Nesrak

Building a TT-02 Audi Quattro A2 for rally

On 11/4/2022 at 9:50 PM, Oosto said:

Nice work.  I use 55mm 3Racing aluminium shocks on my TT02 rally (with upper mounting holes on suspension arms) and get 20mm ride height which I find is good enough for most of my off road adventures 😊  I suggest getting the Tamiya or Yeah Racing aluminium rear hubs (with 3 degree toe in) and trimming the lower shaft of the front steering hubs (note: there is great video from Mark Bryan RC on YouTube that shows you how to do this) as both of these mods will help you maximise ground clearance without fowling the drive shafts.  I also highly recommend using the Tamiya TT02 dust cover or one from Kamtec (which I use) to protect the electronics and stop gravel from jamming up the steering and centre drive shaft.  Happy rallying!

Should I get the Tamiya or Kamtec one? I've seen that they are similar but I feel like they really restrict air flow and would make it heat up. I've seen some mesh ones on eBay that look very similar to the one I use on my Typhon 3s which works great. Also I will probably 3d print some wheel covers for over the wheels that should hopefully help.

Either will work fine.  Yes, lack of airflow can be a problem.  I use an aluminium heat sink for the motor and a Yeah Racing aluminium motor mount to try and dissipate some of the heat generated by the motor.  So far, so good.  No overheating problems 😊

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Nesrak said:

Should I get the Tamiya or Kamtec one?

The Tamiya one is a better fit, but the Kamtec one is more robust. Both do the job well enough. 

• Like 1

Servo and bearings came. Where I live it gets wet so I bought a waterproof one that also has a warranty just in case!ff957ee7-ebe7-4fec-bd67-f366b82420eb.thumb.jpg.fb0ac0673d661e7cc35eaea44325dbc1.jpg

Bought the wrong adapter though and quickly ordered a new one so it can be here by this weekend...48ddfc23-175a-4c77-b386-3e9b19f1f9bf.thumb.jpg.956eb7bfd32ee667768a5e5a3fff02ac.jpg

• Like 1

The last part is here!!!

Got the new adapters! Did a test fit and they are nice and snug.

Building Sunday :)

9aff5393-0c47-4483-a27f-2eb354736cc9.jpg

Can I suggest that you change your plug to Deans on your ESC instead of using an adapter.  Much more efficient and secure connection than the Tamiya plug 😊

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Oosto said:

Can I suggest that you change your plug to Deans on your ESC instead of using an adapter.  Much more efficient and secure connection than the Tamiya plug 😊

That's what I want to do but I don't have a soldering iron yet and this was just easier for now.

I'm thinking of sticking a super stock rz motor in here just for a quick upgrade. I haven't seen anyone use one in a TT-02 but I have seen them used for other cars. I'll test it out and see!

Driveshaft in! Super smoothPXL_20221113_215927008.thumb.jpg.7dad2a6f4f594631da0baeea1143a7e0.jpg

Fast forward, have the motor in and gear mesh set. Haven't modded the suspension yet.250e8b12-1671-4e66-82a8-909549830077.thumb.jpg.c8f05d7bcaf1e4b06a300137b23a77f9.jpg

Also switched locations

Starting on the shocks. Decided to use the shorter eyelets so I can mount in the top hole. I used harder springs (yellow) in the rear and softer (red) in the front.PXL_20221114_031136751.thumb.jpg.2fca43e5a60902e649a3a8b71d1122ff.jpgc9e2dc2b-7661-4be0-99a4-462ae27b66df.thumb.jpg.186e4480a4df4edb840b86a75ba463c0.jpg

Suspension mounted and working! Nice and smooth. I love how it looks on the car :)2f58c1c0-9211-4b1e-a23d-0f53d159bf04.thumb.jpg.1d4c659a78812db503ca9a50d509ba59.jpg62388d53-b3a4-4554-98ba-14a365ab30f4.thumb.jpg.2ac238b8e51d93c1c71b28319ebdcaf3.jpg

• Like 1

Now for the electronics! Tested them out made sure they were working and stuck em on!f775b7e9-eee6-470e-883b-62903a40c7cc.thumb.jpg.86307bc62859767d857a1c3014341247.jpg

Didn't realize the kit didn't come with tire glue but at least it gives me an opportunity to get rally blocks 😅bc7f0a37-1a6a-470c-b8e5-80f940c253cd.thumb.jpg.ab8c8e7e91074803b8ed532f90f40164.jpg

• Like 1

Body posts put on and shell mounted! Looks amazing 🤩 4077f6ac-e535-4aa5-9937-1b9ea9e3f1f9.thumb.jpg.80e3c4e0272f42cbc2ee151812bfdd88.jpg

Wasn't paying attention to detail when building earlier in the built and put the rear diff in wrong... Went back and fixed it though and now it's running. I put the wrong bearings on the driveshaft though so later I will have to fix that...

