Sign in to follow this  
silvertriple

Hirobo 44Bs and Zerda :-)

There was few parts remaining to deal with, and in particular the C-Hub...

I decomposed it in few parts I modeled and then assembled the bodies...
PNz0ERG.jpg
4HdNyKz.jpg
pOrOwJj.jpg
LCCoXqE.jpg

After the assembly and body removal, here is the result
poz4tHe.jpg
MvlAZiq.jpg

I did a last adjustment (after the mirror, and replicated the same with L on the left one)
LMbsBJ1.jpg

Then I pusued the assembly (the front shock tower was not finished, but I needed to check something)
mYUFJin.jpg

And actually I had two mistakes on the roll cage
FyviqD9.jpg

Which I corrected quickly...
AYsR7PZ.jpg

Then I completed the hideous front bendable towers
BI5Cb7l.jpg

Remains to do in terms of models : 
- the belt cover and the rubber glove which comes with it.
- the shocks (I need to check the dimension again and what I have in the parts...)

I also need to add the suspension arms to the car to finish it, but I may keep this for later...

Yesterday, I also modeled the number plate and their support
XTlJe9K.jpg

This morning, I decided to deal with my last key part to model (all other parts missing in the assembly have a existant occurrence in one of the models, being the Bearcat SS or one of the 44B, shocks put aside): the pulley belt cover.

I have one new and one slightly damaged, and the parts assembly fusion 360 as reference.

First I set everything I need into one single file, and set one single sketch to define the key elements.
9eAQZiM.jpg

Then, there was two possibilities : 

• model it as it was provided by Hirobo. I doubt they all the element so clearly established in a 3D plan at that time, and their approach was likely very empiric, with large tolerances. The way it is make it is in no way watertight or dirt tight, not sure this is the good option

• Second option is to make it in a way it will work better for that aspect, which is exactly what I'm going to try to do here

THere might be few details still to deal with here, but it may look like this at the end...
H1OyeHf.jpg

Or with the tie rod sock (targeted for rubber resin print - 1mm thickness)...
uBRFPe7.jpg

I made it the pulley belt cover1.5mm thick, so I could consider a proper printing (transparent resin maybe a possibility). Ultimately, it would look like this, with the upper part taking over the gearbox to make it as close as possible...
YW56Zie.jpg

Need to deal with the shocks... I'm missing few informations to be able to complete them :

• piston length front and rear

• shock bodies length for front and rear

If you have samples and could do the measure, it would be helpfull...

I put additional elements inside the model...

Arms, upper arms, hub carrier and wheels
e4KERJd.jpg

Once there, I could not stand the white rims, and dyed them in red :-)
ptAKJOL.jpg

It is obviously better this way :)

Then I focused on the rear. I adjusted the slot position for the ubber sock on the belt cover. It is now fine and the arms can move up and down without risks to collide with the cover... The rubber sock looks weird in this contect. but I won't play with more joints to get it working properly (the modeled part is not flexible, while in reality  it would be, like the springs).
UvVHGmP.jpg

The upper arms required quite a bit of adjustment, another proof the guy who defined the lengths in the manual likely did not built the car (way too long).
3tbmBs5.jpg

I also added Steering servo and steering ords... It explains why the top deck of the zerda was recut to fit the servo head...
lYt4VpB.jpg

Still missing : shocks (I put aside the driver figure or the nuts and screws I did not add in the model).

Edit :
I moved the servo at the farest possible point on the rear. It's better, the steering rods length indicated are still off, and it stills collide with the top deck... I may modify the belt cover so it doesn't collide anymore, but that would mean a Zerda re-release :-)
aHgFGlD.jpg

I have now some nice shocks for my Zerda :-)
gESCvs0.jpg

I put them on the car next. Apparently, It really needs a pivot ball... and Fusion 360 doesn't like my joints (I did a shortcut and did not put screws in, and apparently, it would need again something else than a revolute joint)... 
DvlqZMz.jpg

Not much an issue, this virtual car won't run, even vitually  :mrgreen: 

For the Zerda itself, the target is to get it running, but the idea is to rely on Kyosho legendary series shocks...

I've been very quiet today... This is because I spent most of my time today in Fusion360...

First, I adjusted the walls of the 44B bath tub to get them lining up with the belt pulley cover... The fact is, it is really easier to mesure on the Zerda, as there is no différence between top and bottom distances. I was sure for the Zerda, but not so sure for the 44B. This is now lining up properly.
MHBHAgt.jpg
DhWsdAV.jpg

I included .5 recess where the holes need to be done to line up with my belt cover (I still need to do one minor check on the pulley belt cover and the front profile of the rear gearbox... I'll do this at some point when I can use the printer...

After this, I started something else. I have no body shells for the 44B, it is time to make at least one. I've decided to work out one simplified for the Hilux (I have not much hope to find one new or repro).

