Busdriver

The 1/24/smaller scale crawler thread

so I may have accidentally ordered another Outback Mini-X yesterday...  at least now I can demonstrate to my daughter how to drive over certain obstacles.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

@Willy iine Thank you Here´s a more "recent" look at it. New electrics because I like experimenting not because the original are bad in any way. I am learning how to solder. Shapeways, savöx, PN racing, XRX micro Futaba, made to order micro pinions to any spec and material from "kkpmo Poland/Germany". Super fun.

Photo 2021-11-29, 13 28 25.jpg

Photo 2021-11-29, 13 34 42 (1).jpg

Photo 2021-10-26, 13 43 14.jpg

Photo 2021-11-29, 17 32 05.jpg

Photo 2021-11-29, 17 32 02.jpg

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Kowalski86 said:

That was my experience with my Jimny minus the charging part...and the "up and down" part. It looked good on the shelf but it was a bit expensive for something I'd just drive in the mulch or around my room occasionally. I had fun driving the one SCX24 that I tried out, but I dunno if I could see myself upgrading one or using it regularly, maybe I'm just not a crawler person?

Yeah that was what I was like. I like Kyosho Jimny too, but feel I would go the way of the Axial if I did buy one.

I'd love another 1/10, used to go out quite a bit with my Wraith, SCX10ii and CC01, but don't own any of them now.

13 hours ago, Busdriver said:

I’m stuck between the Bronco and the Deadbolt. I think it may be too much to have the deadbolt in both scales though 🤔

The bronco looks cool, but is a bit top heavy being a hard body, so more prone to rolls than the others.

• Like 1

And if you get really bored of the stock SCX24, you can go wild...

SBG Micro Shark Guide

I bought a second hand Chevy C10 bodied one. Like many others, I have barely run it. I bought it for my son (honest) but still haven't given it to him. I was really impressed with it.

I have no hands-on knowledge of the FTX but I believe they are an re-badged EXC Barrage?  There are loads of comparison reviews on YouTube.

I'm not anti-FTX - my Outlaw is great fun (and hasn't imploded like most)!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, berman said:

Yeah that was what I was like. I like Kyosho Jimny too, but feel I would go the way of the Axial if I did buy one.

I'd love another 1/10, used to go out quite a bit with my Wraith, SCX10ii and CC01, but don't own any of them now.

Kyosho has better electronics imo, but Axials are cheaper and much more capable out of the box. It'd be nice if Axial or Tamiya offered a 1/24 kit for $60-80.

I've considered 1/10 crawlers but even the budget brands and rollers are a bit expensive for my taste.

If I may ask, what happened to your 1/10 scalers?

• Like 1

Just realised that I already have a 1/24th scale crawler called an ECX Barrage fitted with a forward control jeep( lookalike) body. Now I have a dilemma?? If this is supposed to be any good then I won’t be wasting any money on a new one. If on the other hand it’s pretty 💩 then I’ll still consider an SCX24 

9 hours ago, technics said:

@Willy iine Thank you Here´s a more "recent" look at it. New electrics because I like experimenting not because the original are bad in any way. I am learning how to solder. Shapeways, savöx, PN racing, XRX micro Futaba, made to order micro pinions to any spec and material from "kkpmo Poland/Germany". Super fun.

Photo 2021-11-29, 13 28 25.jpg

Photo 2021-11-29, 13 34 42 (1).jpg

Photo 2021-10-26, 13 43 14.jpg

Photo 2021-11-29, 17 32 05.jpg

Photo 2021-11-29, 17 32 02.jpg

What body is this? I looks like a hard body rather than lexan?

@Busdriver a lot of the scx24 guys buy model kitsets and use the hard bodies to put on top of their SCXs, bodies from 1:20 are the preference, with 1:24 being a little small (can sometimes get away with cab only and deadbolt rear cage on 1:24). Only issue is there is very limited 1:20  kitsets now.

3 hours ago, Kowalski86 said:

Kyosho has better electronics imo, but Axials are cheaper and much more capable out of the box. It'd be nice if Axial or Tamiya offered a 1/24 kit for $60-80.

I've considered 1/10 crawlers but even the budget brands and rollers are a bit expensive for my taste.

If I may ask, what happened to your 1/10 scalers?

