Juhunio

Juhunio's TRF415MSX Restoration Project

As mentioned in 'The Postman Bought Me' thread, yesterday I received the final pieces needed to complete this restoration project (along with a couple of other bits and bobs).

spacer.png

So, without further ado...

spacer.png

• Like 3

Rear universals first, which completes the rear end. Once again the assembly includes the 5x1.9mm spacer inbetween the bearings

spacer.png

• Like 2

Then the spur gear assembly, with all completely brand new parts

spacer.png

Turns out that it's impossible to fit this with the front belt fastened in place, it's just too tight to be able to manoeuvre the rear belt on. So I had to take the front bulkhead apart and lift the front one-way out first. Getting it out was easy, getting it back in and lining up the belt tensioners / bearing holders with the correct slot in the front bulkheads with the front suspension all assembled...not so much. It got quite sweary

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Steering assembly next, fully shimmed to make it as silky smooth as possible. It really is silky smooth 

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 2

And then once the new belt-stabiliser is built up with the new antenna holder...

spacer.png

I was able to fit the top deck, which is a bespoke part that came with the stick-battery conversion set

spacer.png

• Like 3

Wheels, tyres and a nice fresh set of lock nuts...

spacer.png

And that's it finished 😀

What arrived as a halfway 415 / 415MS is now fully restored and upgraded to full 415MSX spec.

The guiding principles were:

• if the part looks new, keep it
  • if the part looks pretty good, serviceable but not mint; clean it, sell it and buy a new one
  • finish with a mint-condition full spec TRF415MSX

Over and above manual-spec, the only Hop Ups are:

• 49385 TRF415MSX Chassis Conversion Kit for Stick Batteries
  • 49426 Blue Aluminium Ball Diff Joint (for rear diff)
  • 53124 Tungsten Carbide Diff Balls (for rear diff)
  • Titanium hex screws throughout 

spacer.png

• Like 7

I absolutely loved working on this. It was a real treat to work with such a high spec chassis, to take what was a bit of a basket-case and return it to full spec and mint condition, hunting for new parts and wheeling and dealing a few old ones along the way

Thing is...I've no real need for it, I'm not going to use it and I can't see myself cutting a body shell to suit those post positions.

So, I'm going to sell it. Coming soon to an eBay near you, hopefully it will find a new home with someone who will put it to good use 😀

spacer.png\

• Like 8

Very nice bud 👍🏻

It would be great to see a new GT3 992 Porsche on one of your fancy chassis’s, but it’s just a pest that they are 251mm wheelbase though which is limiting outside the TT02 type complementary display stand they come with. 

On 7/15/2023 at 8:11 PM, Tamiyastef said:

What a looker! 

Thank you, and thanks again for your help getting those final parts out of Poland 👍

• Thanks 1

On 7/16/2023 at 2:11 AM, Re-Bugged said:

Very nice bud 👍🏻

It would be great to see a new GT3 992 Porsche on one of your fancy chassis’s, but it’s just a pest that they are 251mm wheelbase though which is limiting outside the TT02 type complementary display stand they come with. 

Thanks very much!

I tried the previous GT3 (VIP Cup) shell and didn't like it...something about the rear arches didn't feel quite right. This new one looks to have the same issue to mine old eyes, although the nose and wing are much nicer

I do, however, like the look of the older TL01 version of the body (the one that came with the Becker livery), the proportions look better to me. If I ever find a boxed body set I will treat myself to that one

FYI, I'm pretty sure the TA05 can be converted to 251mm, I had a 240Z Rally body set that came with instructions on how to convert a TA05 to fit that shell. I have a TA05 bits-a-build project to work on at some point, with all black aluminium parts, so maybe that could be the one for the Porsche?

• Like 1

Cheers for the info on the TA05 @Juhunio, very much appreciated, I’ll have to see what’s about when it comes to it 👍🏻

• Like 1

On 7/26/2023 at 11:22 AM, Re-Bugged said:

Cheers for the info on the TA05 @Juhunio, very much appreciated, I’ll have to see what’s about when it comes to it 👍🏻

Found it...

spacer.png

• Thanks 1