Sign in to follow this  
alvinlwh

PS-67?

Sorting out my paint for my upcoming builds and got stuck trying to source the blue for the F104 Wolf WR1

Instructions calls for "PS Dark Blue Limited Edition", after some searching, it turns out to be PS-67 Dark Blue, 89925. No where seems to carry it. 

For the static model, it calls for TS-55 Dark Blue but I cannot match an equivent for PS. 

Will PS-4 backed with black work? Or will PS-59 works better? 

1 hour ago, alvinlwh said:

Sorting out my paint for my upcoming builds and got stuck trying to source the blue for the F104 Wolf WR1

Instructions calls for "PS Dark Blue Limited Edition", after some searching, it turns out to be PS-67 Dark Blue, 89925. No where seems to carry it. 

For the static model, it calls for TS-55 Dark Blue but I cannot match an equivent for PS. 

After painting my last shell PS-16 I found the result so dark that I thought, if I ever find a WR1 I would try a very thin coat of PS-16 then back with black. Would not be accurate but would capture Tamiya's rendition of it on the box art.

I too have never found PS-67 anywhere.

My suggestion for you would still be to "prime" the shell with PS-55 flat clear then use the TS-55.

Good luck and congratulations on your find!

• Like 1

Couldn't find an image of PS-67 online and can't say anything to PS-59 but here's a link to my finished Alfa Romeo Giulia painted with PS-4 and backd with black. Maybe it helps

No experience with ps-67, but how dark do you want ps-59? This is backed with silver then black.

fBmMuac.jpeg

• Like 1

Thanks all. PS-67 is supposed to be a "limited" release paint, to the point that it was not mentioned by number in the instructions. First result I found about it is here, no mention of the PS number. (@Aerobert picture in the links) 

https://www.rcjaz.co.uk/tamiya-89925-ps-dark-blue-100ml-spray-can-p-90021228.html

https://tamiyabase.com/paint/89925-899xx

Further searching using the part number turned up PS-67. 

https://speedyrc.com.au/products/tamiya-89925-ps-67-dark-blue-100ml-spray-can

I had decided to try and use Absima 3500012 Dark Blue. 

1 hour ago, Pylon80 said:

congratulations on your find!

Believe it or not, there is at least half a dozen or so sitting on the shelf of the Singapore Tamiya dealer on offer price, and according to fellow member OoALEJOoO, they had been there on offer for the past 5 years with no interest in them.

4 hours ago, Tobyone said:

This is my Wolf painted with PS67, tried to get a good shot in the light. I think @berman's post looks pretty close.

vAduPIR.jpg

How did you even managed to get hold of PS-67? Thing about PS-59 is that it is metallic, can be seen in @berman post. Not sure if that will look right on the Wolf? 

How did you even managed to get hold of PS-67? Thing about PS-59 is that it is metallic, can be seen in @berman post. Not sure if that will look right on the Wolf? 

Ignore me. Having a Monday morning blip, just hunted in the garage for the paint I used on the Wolf and it is in fact PS-59 :wacko:

I found a couple of Asian shops that seem to have it in stock, but I also found a shop in Europe that seems to have it in stock...

Now how much are you willing to pay?;):lol:

59 minutes ago, KILLorBE said:

Now how much are you willing to pay?;):lol:

That really is the question as spray paint, like lipos are considered dangerous goods and shipping it cross border requires a special licence, leading to massive cost. I once did a dummy basket of ONE lipo from HobbyKing and the postage is like 3 times the cost of the battery! 

On 10/31/2022 at 2:59 PM, Tobyone said:

Ignore me. Having a Monday morning blip, just hunted in the garage for the paint I used on the Wolf and it is in fact PS-59 :wacko:

Looking online, it seems that it is a color we in the static world will call Midnight Blue (Mr Color C71), a blue so dark that it is more like black. Maybe I have to go about mixing PS-4 with PS-5 before spraying it on... 

On 10/31/2022 at 5:26 PM, alvinlwh said:

That really is the question as spray paint, like lipos are considered dangerous goods and shipping it cross border requires a special licence, leading to massive cost. I once did a dummy basket of ONE lipo from HobbyKing and the postage is like 3 times the cost of the battery! 

Didn't think about that as I never had those problems (Once ordered 15 Liter 99.9% IPA from Germany and got free shipping), but since you mentioned HobbyKing (Didn't they used to have a UK warehouse? Pretty sure they did.), I vaguely remember trying to order some lipos (The ones that I want tend to be out of stock in the EU warehouse), while shipping was more expensive from the Global and/or UK warehouse, I don't recall it being as expensive as I just saw... Fedex Priority - - Dangerous Goods €193,80 for a €0.94 lipo (or any other lipo for that matter) :blink:

Had a look how much shipping for the paint was going to be, estimated shipping cost to the Netherlands is €25, to the UK it's €30, that's kinda pricey for a €11 can of paint, I expected it to be more like €15 to the Netherlands.
But then again, if you really want/need it... (Shipping cost seems pretty accurate.)

Are there more people that would like some of this paint?

3 hours ago, KILLorBE said:

Didn't they used to have a UK warehouse? Pretty sure they did

Didn't know about the UK warehouse, joined the lipo game too late to know about it. However, they DID have an EU warehouse which shut down last year. They used to send lipos via NL regular mail all over Europe from there, a strict nono. Rumours was they faced fines for breaching postage laws and shut down their operations and moved out. 