I dont worry about capability so much (hey, we are on a Tamiya forum after all), so something that isn't as good as something else isn't a deal breaker. In fact, as amazing as my Wraith was, it was more fun wheeling my CC01 because it was more difficult and had character.

I actually miss my SCX10ii the most, because it was more representative of something you could purchase 1:1. I'd love to get another, but worried Id not use it and just buy stuff for it or tinker with it, loke the scx24. It was still immaculate when i sold it, my mate I used to go crawling with would hassle me because it didn't have rock rash all over the body.

Went through some tougher times and sold them off. 

• Like 2

@Busdriver like many crawlers the best looking are plastic hardbodies. This is a traditional plastic GMC AMT 1:25 scale model kit. Like mentioned above 1:20 is the ideal size, but there’s maybe only 6-8 kits in various states of existence and availability.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, berman said:

I dont worry about capability so much (hey, we are on a Tamiya forum after all), so something that isn't as good as something else isn't a deal breaker. In fact, as amazing as my Wraith was, it was more fun wheeling my CC01 because it was more difficult and had character.

I actually miss my SCX10ii the most, because it was more representative of something you could purchase 1:1. I'd love to get another, but worried Id not use it and just buy stuff for it or tinker with it, loke the scx24. It was still immaculate when i sold it, my mate I used to go crawling with would hassle me because it didn't have rock rash all over the body.

Went through some tougher times and sold them off. 

Good point, the Jimny would definitely be more challenging, but they seem to be more reliable and take AAAs, pretty nice transmitters too. Just hold out for a sale and you can find one for $40 or so off. Only thing is that you have to buy LED lights separately and they don't quite have the aftermarket of Axial.

• Like 1

1701989959_WhatsAppImage2022-09-26at3_47_36PM.thumb.jpeg.aee13ebba8f64a5dc8e875d188696d49.jpeg

1893884220_WhatsAppImage2022-09-26at3_47_33PM.thumb.jpeg.c0df899958f893846164f57f66fa9496.jpeg

503088214_WhatsAppImage2022-09-26at3_50_34PM.thumb.jpeg.a2a7d91ccec6cbce4871728692c91d6d.jpeg

I may be biased, but I cannot recommend the Mini Z 4x4 enough. The 4Runner is way more capable with better approach and departure angles and ground clearance, but the Jimny can sidehill unbelievably with it's exceptionally low CoG. They both look way better than their SCX24 equivalents, and I wouldn't touch cheap off-brand RCs. These are capable out of the box, but can be made better with the right options.

The reality is though that unless you have suitable, challenging terrain to enjoy them with you'll get bored with them very quickly. After more than 2 years of ownership of the 4Runner (and a year of the Jimny) I would imagine they've clocked up (quick mental maths...) 250-300ish hours? During our 263 days of Covid lockdowns in Melbourne most days were spent RC'ing, and each run with the Mini Z would be almost an hour (great battery life from the rechargeable AAAs) plus lots of other time as well (at least an hour per week during non-lockdown times).

Looks? 

Performance? 

Longevity? 

Reliability? 

Options? 

Price? You get what you pay for.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Busdriver said:

Just realised that I already have a 1/24th scale crawler called an ECX Barrage fitted with a forward control jeep( lookalike) body. Now I have a dilemma?? If this is supposed to be any good then I won’t be wasting any money on a new one. If on the other hand it’s pretty 💩 then I’ll still consider an SCX24 

Did a bit more digging and found this on another site. Chimes with the Modelsport entry saying the 2.0 had been upgraded from the original

"The FTX Outback mini 2.0 is a rebranded HobbyPlus CR-24 which is also sold under various names in other countries. The only difference is it has a larger battery and different stickers.

It's very similar in proportions and layout to the Barrage/FTX Outback/RGT Adventurer & most parts will even swap over. Tires and wheels swap over. The biggest differences from the Barrage/ FTX 1.0 and the CR-24, and now FTX 2.0 is the transmission with more gear reduction, the bead lock wheels, and the FTX 2.0 has a 600mah battery which is larger than the CR-24."

Link to forum post

There are loads of upgrades available (or at least there used to be) for your ECX if you wanted to tweak it.

10 hours ago, Kowalski86 said:

Good point, the Jimny would definitely be more challenging, but they seem to be more reliable and take AAAs, pretty nice transmitters too. Just hold out for a sale and you can find one for $40 or so off. Only thing is that you have to buy LED lights separately and they don't quite have the aftermarket of Axial.

