE-04S manual here:

https://cdn.simba-dickie-group.de/downloads/300045069/300045069_TBLE-04S.pdf

Any other questions shout up, I use these sets on all my cars.

EDIT: I can't help you with the charger I'm afraid.  Did you not get everything boxed with manuals?  Both the ESC and transmitter usually come with them and I would expect the charger to as well.

For the slow 7.2v battery pack charger, does it have a charge rate indicated on the housing?  There should be like an output 150mA or something on there.  

If 150mA, that usually means it will take about 15hours to charge a 2200mAh battery from empty.  

Basically it can charge 150mA per hour..so you'd take 2200/150 = 14.6hrs (this is just a very general calculation, some cells can take more or less to charge depending on charge state). 

For NiMH I leave about 1/2 or so charge remaining in the cells after driving my cars so that I do not wear out the weaker cells within the pack.   That said, with the stock silver can motors I will want to stop driving about 10 min in even if the car still drives fast.. let the battery relax at least 6-7 hours (usually overnight for me) and charge.  If slow charging at 150mA, it should be full in about 7 hours or so since I only used about half of the battery capacity.   

Congrats on the new car @whileoutriding!   Have fun out there.  :D

Thank you for all this advice, it's much appreciated!

We will try and get it all set up today. Then we will get to work painting it. Funnily enough, I bought the kit from a thrift store in New Mexico, USA, and we started to build it there, where we used to live. But then we bought the electronics in Dorset, UK, as that's where I'm from, and it turns out there's a great shop nearby that also offers lots of CNC machined, hop up parts (linked above). Somewhere along the way, what manuals must have been disappeared (-; 

We have a Carson NiMh battery, 7.2V, 2500mAh, Output for the charger is 9V-300Mha. We're using the stock motor, but will take note with regards to battery usage. Presumably, it's fine to leave it on overnight if it's a trickle charger, even if it's longer than required? 

I also bought a re-issue Holiday Buggy from the shop in Dorset, as that's the one I had as a kid. So that's our next project! I used to obsessed by my Tamiyas it's great to be able to share them, and this hobby, with my son now. He already has a couple of pre-made RC cars that are a lot of fun (a Losi JRX-2 and a Traxxas Slash 1:16), but there's nothing quite like building them from scratch to really understand them. He's almost 10, and did most of it himself. Can't wait to get the Holiday buggy built up too (-:

Thanks again!

So the motor is now working great, but nothing from the steering servo. No juice at all..

Am I correct in thinking that we plug the steering servo into channel 1 and the motor into speed controller into channel 2?

I think it is bound correctly...Thanks!!

IMG_3281.jpeg

You need to move both plugs one position to the right.

You currently have the servo in the BEC channel and the ESC in channel 1 by the look of it...

Thank you! I did look like that from the photo, but it's just the angle. They're definitely in channel 1 and 2! Motor works great (channel 2) but no steering (channel 1). You can kind of see in the photo that the next two channels (3 and 4) are empty. 

Hope it's not a faulty steering servo :mellow:

Car is working great, we are in the process of painting it. 

We have a pretty basic Carson controller (image above). Can anyone recommend a better controller - preferably the steering wheel style? I used to love the stick style, but as our other cars are ready to run (we have a Losi JRX-2) using the steering wheel style might be best. Thanks. 

Eventually, it would be great to get a fast charger too (-:

So, we had our first proper run today and I have to say, the Hornet was fantastic! It still needs paint and decals to be finished. But it drives great and my son was thrilled we put it together. Already contemplating the next one! Building it up together was such a great project. Thanks for your help!

DSC05045.jpg

DSC05079.jpg

DSC05046.jpg

• Like 6