RichieRich

Kyosho Ultima RB5/Dirtmaster

Alright! 2nd build post. In the box with lots of shelf wear is an unbuilt Kyosho Ultima RB5. It was for sale at a local shop. The box was opened and several of the parts bags had also been opened. I was able to make a deal and upon a more detailed inspection at home, it was only missing the rear chassis plate. That's the part that connects the transmission to the main chassis. I guess someone opened the box and only removed that part. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

The only modification I'll make is adding the Lunsford turnbuckle set. The RB5 in the picture is my original RB5 that I bought back in 2007.

rb5 start.jpg

• Like 13

I have one of these myself. I bought it in Japan pre-built. I'm pretty sure it was built then never run. (I've run it several times since).
I wonder if it was maybe built and put on display in a hobby store somewhere.
Good chassis, one of my favorites.

• Like 1

I haven't updated this in a while. Since Kyosho announced the Dirt Master, I decided to hold off on the build until I could get one of the body sets. Well, the body came today so it looks like I will start building...once I finish painting some other bodies...DT-03, Cougar Classic, RC10B6.3. :D

rb5dirtmaster.jpg

• Like 10

I finished painting the DT03 and the Cougar Classic. Still have some other bodies to paint. I figured that was good enough to start this build. Let's see if I can remember to take some pics.

parts.jpg

• Like 4

I wonder if the parts on the plastic trees here are numbered? They are not in the Dirt Master kit...

It's still parts in bags. Mentally, I had to complete a couple of projects before I officially start. Those projects are done now so I suppose I should get going on it. :lol:

• Like 2

UPDATE!

I finished (mostly) my BBX build so now I've moved on to this. It's funny, even though this is an NOS RB5 kit, I've noticed that it's different from my original kit from 2007. It seems that at some point, Kyosho switched the hex hardware from 2.5 to 2.0 mm or maybe the other way around. Oh, I forgot to answer @Tamiyastef's question about numbering. NOTHING is numbered! :D

frontend.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RichieRich said:

NOTHING is numbered

I don't understand Kyosho in this.You make the effort of making a clear manual, get quality plastics for your parts trees, include ball bearings and hex hardware. And then you can't get A, B, C, D, etc on these parts trees let alone number the individual parts... Did the light went out on deadline day?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This is where I ended last night. Did not want to start rear turnbuckles. :D I was looking at pics of the Dirt Master and I am going back and forth about the rear wing. I did pick up the LA247 3 wing set a while back. I may use one of those.

overtop.jpg

• Like 3

Complete minus electronics and body. I am going to trim the body and pick a wing next. Then I'll have a Dirt Master with a ball diff, velvet shocks and CVDs.

mostlycomplete.jpg

• Like 2

I have not done much but I did trim the body. I don't think I'm going to use any of the Lazer wings. They are rather large and curvy. The Dirtmaster body needs something a little smaller and more angular like the Jconcepts Detonator wing or Team Associated 6182.

ultimadm01.jpg

ultimadm02.jpg

• Like 6