Started by the front
VIMHIcw.jpg

It is a bit brute, and it's not possible to do more than this with my method (relying on solid and shell), as the shell doesn't work when I apply fillets... That being said, I may use this to set a basis for a mould.

After a lot of work, I finally got something looking like a bodyshell...
Az0saVi.jpg

And I can even put it on the chassis
rzVS4w5.jpg

I then took care of the accessories I have at hand
qfEebtl.jpg

Then ther was the roll bar I did it based on proportions I saw on pictures...
C02alJO.jpg

At the end I applied esome materials property, and I had my bodyshell ready to put on the car.
DWz3e5R.jpg

And some pics to end this :
CR2D1So.jpg
OQHnxM1.jpg
RVWmQfe.jpg
W3jQpGg.jpg

That was fun... The bodyshell at least allowed me to do this. I still have a part somewhere to model : it's the motor rubber cap. Looking at how complex the exercise to build such a bodyshell, I'm not sure I'll model the Rock'n City bodyshell (especially considering that I don't have it in hands)... Next ; print tests and rebuilds (no ideas about when)...

• Like 1

Test print n°1 : Rear gearbox side

I decided to print a section to validate what I was not 100% sure about...
mzexC5A.jpg

The printed section matches with the real one (although the picture is misleading due to parallax issue)...
W1rKo2D.jpg

In terms of uncertainties, I did not have much ones. The rear gearbox profile was on one of them. The bath tubs and Zerda belt covers relies on it, as well as the pulley belt cover and it is not a question anymore. 
Test is passed. Next will be a test of the front gearboxes, again with the target to validate the last few % of uncertainties I still have...

Test 2
Front Gearbox for 44B
vjeN9hl.jpg

Again everything lines up perfectly. It's good feeling when everything matches. Test passed.

Test 3
Front Gearbox for Zerda
wcSC92z.jpg

The front profile doesn't match exactly. I will have to find out the exact difference : it's really minimal and non fonctional difference (the front angle is not right).
I will reveiw this, but the result overally is not that bad.

• Like 1

Beside my own testing, I sent my stl files for the 44B-SWB to a friend who had a chassis without bath tub. He had quite hard time to invent one, and succeeded, but when I proposed him to do some test of my bath tub, he welcomed the idea...

Yesterday evening, he sent me some pictures...
RbtyNds.jpg
foQZkBy.jpg
HarGukZ.jpg
uDe8aG5.jpg
Lhadz5A.jpg

I sent the file while I was not sure I would be able to validate the rear profile of the bath tub, and suggested he print a section of the bath tub to check the profile before going for the full print. He did so and reported while I succeed to restart my printer on Sunday morning. I had not much doubts on the rest of the bath tub, and only the rear profile was a small uncertainty.
I'm verry happy to say he is reporting a success :)

• Like 1

I extracted some pics from the 44B-City ad to be able to do a canvas for a 44B-Baja body...
3BmfOYP.jpg
6XS77Ya.jpg

The form maybe complex, but I will try to do something
SEvcy8z.jpg

Let's see if we can form a bodyshell for this LWB chassis :-)

• Like 1

Some times later... I produced the different profiles of the bodyshells
S7p2l0b.jpg

I then applied lofts between all the sections completed with some extrusions, applied a shell and made a mirror... It's far from perfect, but for the time being it looks like good enough for something I don't really want to do anything with (this baja body is not really what I'm looking for this chassis). At least it was more or less easy to get in Fursion 360, and is suitable to show the chassis with a bodyshell...
KUSwN9r.jpg
ineNG44.jpg
wETcjo9.jpg

At least I have now 3 completed cars for this project :-)

• Like 1

Having the Baja in CAD (more or less), I could not resist to put them in the same file...
oJHmo6e.jpg
M2Q2GI7.jpg
fYYM21t.jpg

I will review the Hilux bodyshell as I really intend to do something with it. I've order a Lancia 037 touring body from TBG, it may be quite close of the one from Hirobo... We'll see...

• Like 1

The work I did yesterday for the 44B Racing Baja bodyshell made me think a lot last night: the LWB chassis has a lot of options in terms of bodyshells... For the SWB, there is not much... We could eventually rely on a a M chassis body for 210MM wheelbase, but the winch would not work with it... Had to find one bodyshell that works with... And I started to love this Hilux bodyshell. Unfortunately, no reproduction available :-(

Over the last months I spend so much time trying to get a bodyshell mould done for the Midships of Bormac... Still trying, but I have thought about a lot of things. The Hilux bodyshell have some complex stuff, but I should be able to do something for it...

