AJB123

Rally car cockpit set and body posts

I’ve almost finished my XV-01 Lancia Delta, and I’m starting to think I need a cockpit set for it… It’d probably have to be the rally car cockpit even though I’ve done the body as a road car and not in the Martini colours.

Thinking about fitting one, though, the rear body posts would obviously have to go through it. No problem there. But I realised just now that there are snap pins on the body posts, going across the car, to support the body. What do people do about that? Would I have to cut holes in the interior wide enough to let a whole snap pass through? I can’t see any other way really, but it seems a shame.

Also are there any other more road car options, or is the Tamiya rally car one my best bet? At least it should fit the body well!

Thanks in advance.

My current solution is to use tubes instead of the snap pins. This improves three aspects: 1) the holes through the cockpit can be smaller, 2) it makes it much easier to put/remove the cockpit from the chassis without the snap pins getting caught and 3) it does not scratch the body, specially if the holes are on the rear window where you can't inconspicuously protect it.

I've been using white silicone tubes but have now moved to black nitrile tubes. Both are easily found in eBay. 6mm ID, 9mm OD works well.

Some pics below. The tubes are on the rear.

Audi-10.JPG

Audi-03.JPG

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

@AJB123 Besides the rally cockpit set (54491) Tamiya makes two other 1/10 cockpit sets with single driver: Touring car left-hand drive (54298) and Touring car right-hand drive (54157).

A chance for me to show-off a little bit :P

Left-hand:

FerrariF12-5.JPG

Right-hand:

3.JPG

• Like 6