Sgt.Speirs

TRF201 Transmission Conversion for Nissan King Cab, Hilux Monster Racer, (Super) Astute & Madcap

38 minutes ago, Sgt.Speirs said:

@bavee: In all my Tamiya model where I have to cut threads, I used a normal thread cutting tap (the 3 piece set). But I don't use them all according to the correct order (as required for a thread in metal), I just use the middle one. In Germany is this the tap with two rings. Then the thread is pre-cut/predefined, but the screw itself is not too loose in the thread.

Ooooh nice idea @Sgt.Speirs, my tap and die set goes from 3-12mm, but with just one tap per size. The holes do sometimes feel loose on the thread of the screw, I think I'll pick up a specific 3mm 3-piece tap set then!👍

2 hours ago, bavee said:

Thanks! To be precise, I was not referring to a Tamiya model but to the M3 thread holes in the gearbox parts from Shapeways.

I meant Tamiya plastics and also 3D printed plastics (PA12, PTEG,...) :D

• Like 1

On 2/8/2023 at 2:57 PM, Sgt.Speirs said:

The slipper clutch package (TA-22031) includes no pinion gear. What you may be mean is the counter gear BA23 which is installed inside the gearbox on the slipper shaft.

🤣.... Did the same mistake... Had one single 48dp Pinion around, but too large. First I had a M0.6 pinion installed... Lucky enough I have double checked everything before doing first  test and replaced with the proper Module.

At my testride today everything worked brillant, but the ESC switched to half power after a minute. Not sure if caused by the battery (had a short run using the same battery with my XV-01 before) or overcurrent protection or a damaged motor. Already ordered a set ranging from 20 to 23T so I will gear down now and see if it's better tomorrow.

For me it's really special to have this truck back on the track again. It's a great runner. 

• Like 2

@davidsen: To be honest, until now I didn‘t drove the gearbox with a brushed motor. I only used a sensorless brushless system (50A ESC, Motor with 3000kV).

What ESC do you use?
Which pinion size (number of teeth)?
Did you check your battery voltage to be sure that is was not the lipo safety shut-down?

For the next run, I would use the smallest pinion (20T) and test/drive in the same way ;) 

Used a Hobbywing 1060, Superstock TZ, 25T Pinion yesterday. 

Changed the Pinion to 21T in the evening and also added a Capacitor-Pack to the ESC. This ESC is known to have issues with low battery Mode, the Caps are a fix for that. 

result: today no low battery shutdown any more. Not sure it's because of the Caps, or the pinion... The battery recharged only 2400mA of 4000 and ist doing fine in every other ride. 

It's reacting way nicer with the smaller pinion. What a great fun ✌️

Will change down to 20 this evening because now it's doing Wheelies now and is still pretty fast 🤪

Does it do Wheelies with the 3000kV Brushless too? What pinion did you use on the brushless setup? 

3 hours ago, davidsen said:

result: today no low battery shutdown any more. Not sure it's because of the Caps, or the pinion... The battery recharged only 2400mA of 4000 and ist doing fine in every other ride. 

It's reacting way nicer with the smaller pinion. What a great fun ✌️

That sounds great  👍🏻

3 hours ago, davidsen said:

Will change down to 20 this evening because now it's doing Wheelies now and is still pretty fast 🤪

Does it do Wheelies with the 3000kV Brushless too? What pinion did you use on the brushless setup? 

Yes, I have also be patient to do no wheelies on my first run. I used also a 21T pinion.

How tight did you adjust your slipper clutch?
The Dyna Storm manual says that the clutch has to stop slipping within 1m. I have followed this instruction.

I have adjusted according the Td4 slipper manual. Does not seem to slip at all so it might be too firm. Honestly I have almost no experience with slippers so this is something that I need to work on for the next ride. 

On 10/31/2022 at 1:48 PM, Sgt.Speirs said:

Parts list for this modification:

1x 3D printed gearbox parts from Shapeways (latest rev. 1.3):   >> King Cab TRF201 Gear Box - Complete <<

1x 54471         TA06 Steel Gear Diff. Unit Rear
1x 22031         TD4/TD2 Slipper Clutch Set
1x 53587         Shim 5x0.2mm (1 needed)
1x 13454709  Idler Shaft  (alternatively: 54344)
1x 54262         Idler Gear (alternatively: 51416)
1x 19114075  Spacer N15 (N-Parts tree)
1x 19804411  Screw 3x36mm (4 needed)
1x 13450284  Aluminum motor plate (alternatively: 54225 /13454715)
1x 50586         Washer (2 needed)
1x 19805746  Cap Screw 3x8mm (2 needed)
1x 19808013  Cap Screw 3x6mm (2 needed)
1x 19805990  Screw 3x5mm (2 needed)
1x 19004273  Gear Cover
1x 19805957  Screw 3x10mm
1x 19805763  Screw 3x10mm
1x 19805765  Screw 3x8mm

1x 42115  Ball bearings 1510 (2 needed)
2x 42113  Ball bearings 1050 (3 needed)
1x 42113  Ball bearings 840 (1 needed)

@Sgt.Speirs, maybe you can add 53577 and 53588 to the above list in the opening post?