I took a copy of my work to make the virtual bodyshell, got it back before the shell application. If I do a mould, there is no need for the shell. I first applied some fillets and the details on the bonnet...
it5UIVF.jpg

Then started to apply details (all before the mirror is applied)...
35txbLM.jpg

And some details again until I was happy with it...
Yj72Xp5.jpg

Here is what it should look like with the accessories
vmFFLC8.jpg
RsZ3OKn.jpg

Now, only thing left to do is to find one being able to print and vacuform this bodyshell...

Woke up this morning and noticed I missed 2 details on the bodyshell

Opened Fusion 360, and added them
I7iRadU.jpg
NznHbBI.jpg

The wheelbase is about 210 mm, so it would work as well for a M chassis. Do you think it makes sense to start discussion with bodyshell makers?

This morning, I got new updates on the ongoing tests that I delegated...

The front belt cover has been printed and the tests are also concluding...
00bFPNG.jpg
vEPpMXD.jpg
HFYDAJo.jpg
IP50fK5.jpg
Dm2F3wO.jpg

My tester reported that everything is lining up perfectly, and he is totally enthousiast about the next steps...

That being said, later on, he reported issues with the servo saver... He sent me a picture.
NPeP3dS.jpg

I checked my model, and revert back quickly to him about the outcome, and suggested he take the servo saver component from the Bearcat SS on Thingiverse :-). He was already considering two other solutions, but the Hirobo one should work here...
sbFJfV9.jpg

Next I did some work to estimate the costs of my venture in Bodyshell making... The mould would need to be printed in a material allowing for high temperature: highly expensive (far too much, out of reach).
did considered next an opposite mould : that makes the things slightly less costly, as the material can be basic, and would allow to pour in some high temp capable resin... Less expensive but unfortunately still out of reach...

It's a bit disapointing. I may print a counter mould at home, bit would need someone to be able to work it out for the next step... Dead idea?

Well, I toyed a bit with the idea of printing a bodyshell, and adapted it for this (another fork in my project tree). After some work : here is what I have.
7l2ZWQh.jpg

And it may look acceptable.
W0YEA6w.jpg

I'll make it in 2 or 3 parts as even fro my Ender 5 plus, it is too big, and while doing this, I may want some people being able to print it on smaller printers...

Let's see where this goes in the next days...

• Like 1

I have solution without printing requirements for the MXL pulleys thanks to some indications on search terms found on ebay:
I found on ebay using "mxl14T timing belt pulley" search terms. One have 14T-60T, with different bores that makes the job and that should cover all the possible requirements.

For the belts, after some search, the easiest way to find them was to use the search term "xxxMXL025" with xxx corresponding to the number of tooth. And I found a provider in France having all of the needed ones in France.

Final Belts
44B : 91MXL025
Zerda : 92MWL025
For the central belt :
44B-SWB : 280MXL025
44B-LWB/Zerda : 336MXL025

Since the bodyshell is big and not even small enough for my big ender 5 plus printer, I had to make the bodysehll in two parts...

I did cut the body at the interface between the rear side and the cabin.
CvfuLlf.jpg

I created additional elements for the interface between the front and rear side...
hYUhoPi.jpg
mSlaRT1.jpg

There is two centering plots that could be printed as well, and the fixation is done by 5 M3 screws and M3 nuts... Front part is longer and it is making about 214mm long. But the intention is really to get it printed with  the interface area between front and rear on the print bed...

I finally got a scan of the rollbar, which should allow me to make it slightly more like the original one. 

I spend a few minutes playing with the rendering to see what it would look like...
ALk2Dda.png
gURT3PR.png
mLnqcvN.png

And in red, but I think my choice is set...
znX9Uyk.png
z1MbyEG.png

I also played with blue and green for a friend, but the blue doesn't make it for me, and the green maybe very well suitable as a decoration on a christmas tree :-D

The Hirobo manual has some shemas with the 44B City bodyshell... They look to be in the right proportions...
BPvt1nE.png

Thie 44B City bodyshell has something special to me: when I got my Hunter, none of my Kyosho's favorite (Scorpion and Tomahawk) were available  and among the cars available my first choice was actually a Hirobo Rock'n City. It did not happened as the seller told my father it would be brocken too quickly. As a result, I got the Hunter instead the City. But I remember having read track test of this car back in time. The bodyshell was different from other cars, it has some personality, and I really liked it... The friend who gave me the chassis has actually multiple 44B cars, and one of them is a City. I collected pics last time I went to see him, and the other day, seeing what I was doing with the Hilux bodyshell, he proposed to provide me the Coty body for a few weeks to make a City bodyshell model... I'll try to start from the manual scan first, but may complete it from the actual measurements later on...

I initially thought the City body would be easier than the Hilux, but it is definitely not the case...

