Nesrak

Painting First RC body

I'm painting my first RC body shell which is a Audi Quattro A2 Rally for my upcoming TT-02 build. 

I was just wondering if I should paint the body after I build my TT-02 or before and also if I ream the holes before or after painting the body shell?

Thanks!

Hi @Nesrak!  

Doing the body before or after is completely up to you, but if you have the chassis completed, you can test fit the body before paint.  

I ream the holes prior to paint unless going for magnet body posts.  Basically I do all the cutting and sanding prior to paint and test fit on the chassis.   Just mask over the holes when you are ready to paint.  

GL with your project!  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nesrak said:

if I ream the holes before or after painting the body shell

Make the holes before painting or you will regret it (ask me how I know!). 

But I thought Tamiya shells usually comes pre-drilled? With pre-drilled shells, I usually do it at the same time as the chassis as time is needed for paint to dry and watching paint dry is boring. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alvinlwh said:

Make the holes before painting or you will regret it (ask me how I know!). 

But I thought Tamiya shells usually comes pre-drilled? With pre-drilled shells, I usually do it at the same time as the chassis as time is needed for paint to dry and watching paint dry is boring. 

No it isn't sadly. There do seem to be these indicators though? I don't really know if that's what they're for. Also I have a friend coming over to build it with me so I want to have the body done beforehand.

The circled area is one of them. There seem to be a set of them near the middle of the hood and some near the bottom for xv-02 pro possibly.

PXL_20221105_014250804~2.jpg

Dimples usually signify hole location, but if you’re up for it, I would look into magnetic body posts so you can have a very clean looking car.  Again entirely up to you.  

10 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

Dimples usually signify hole location, but if you’re up for it, I would look into magnetic body posts so you can have a very clean looking car.  Again entirely up to you.  

Sadly those are out of budget seeing as I only have enough money to buy the servo and bearings. I planned out everything to fit into a specific budget so can't really add anything unless it's an upgrade. 😕

• Like 1

Finished the body! Took about 13 hours and I'm pretty happy with the result! Some of the stickers do have bubbles and like 1 or 2 have wrinkles or are slightly off but it turned out nice!

PXL_20221106_172630271.jpg

PXL_20221106_172639127.jpg

• Like 5