colmac

Vintage Fox

Hi all, 

First time on forum, I have a vintage fox 1985 which is running a old school mechanical speed controller. I have replacing some parts mechanical parts etc but when running, it cuts out when going through the speeds, its as if the connection is breaking going through that stages of the speed controller .

My question is , can I update to a modern speed controller, maybe a Hobbywing Quicrun 1060 Brushed SBEC 60A ESC https://wheelspinmodels.co.uk/i/271379/?gclid=CjwKCAjw2OiaBhBSEiwAh2ZSP4e-kK0XypIe-g-RZ3J0UhmbpfURRzNejIBG5BgOU8rJM1MqMe_WIRoCVq4QAvD_BwE

Do you think it will work and would I need any extras to make it work?thanks for any assistance 

IMG_2440.jpeg

Screen Shot 2022-10-27 at 20.24.09.png

• Like 1

Best bet is to replace all the electronics, but yes, you can replace the MSC with a modern ESC.  The hobbywing is a good one.

Terry

Many thanks Terry, when you say all electronics, are you meaning all servos and receiver? I have read that I may need longer motor cables, do you know if the motor cables are long enough to reach motor, sort for the silly question but things were different 35 years ago......

Yes.

Rx/Tx - your old AM radio will have a lot of interference.  A cheap Flysky GT2B comes with a Rx and will cost you about $40.  Range, run time, and features will be heads and tails above your AM radio.

Servo - I *think* servo plugs have changed in the last 30 years. You might be able to adapt your old one, but a nice new Futaba is about $20.

ESC - Hobby Wing 1060 is the way to go, if you're going to keep the original silver can motor.  Another $40.

Also, the one thing I learned the hard way (through having to replace broken parts every time I drove) is that the original plastics on your 80s Fox will have gotten brittle over time and will crack easily.  You might want to look at new NovaFox...

Terry

• Like 1

Colmac, you will not believe the differences modern electrics and a motor and decent NiMh can make, JUST be very careful it may so fast the first time you take it out will also wreck it. LiPo are even faster and lighter so make the acceleration just unreal.

I fully restored my vintage Thundershot and totalled it first time out, had to totally rebuild again and its now a shelf queen. Old plastic and modern power is a bad combo if you want to have fun.

Thanks Mrowka, have one on order, did you have to get extension cable for the motor connection as they seem very short connections to the ESC

• Like 1

You may need some sort of motor cable extension - either an extra cable, or cutting the wires and soldering a bit extra in. The mechanical speed controller in the vintage fox came with long motor wires. The NovaFox comes with a motor with long wires so it can use standard ESCs.
My vintage Fox is still running its mechanical speed controller and works fine, but I don't run it much. Plastics are brittle as said.

I don't think that servo cables have changed since forever. I used the 4x AA battery holder that came with my vintage Fox's Acoms Techniplus radio gear to power up the receiver for my re-release Wild One whilst I was building it, and the connector fitted just fine.

7 hours ago, colmac said:

Thanks Mrowka, have one on order, did you have to get extension cable for the motor connection as they seem very short connections to the ESC

I positioned the ESC and soldered bullets on the ESC wiring, then soldered bullets to the motor wires and hooked up the bullets with room to spare. I enlarged the hole for the switch and ran the wires through that.

I don't remember whether the wires were long enough without my maneuvers, or whether I spliced any wire in.