I got a deal on the Axial (it was broken in the box and the charger didn't work), but I'm not sure a jimny will fall the same fate. I can only but hope 😄

• Like 1

As a tangent - anyone wanting to get into a 1:10 crawler there is a SCX10ii clone by Injora on a campaign until Monday $131 shipped worldwide a full assembled chassis with tires/wheels, and brushed motor.

I’ve bought items from the webshop before. Zero issues, good service.

As long as your not competing or something I feel this is plenty good for light crawler duty and scale build.

https://www.injora.com/products/313mm-wheelbase-assembled-frame-chassis-for-scx10-ii-jeep-cherokee?variant=39449061883952

• Like 1

5 hours ago, technics said:

As a tangent - anyone wanting to get into a 1:10 crawler there is a SCX10ii clone by Injora on a campaign until Monday $131 shipped worldwide a full assembled chassis with tires/wheels, and brushed motor.

I’ve bought items from the webshop before. Zero issues, good service.

As long as your not competing or something I feel this is plenty good for light crawler duty and scale build.

https://www.injora.com/products/313mm-wheelbase-assembled-frame-chassis-for-scx10-ii-jeep-cherokee?variant=39449061883952

Thats tempting, its hard to find a 1/10 crawler for under $200. Only thing is that I can't find any cheap (under $50) bodies to drop on it, unless if crawler bodies normally cost more.

I installed oil dampers today and took the Mini-Z for a quick drive over the egg carton like Kyosho terrain.  Nice.  I like it.  :D  Honestly for me, this is plenty.  

IMG_2022-10-29-102741.jpg.e03de7057defe68649fabb2bf71d0f7e.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, technics said:

@Kowalski86 agree, I have plenty of builds planned but the numbers are scary quickly haha 

Thats been the biggest barrier for me and the 1/10 crawler world.

My usual proccess for trying a new brand or type of RC out is to buy a used fixer-upper, slap some cheap/spare parts on it, and if I like it enough I might put more into it. That way if I get bored quick with it I can sell it without much loss.

I had to do that with my TT-01 once I saw just how easily they scrape and bounce on my street, nevermind the mediocre steering.

• Like 1

@Kowalski86 Everything has a purpose, the TT is a great first barrier between toy and hobby.. the rabbit hole is as deep as you want to dig from there on out😁 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, technics said:

@Kowalski86 Everything has a purpose, the TT is a great first barrier between toy and hobby.. the rabbit hole is as deep as you want to dig from there on out😁 

Oh definetly, they're piece of cake to work on and they're fun on-road cars even with a basic 27 turn motor, I had to let it go to make some room.

• Like 1

On 10/27/2022 at 11:35 AM, sosidge said:

The Traxxas 1/18th will probably be very popular when it comes out.

Just spotted this. Missed it when I first read post so checked it out. I have to say for about £40/50 more than the SCX24 it’s extra size on oil filled shocks make it tempting 🤔 I think I may just play around with my barrage, maybe some better wheels and tyres and some extra weight and see how I get on. I’m more likely to use it outside rather than in so the extra size might be better. Only problem then is Bronco or Defender!!!!

Just a quick heads up for anyone considering a Mini-Z, if you look around you might end up finding a clone copy called the "Red Spider Mini Z" which are all Jeep Rubicons. Its about half the price of a Kyosho, and probably half as good. From what I've seen theres no drag brake (kinda necessary for crawling), dunno about the overall quality. Don't trust anyone with affiliate links.

• Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, Kowalski86 said:

Just a quick heads up for anyone considering a Mini-Z, if you look around you might end up finding a clone copy called the "Red Spider Mini Z" which are all Jeep Rubicons. Its about half the price of a Kyosho, and probably half as good. From what I've seen theres no drag brake (kinda necessary for crawling), dunno about the overall quality. Don't trust anyone with affiliate links.

Thanks for the heads up!  Definitely do not want to cheap out and waste good money, even if it's half the price of a Mini-Z.   

25 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

Thanks for the heads up!  Definitely do not want to cheap out and waste good money, even if it's half the price of a Mini-Z.   

Half the price of a Kyosho Mini Z, but about the same price as a cheap Tamiya kit. My only reservation with getting another Mini Z is the receiver/ESC two in one unit, not that I would want to ever change that out but if it bugs up I wouldn't be able to use any of my own spare electronics in it.