tamiya3speed

Schumacher ProCat Classic

Trying to decide whether to press the button on this one or wait for a (possible) Bosscat.  Out of interest, was the Bosscat any easier / less frustrating a build than the XLS / Procat back in the day?  Do you think this Procat will be any better than (certain parts) of the XLS build, or is pretty much identical other than rear suspension and adjustable belt tension etc?  I've restored a Turbo Optima Mid and a few basic Tamiya's over the years, so I'm not a complete newb, but just a little worried the Procat may not be that enjoyable a build.

Not much to offer re: ProCat vs. BossCat -- I'm happy enough with the XLS and don't intend on getting any more in that lineage.  That said: after the engineered excellence of a Kyosho or Tamiya kit, the vintage Schumachers definitely feel needlessly finicky and crude -- but there's nothing inherently difficult about the assembly.  I built a Cat XLS since I always wanted to know what it would be like, and never could afford one as a kid (kinda like all the other kits that seem to find their way into my collection).  Highly recommended, if only for the experience!

• Like 1

Thanks, probably give it a go then.  Was meaning to get the XLS but missed the boat on that one, so think a Procat will be next best as I doubt Schumacher will ever do a Tamiya and get into ReReRe's!

On 6/10/2023 at 3:11 PM, tamiya3speed said:

Heads up if anyone wants one of these, currently on sale at Amain for $299

https://www.amainhobbies.com/schumacher-procat-classic-1-10-4wd-offroad-buggy-kit-schk193/p1455028yah I know. Trying to keep my money in my pocket. I already have both cars, but that is real cheap, makes me mad that I payed 100 more for the pro cat from amain....I jumped on it thinking they would get sold out. I'm surprised that amain is actually putting them on sale to get rid of them. Not many shumacher fans? I love them... Awesome cars and you need skills to build one....completely different from any Tamiya or kyosho 

Random question: Are there any spares worth buying to upkeep one of these?

Also, has anyone figured out if its possible to fit a stick Nimh in one of these?

Edit: It looks like Andy Robinson was able to get a stick pack in his in the video he put out.

Bitd I remember magazine articles about Procats racing with 11turn triples and other exotica in the hands of worlds and nationals drivers , are todays brushless/lipo combos so much more powerful?

The "brushless upgrade" set sure is alot of coin and alot of redundant parts on top and quite a bitter pill to swallow to have to add for a brand new purchase.I wouldn't have thought the Procat would be the buggy of choice to get the " coke can sized " motor and 8 cell lipo treatment? 

I recall that pretty much all the procat drivers of the day had those alloy slider driveshafts too atleast on the front , pretty sure they were ballraced for the sliding action.I can't recall their name , same yolks at each end but silver aluminium kinda canister on one side and a shiny pole type drive shaft on the other.Wonder if those will return?