• Like 1

On 2/12/2023 at 7:52 AM, davidsen said:

I have adjusted according the Td4 slipper manual. Does not seem to slip at all so it might be too firm. Honestly I have almost no experience with slippers so this is something that I need to work on for the next ride. 

Did a full battery ride yesterday and tried to set up the slipper. It's hard to hear it when it slipping or not but I managed to set up for almost no wheelies and good acceleration so I think I will keep it like this. Worst case I will need to get new slipper pads soon 🤪

Don't see a reason to go for brushless, the superstock motor is more than enough and offers great throttle control. 

• Like 3

Do you see something out of the ordinary here?

20230228_212825.jpg.0401d92c9378acf0e909296d39f1baf8.jpg

No? Well, here it is:

20230228_212945.jpg.080aa475de9dd208d0e648b2cdecf31e.jpg

@Sgt.Speirs and @ThunderDragonCy this TRF201 Transmission Conversion really works great! Best thing is I'm not afraid to floor it. Can give it full throttle without worrying about doing damage to a vintage transmission. Thank you!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

St. Spears and I were in Laupheim at the Tamico Cup and happened to talk about the King Cab and how cool it would be to race it here. I told him that I had installed a special transmission that a smart guy in Germany had designed. He said: hey, that guy is me. Very funny coincidence. We had not known each other before and it was great to meet so great and interesting people with the same Tamiya passion at this race. Will return to race there next year for sure.

I then told him about my old Saint Dragon (Madcap chassis) and that it actually felt too expensive for me to buy the transmission (especially the Tamiya parts) for the Madcap chassis and that I was thinking about using the parts left over from building the BBX for it somehow or selling the car again. He then told me that he had a set of 3D printed parts left over that he sold me the next day.

So my Saint Dragon was back on the workbench. Unfortunately, it turned out that the shaft of the Spur Gear (non-Slipper) from the BBX is too short and therefore does not fit on the gearbox. So, I thought about which parts could still fit and how to get them cheaply. So, I came back to the TD4 and the thought that there will be people out there who had the Slipper and Gear Diff installed and have the standard TD4 parts left. So I started a wanted ad here on Tamiyaclub. Didn't take long until user @toyolien answered me and I was able to buy a TD4 ball diff, standard shaft and spur gear for a good price.

So I could build a great gearbox for my Saint Dragon. The car is not finished yet, but I wanted to show you that you can build the gearbox with the TD4 standard parts if you have them left or can buy from somebody who did hopup his TD4/TD2.

Many thanks to  @toyolien and @Sgt.Speirs for making it possible to restore this vintage ride. Will come back with pictures as soon it is totally done. 

PXL_20230827_204012322.MP.jpg

PXL_20230827_195142857.MP.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hi @davidsen,

great to hear that the TD2/TD4 standard main shaft and spur gear will also work with the gearbox.

In this case a gearbox cover without the extension for the slipper clutch will make sense (cover on the right side) 😊

img_8616sseba.jpeg

img_86173deby.jpeg

Best regards and until next year in Laupheim at the latest 😁

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Sgt.Speirs said:

Hi @davidsen,

great to hear that the TD2/TD4 standard main shaft and spur gear will also work with the gearbox.

In this case a gearbox cover without the extension for the slipper clutch will make sense (cover on the right side) 😊

img_86173deby.jpeg

Best regards and until next year in Laupheim at the latest 😁

Fits perfectly, just needed some shims as I did not have the correct spacer that comes with the TD4. But a part I haven't used with my BBX did the job after some trimming and shims. 

As you mentioned: no need have the slipper adjustment cover. 

I've started designing a simple cover yesterday as it is sold out everywhere. Put it on the 3D printer... and it turned out I did it mirrored 🤣. So I need to do it again this evening. 

Your design is ways better, but I designed to print on a Prusa FDM printer so It might be okay. 

• Like 2

Finally it is done: my Saint Dragon got a new gearbox and a full service.

Might never run it... but it is good to know I could ;-)

Somehow the original dogbones have been to short, so I needed to use some longer ones. The 71mm of the DF-01 Chassis felt a little to long, so I ended using the 68mm version that is available for the DB-01. 

I wanted to figure out why the original dogbones worked on the King Cab and did not work on this one but there are so many active projects at the moment so I did not find the time.

image033.jpg

image021.jpg

image025.jpg

• Like 1

I could finally create and upload the video of the assemby of the gearbox...

PS: It's a video from an designer/engineer and not from a professional video editer ;) 

• Like 1