An example will be Amazon getting fined for doing the same thing. 

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/sep/23/amazon-uk-found-guilty-of-airmailing-dangerous-goods

A side note is, while there are debates about spray paints allowed or not (I had checked them in no problems at all), lipos batteries (fitted not in equipment) are very much allowed in hand luggage, up to 4 pieces per person (for BA at least), and up to 100wh each (translate to a 12500mah 2S!).

You can always mix PS59 and some PS black..?  Even back it with final PS black backing? 

I thought there was a decanning thread?  Run the custom PS through air brush or just brush paint it, I suppose..  GL!!

1 hour ago, Willy iine said:

You can always mix PS59 and some PS black..?  Even back it with final PS black backing? 

I thought there was a decanning thread?  Run the custom PS through air brush or just brush paint it, I suppose..  GL!!

Yes, the question is how much to mix? From the static modeller in me, I am only comfortable with a precise ratio. And from the real me, I am somewhat colourblind, so will not be able to "play it by eye". 

Yes, I was the one that posted that thread. 

1 minute ago, alvinlwh said:

Yes, the question is how much to mix? From the static modeller in me, I am only comfortable with a precise ratio. And from the real me, I am somewhat colourblind, so will not be able to "play it by eye". 

Yes, I was the one that posted that thread. 

Yeah, I have been relying on EWH technologies too much, that is for certain.  :ph34r:

If all fails, the PS59 is a beautiful color so you can't go wrong.. might even give it a tad more contrast making the color scheme more sparkle.  But again, I understand you're trying to achieve realism to the original vehicle.

6 hours ago, Willy iine said:

I am somewhat colourblind,

Then does it really matter? Just paint it lime green. That's PS-8.

34 minutes ago, Pylon80 said:

Then does it really matter?

I am somewhat colorblind, not completely colorblind. I have difficulties telling shades apart sometime, but can tell the difference between green and blue. Still, thank you for making fun of my condition. 

So after speaking to a professional painter, I decided to go down the PS-55 + TS-55 route. Question is what should I back it with? White? Gray? Or black?

On 10/30/2022 at 8:46 PM, alvinlwh said:

89925 is indeed "PS Dark Blue", but I've never seen it called PS-67 anywhere. When it was released in 2010, the PS range had only reached PS-60. PS-61, 62 and 63 were released in 2012, 2014 and 2016 and PS-64 and higher PS numbers are unknown to me. It would seem odd that a PS paint outside the regular 860XX PS paint range would be numbered PS-67 in 2010. Also, when PS paints outside the 860XX range have later been included as part of the regular range and got PS-numbers, the item numbers were also changed to 860XX.

89827 PS Raybrig Blue (1999) => 86035 PS-35 Raybrig Blue (later in 1999)

89922 PS Bright Mica Red  (2009) => 86060 PS-60 Bright Mica Red (2010)

So this makes me curious. Can you please reveal the source of the "PS-67" information? I would like to dig deeper to find out if other PS paints outside the 860XX range possibly also have PS numbers?

3 minutes ago, Mokei Kagaku said:

So this makes me curious. Can you please reveal the source of the "PS-67" information?

The last link on the the 5th post on this thread.

An Australia shop it seem.

• Like 1

Thanks for the link!

Of course I don't know, but my guess is that the shop made up several PS-numbers on their own. See items highlighted in green in the screenshot below from the shop.

Otherwise it would mean that Tamiya has released Bright Mica Red both as PS-69 and PS-60. Also, the colour called PS-70 Grey/Black is stated to have item number 89929. In reality, 89929 is : "Applicator for Weathering Master (3 Pcs.)"

89920 Pastel Gray was released in 2009. At that time the 860XX range had only reached PS-58, and the shop still claims 89920 to be PS-66.

89912 Iridiscent Blue/Green was released in 2008. At that time the 860XX range had only reached PS-56, and the shop still claims 89912 to be PS-64.

Only time will tell, I guess. When Tamiya releases the next paint in the 860XX range (PS-64), we'll see if it's a re-release of Iridiscent Blue/Green or not. 

Untitled 5.jpg

2 minutes ago, Mokei Kagaku said:

Of course I don't know, but my guess is that the shop made up several PS-numbers on their own. 

That could be true, I don't know. End of the day, I had zero luck finding this "nearly black blue", wife's words, so I just went down the PS-55 + TS-55 route instead. Now that I got the paint out (just about done with airbrushing it today), I will say it is midnight blue type, which I actually have 2 of.

0qHXcDl.jpg

So I don't need to go through all the trouble of tracking down PS-67 or TS-55.

Just now, alvinlwh said:

That could be true, I don't know. End of the day, I had zero luck finding this "nearly black blue", wife's words, so I just went down the PS-55 + TS-55 route instead. Now that I got the paint out (just about done with airbrushing it today), I will say it is midnight blue type, which I actually have 2 of.

So I don't need to go through all the trouble of tracking down PS-67 or TS-55.

To my eyes, 89925 PS Dark Blue has a hint of purple, but I'm no sure I can trust my own eyes! Anyway, I dug out a can of 89925 PS Dark Blue and a body I painted in Walter Wolf colours for fun using 89925. I think you get very close with midnight blue.

unnamed (1).jpg