tamiya3speed

Schumacher ProCat Classic

Might have to get one of these. The Pro-Cat was my first competition 4wd buggy back in 1991. Great memories.

As a kid I saw ProCats in the flesh, with the XLS something I only read about in magazines.  It's been a little surprising to me how similar the two are; looking at the ProCat innards it looks almost exactly like an XLS with wider front tires and a different body.  What details am I missing?  Either way I think I'll skip the ProCat, but glad to see Schumacher continuing to release stuff from their back catalog.

Pretty lame how they double-dip with the "brushless capable" drivetrain.  They could learn from Kyosho -- stop screwing your customers and just include the heavy-duty transmission from the get-go.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, FromageTheDog said:

As a kid I saw ProCats in the flesh, with the XLS something I only read about in magazines.  It's been a little surprising to me how similar the two are; looking at the ProCat innards it looks almost exactly like an XLS with wider front tires and a different body.  What details am I missing?  Either way I think I'll skip the ProCat, but glad to see Schumacher continuing to release stuff from their back catalog.

Pretty lame how they double-dip with the "brushless capable" drivetrain.  They could learn from Kyosho -- stop screwing your customers and just include the heavy-duty transmission from the get-go.

I don't really like criticising the rc manufacturers because I'm always thankful they do these re-releases but I have to agree with you on this upgrade transmission that schumacher do:mellow: I've built all the schumacher range with only one of them with the upgrade transmission and I couldn't help thinking I'm paying all this money and all it amounts to is an extra belt on the drive train and you are left with a load of no use parts (especially the XLS) and I've actually put brushless in the kit standard buggies and they put up with the extra power no problem! Granted they don't get used in race condition but let's face it how many actually do get raced to the extent they need a stronger drive? But I'm still looking forward to getting my hands on one but unfortunately it's not going to be anytime soon because all my money it waiting for the black egress:D which is a point tamiya can take note from schumacher!.........when you announce a release don't do it so long in advance that people get tired of waiting because it's so hard to hang on to the money saved when inbetween your announcement and actual kit release other rc kits appear:rolleyes:

20220312_110634.jpg

20220829_170305.jpg

• Like 2

Hi, I had the same query, looking at the manuals the drivetrain looks the same between the xls and procat, as do the dampers. Belts look interchangeable so guessing wheelbase is not that different either.

For those with experience of running both what were the benefits of the procat? Guessing the build experience will be the same so just wondering if its worth it?

Thanks

So excited for this, nicer than the XLS for me. Got one ordered.

It'll look fantastic next to the cougar classis!.

20220904_172033.jpg

Period NiMh being saddle packs by the look if it, unfortunately.  The ProCAT was designed around them it seems.

Screenshot 2022-10-31 185744.png

Same here.  Sticks may fit if the LiPo holder can be flipped over, as per the Cougar Classic, and the chassis is the same width.

Bit of an expensive mistake if you find out it isn't wide enough after purchase though...  :(

Don't see why you can't mount NiMH stick across chassis and use straps through battery slots to hold it down.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Twinfan said:

I think the chassis is width is going to be the deciding factor?

Agreed, though I know I used to run a Bosscat shell on an Optima with standard stick. I'm pretty sure a Bosscat is narrower than a Procat, but it may also depend where that extra width is.

I've actually emailed Schumacher to ask them if a stick can be used.  No response as yet, but I will update this thread when I hear back from them.

Reply received:

"The chassis is designed to take either a saddle nimh pack or shorty lipo, you could possibly fit a nimh stick pack in place across the chassis but you might need to adapt your own battery holder to keep it securely in place. Also you may need to make some stoppers to stop the battery sliding from side to side when in use.

Chassis is the same width as a 7.2v pack at approx. 135mm. you do have small gap either side if using the undertray on the chassis, but in all honesty it would have to be something self made to stop it moving side to side on/ off the chassis."

So a stick may fit, and work OK, but it may not  :(

@Twinfan You can make your own saddles with sub-c’s sold on Amazon.   It not difficult to make.. even I can do it!  :lol:

It’s not a matched cell pack, but this day and age, if you want performance we’d go with LiPo.  NiMH we use for convenience so it does not matter whether it’s matched or not.

I make my own packs, including saddles, side by side, and humpback. 

Cheers, and I could do that but I have bunch of stick packs I use in other cars.  I really don't need any more batteries!!!

8 hours ago, Twinfan said:

Cheers, and I could do that but I have bunch of stick packs I use in other cars.  I really don't need any more batteries!!!

in that case, modify those then
 it's easy to do, so long as you have a decent (HOT) soldering iron.

Everyone ran saddle packs back in the day - building it with a NiMH stick pack is NOT the authentic experience!

• Haha 1

Ha ha, so true!

I've decided to pass on the Pro Cat, but if you're a LiPo user I think they're a great car at a superb price  B)

I see a lot of the shop in the UK are now posting on their websites that  the pro cat is in stock:D which is good news for those who have ordered one when it was only announced a few weeks ago! TAMIYA you need to take note! don't announce a release six months before it's apparent release (end of November?) Because we still have the standard delayed release dates! 

• Like 1

Depends on where you live, I guess. I'm still waiting for the Cougar Classic here in the US that I ordered in June.

Can I just add to anyone that is buying and building the pro cat rather than soldering the front anti-roll bar buy the hotshot stabilizer balls! (£2.99ish) I put them on my XLS and I'm thinking the pro cat has the same set up? If it doesn't ignore all this:rolleyes: its much easier than soldering and a lot neater and if your like me in the "can't solder to save my life club" they're a 100% better 

s-l300.jpg

20201122_133111.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2