Started by applying Canvas and calibrated them around the chassis
okjeh6M.jpg

Then create a first extrusion and a second one to make the profile of the body...
OXR66zD.jpg

Then tried to loft or sweep the profile... Many tries already, and I'm back to square one... I think it avove my current limit in Fusion 360. I need to learn how to master form and surface modelling for this... I will try other ways, but this will definitely take more time than what I initially expected...

As said yesterday, the main body requires to approach the things differently.

I started to work it out today...
First, I defined the top profile with T-splines for the window, the bonnet and the roof. I defined arcs on planes along the path using the canvas to approximatively position them so I get the needed result. After that, I applied one loft for the front, one for the bonnet, one for the roof and lastly one for the windows And that looks very much closer from what I expect...
p4EJcKl.jpg

Then I defined remaining faces from their profile.
3HuADRT.jpg

I then applied lofts to complete the front, and used sketches to define the bottom patches.
6r1742g.jpg

Last, I did use Trim tool to remove the unnecessary pieces of profile.
Zscld4p.jpg

I then used the stich tool to "glue" faces together (one by one, other wise it doesn't close the body, and I have now a solid body to define the main body of my Rock'n City... That was the hard part. I expect the rest to be easier :-)

Yesterday, after my last post here, I started to draw the rear additions...
85mb6D7.jpg

And when starting to extrude them, I noticed that all the work I did till now was useless... The shell did not work, and joining additional bodies neither... Time to go to bed, to sleep and to think about alternatives... This morning was not better either...

Then I got an idea : what if it comes from the line inserted in the middle on the sides?

During my lunch break, between two meetings, I took the time to check... And this is because of that line : any details needs to be applied after the thinken or the shell command...

After my day of work, I reopened Fusion 360, and restarted properly this time.

After having rebuild the main body without the line, I started to work out the rear left side...
p6F19Yk.jpg

I soon added it to the main body, did some cut, a mirror and a join, and here we are...
chqDpLe.jpg

Next is about the front, where I applied the same principles...
kl5DLxw.jpg

We are getting there...
YqJewDR.jpg

A lot remains to do, but it should go quicker... I'm also quite sure I can prepare a printable bodyshell, the windows shell  and everything to do a close but not exact rock'n city... I learned quite a lot of things those days, and I'm quite sure I would do the Hilux differently with this things I discovered those days...

Started my day with the plain bodyshell in Fusion 360
kw9eTnp.jpg

I started to focus on roof, and that was quick and easy... Then the side was a lot of work... It was a bit long to obtain what I wanted, but at the end it works more or less the way I want...
tkxUH01.jpg

Next I tackled the winshield opening... DId not succeed to the limits around, I may have to rework this again later, as it  is spanning on 2 faces, the way I worked the rest did not make it. I will need to find another solution.
Enq7JpT.jpg

Next was to deal with the rear face... The complexity level is high, and sometimes I had to find workaround as the main body gets faces broken without any reasons... I still don't understand the problems sometimes but at the end I got a valid result.
dwslKUH.jpg
lbIal5l.jpg

Next is about the front face, but that will be after the break...

I tackled the front after the break...

First started by the front end... There was different options, but looking at what happened to the rear, I decided to do it by small extrusions... After a lot of them, I finally got it right (the timeline is huge, but it is doing the job - I grouped them before applying the mirror).
DXUaSqk.jpg

After that, I had to take care of the bonnet. In comparison to what I've done until now, this was simple...
orw6AiX.jpg

It already looks more or less like a City body (not perfect, but it is better than nothing, especially considering that I did not have it in hands).
CP6Xxwk.jpg
aPknlWu.jpg

There is few details missing : I need to emboss the vents on the top of the bonnet, and the opening marks... And beside this, I will need to take care of the windshield part, so it can be printed too...

With a full surface definition for the main body, it was very easy to pull a model for the windows body... I used a new copy of my bodyshell and removed everything except the surfaces definition in the timeline. Then I applied an offset to make it smaller, and used that to generate the body fo rthe windows...
VNd10FF.jpg

Next I had to find a way to fix the windows body, it's basically easy, you just have to check it won't be a problem with the bathtub or the rest of the chassis... I opted for 6 M3x6 screws. I defined first the attachments on the windows body...
I0DjHC5.jpg

Then I defined the ones on the bodyshell
GjrtbQr.jpg

I then made additional small checks with the roll bar as I wanted to make sure there won't be any issues with it... At some point I had a discrepancy between the center of the chassis and the center of the bodyshell, something I can't explain, but while trying to solve it, I've seen some weard things (not it's not something I wanted to display the belts)...
He4179q.jpg

Some pics of the finished Fusion360 model...
sZyuoW0.jpg
nd3ZPlg.jpg
AmEVxFk.jpg
5pQ1V3C.jpg
qph0Ypa.jpg
35ivPLA.jpg
XvmIyqC.jpg

I will need to get prints organized for the windows and the bodyshell to do a test after the rebuild...