RichieRich

Kyosho Outrage buggy

Hey guys. If you can believe it, this is my first build thread. I figured I would start a couple since I literally do not have any spare time with full-time work, full-time school and a wife + 2 teen daughters. This way, I have an excuse for slow updates. :D

So this car is a Kyosho Outrage which is a cheap-o Ultima and it actually belongs to my little brother. It was his first r/c car and he has no time to do any restorations since he also works full time but has like 47 kids. I had started doing a bit of a restoration years ago. I replaced the suspension arms, gear case and added some weird purple shock towers I had found. One of the huge issues is that the chassis is cracked in three places. I finally have a replacement chassis plus some other nos parts. So, this will go back to ALMOST stock with some performance updates. The shocks are AE gold shocks which may stay. I have not decided. I do have some period correct Duratrax gold shocks but they leak like a sieve and I think my brother may actually want to drive this since his boys are getting close to the age for driving r/c cars. Also, it's kinda dusty. :D

outrage-start.jpg

• Like 7

I had the stadium truck version of this as a teenager, I have to say it was the most disappointing soul destroying rc I’ve ever owned. Chassis’s used to crack near the motor mount, over and over and over again. The gearbox wore out rapidly. The shocks where hopeless and everything was smaller, weaker and less reliable than all the Tamiyas I’d owned so far and since. The money wasted on this thing, the little I had as a teenager pretty much put me off kyosho for years.

the nitro version was quite popular and the engine mount seemed to keep the same chassis as the electric had together. But the nitro engine was junk, you’d need a new piston and sleeve on a regular basis. 

Good luck trying to recover this thing, looks like someone’s put a fair bit of effort into trying to make it half decent. Be interested if you can find any new old stock parts. 

• Like 1

Wow, sorry you had such a negative experience. This car brought nothing but joy to my brother and thanks for the luck! This car is basically an Ultima so I have tons of parts for it. Probably 20 years ago I obtained a boatload of Ultima/Optima spares.

I had some time this weekend to blow off the dust and disassemble the car. The transmission was previously rebuilt with new internals and a new gear case so it was good. I broke open the NIB chassis, installed NOS suspension arms, added a NOS rear bulkhead (version 2), a NOS motor plate and a motor guard. I have an Ultima aluminum rear shock tower there just as a place holder.

outrage-01.jpg

• Like 4

Watching this with interest. Same as Juls I had a nitro stadium truck version of this and had nothing but problems with the gears stripping and other probs with the engine. Any how looking forward to the updates it brings back some memories! 

14 hours ago, Seanster43 said:

Watching this with interest. Same as Juls I had a nitro stadium truck version of this and had nothing but problems with the gears stripping and other probs with the engine. Any how looking forward to the updates it brings back some memories! 

Make it three... I had the nitro truck back in the day and used to buy spur gears in pairs just to get through the day.... motor was ok, but the chassis flexed so much it just ate the gears. 

Love restoration threads, good luck with the rebuild! 

Ok, here's the status now. All the plastic parts have been replaced except for the two top plastic top plates and the steering bellcrank. I've added some Factory Works turbo ultima shock towers. The original ones are plastic and you're limited on only using shorter shocks all the way around. Next is figuring out if I have the correct sizes for Kyosho turnbuckles. I think I may be a short a short set. :D The original parts are solid plastic links. I still have a bunch of parts to find. I know I have new servo mounts somewhere and new drive shafts. Oh, the wing mounts are original too. They are in good shape despite being rolled over on many times.

outrage-02.jpg

• Like 1

I guess it's time for an update. I was missing some 4x8 bearings and some 5.8mm balls which was keeping me from adding turnbuckles and wheels. I made a small upgrade to the rear by adding axles with cross pin to eliminate the old pressure fit hexes. There's some miscellaneous hardware that needs to be replaced to Kyosho/period types like the front axle locknuts. The body was painted probably 10 years ago with a color shifting paint. I don't remember the brand or color. Really, all that's left is finding some suitable shocks and tires. Maybe a set of MCI decals with custom colors would look cool. Though, I have a ton of 90s era decals that would work nicely.

PXL_20230304_214145380smaller.jpg

• Like 5