That's all for right now. Hopefully will get some running footage later today!

• Like 4

Ok so some slight problems...

I cut the body posts too low and now the back of the body drags when you make a sharp turn.

Also the steering rack is not very good and it makes it hard for the car to turn.

I made the ride height very high (27mm) which is working really nice. There is some slight rubbing on the dog bones when you turn but other than that it is good.

It has little to no traction on off road surfaces because of the stock on road wheels so I will get some rally blocks.

Other than that it drives really smoothly and handles pretty ok considering I'm using the stock steering.

• Like 1

A few suggestions to significantly improve your car’s steering performance and durability:

1. Place a 2-3 mm spacer between where the steering arm attaches to the steering upright.  This should reduce some of the binding.

2. Replace the entire steering rack with either the Tamiya or Yeah Racing (YR) aluminium unit and use adjustable steering links with ball ends (I think the YR steering kit includes these parts).  This will also enable you to adjust front toe-in/toe-out.

3. Replace the front dog bones with either Tamiya or YR CVD drive shafts.  I use the Tamiya hop-up units but these also require the purchase of matching cup drives.  The YR units use the kit standard cup drives.

• Like 1

I forgot to mention, be careful with your suspension travel. There’s a point where too much can lead to binding drive shafts.  An easy way to check this is to lift your car off the ground and use full throttle to see if there is any shuddering from the driveshafts.  I had this problem with my TT02 rear driveshafts so I reduced my suspension travel until I got smooth operation.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Oosto said:

I forgot to mention, be careful with your suspension travel. There’s a point where too much can lead to binding drive shafts.  An easy way to check this is to lift your car off the ground and use full throttle to see if there is any shuddering from the driveshafts.  I had this problem with my TT02 rear driveshafts so I reduced my suspension travel until I got smooth operation.

Thank you! I do plan on getting the YR driveshafts for front and rear and also I will get the Tamiya steering upgrade set because it has the link, rack, and servo saver in it. I do think I am at the end of the road when it comes to suspension travel. I am going to keep following the path to seeing how much steering I can get out of it safely. I bought the TT-02 to push it to the limits otherwise I would've just got a XV-01.

I'll give updates on my findings and techniques in case anyone else wants to mod their TT-02

Enjoy!  That's the great thing about the TT02 chassis - plenty of opportunities to tweak it!  I think I've done everything I can by way of upgrades and modifications with my TT02 and I'm really pleased with its performance, particularly as a rally car.  I also own a XV01 chassis which is definitely more 'rally ready' out of the box.  Both are cars are great fun to drive :D   BTW - here's a another really good information resource for TT02 tuning tips:   https://www.thercracer.com/2014/08/tamiya-tt02-guide-mods-tuning-and-tips.html

• Thanks 1

On 11/16/2022 at 5:25 PM, Oosto said:

Alright I checked and there was a little bit of shuddering so I limited it to around 24mm ride height. Once I get universals I'll see how it runs.

So the 68t spur got chewed up... I had to go back to the 70t one. I'll buy a 66t one to replace it.f40b6bde-c567-4e07-a820-07007a14bf6a.thumb.jpg.b68095221b62e893b263cfdf24a694df.jpg

Also the driveshaft got a scratched up after the first ever gravel run :( I thought that the motor was fried at one point but it was really just a rock stuck in it so it's working again. I'm buying a dust cover, universals, body post extenders, a new spur, and a heatsink. Hopefully later I will be able to get some rally blocks on this thing.034997a4-87dd-454a-9eef-e5012dd1a0fb.thumb.jpg.79a91db1d6292363f75a2ebfdcd17f0d.jpg

😫 ouch!  Definitely time to get that dust cover!  Be sure to get foam inserts for those rally block tires as well.

• Like 1

On 11/17/2022 at 9:21 AM, Nesrak said:

Ok so some slight problems..

Also the steering rack is not very good and it makes it hard for the car to turn.

Other than that it drives really smoothly and handles pretty ok considering I'm using the stock steering.

Take a look at the tt02sr pdf manual and follow how the steering is done, it uses a 23mm screw from the bottom and then a 10.4mm spacer. This just about as good as aluminum steering but much much better than how the stock tt02 is built.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Alright I ordered the yeah racing steel TT-02 universals for front and rear. I bought the dust cover and a 66t spur. I got some body post extenders to fix my wrongly cut ones. Finally I also got some heatsinks and the low friction suspension balls for the front suspension just because they were really cheap. I'll start making some videos soon!

• Like 1