Sign in to follow this  
Chest Rockwell

Best performing Re-Re?

Hi all. Having loved Tamiya as a child in the early 90's then collected loads in the early 2000's (I was a member here but can't remember my log in!) I'm back for a third time as I've got my son interested!

I want to build a 4wd buggy to use along side my son's Lunchbox but am unsure which to go for. My favourite ever buggy is the Egress and I've had plenty in the past but can't afford one (or Avante) atm so am looking at the basic Re-Re's. The choice would be Boomerang if they were available but as they're not the Terra Scorcher is high on the list due to the factory ball race but I've always liked the Hotshot but never actually owned one. As it's an older design does it perform as well as Thundershot/Fire Dragon/ Thunder Shot/ Terra etc? Any others to consider?

It will be a runner so any performance advantage could sway it. Any advice would be ace!

Top Force Evos are still available at around £350, they would seem to be one of the best performing and spare parts are readily available.  The price is obviously high though.

Super Hot Shot would be good, but around £250 and a pain to work on due to the sealed chassis.  My view is that you really want to have a Hot Shot to buy one, a bit heart over head.

Standard Hot Shot is around £200 and again a pain to work on, plus the two shocks chassis never inspired me with confidence.

Terra Scorcher is a great option at around £175, although gearing options could be limiting depending on what motor you want to run.  You're also paying for the turnbuckles and stabilisers which don't really add much.

If you want cheap, a Saint Dragon can be had for £130 and bearings can be added cheaply:  https://www.jadlamracingmodels.com/tamiya-rc-47459-saint-dragon-4wd-2021-1-10-rc-model-car-assembly-kit/

Or for a little more, the better looking Fire Dragon:  https://www.timetunnelmodels.com/live/catalog/tamiya-47457-fire-dragon-reissue-without-custom-deal-bundle-p-68162.html

(For reference, I have a brushless Fire Dragon runner, a NIB Terra Scorcher kit and a Top Force Evo in the build queue...)

• Like 1

Thanks for the response Twin.

The Top Force came out just as I was moving on to other things so never was very interested although I'm sure they were decent. If I was spending £350 I'd just save a bit more for the Egress, which I may do anyway!

As a child I always wanted the Thundershot as I had the mini 4wd although when I finally got one I wasn't that impressed, however I was losing interest at that point. From memory I picked up the kit in a sale for £50! My friend had Fire Dragon and later the Thunder Dragon where was I collected the Terra Scorcher, Vanquish and plenty of others.

Thundershot can be had cheap, with Fire Dragon a little bit more so they would work but having always been interested in Hotshot I'd have paid the extra but I didn't know about the sealed chassis so maybe better as a shelf queen? The VQS is interesting but just like the Top Force, may as well save and get the Egress!!

Decisions, decisions!

If you want a HotShot, buy a HotShot.  Sooner or later you will anyway.  ;)

From a "best to drive" perspective, anything in the "Thundershot Family" is better than anything in the "Hotshot Family".  Thundershot, ThunderDragon, Saint Dragon (Barf...), Fire Dragon Or Terra Scorcher are all great runners that are readily available with a reasonable ticket price.

• Like 1

Yep, I agree @bRIBEGuy

@Chest Rockwell The Thundershot can't be had cheaper than the Fire Dragon, well certainly not that I've seen, as they seem to be around £180 at best.  I had a Thunder Dragon back in the day (still have it on the shelf next to me at the moment) so I've been following all the re-res on the same chassis.

I've looked at the VQS a few times and at £300ish I think it's overpriced for what it is.  Unless you have a sentimental attachment to the Vanquish I can't see why you'd buy one, which might explain where there are plenty available.

It sounds like you want an Egress but don't want to pay £500 for one.  I suspect a new Black Edition from an RC supplier will be cheaper than a NIB regular Egress kit on eBay so I guess only you can decide if you can stump up half a grand for one.  They're really not cheap are they?  :(

For a runner, to use alongside your son's Lunch Box, I'd get a Saint or Fire Dragon (for the four shock layout, ease of maintenance and good parts supply) and save up for an Egress for yourself for the future  ;)

Sound advice both, thank you. BTW, I meant Thunder Dragon, not Shot when saying it was cheap as the Shot is expensive compared ATM. Saint Dragon is a weird one as it was great as a mini 4wd but terrible scaled up. Guess they should do the Dash line as well!

Think you have decided for me and I'll go Scorcher or Dragon then save for the Egress. Only reason I'm reluctant to spend £500 now is that I'm dipping my toe back in to R/C but have other hobbies that need funds.

• Like 1

One thing about the Egress is that the normal edition is discontinued (at least for now) so if you really want one, I'd grab the black edition before they too disappear... otherwise expect to pay hefty premiums.. :wacko:   

I speak from experience spending ridiculous premiums the last year or so catching up to what I missed out in life.  I only live once so grabbed what I really wanted and enjoying them before I croak.  

• Like 2

Hmmmmm? I think I would agree with the above a topforce evo if funds permit because I always think that buggy was way ahead of it's time the way it handles and is still available (for now)

The hotshot is a really cool looking buggy and if its always been a favourite of yours then go for it or how about the super hotshot? The one thing that I find a bit irritating with the hotshot and the rest of the hotshot family is I find the gearboxes a bit to noisy? But it is an almost 40 year old design so you have to give it a break really!

• Like 2

Of those models mentioned the Fire Dragon or St Dragon are great options. One thing I had overlooked until getting them is the wing - they don't have one. The wing is always the first thing to break and that means either fitting another one or a whole new bodyset. They just need bearings, although I did the alloy A5 parts as well as apparently thats a big weak spot.

I have the Boomerang, Fire Dragon (and St Dragon) and Top Force and for a backyard runner they are all pretty much the same.  The Top Force does handle the best, but you're running with a Lunchbox and the others handle fine too, just with a few (understeery) quirks.

Another one worth considering is the Durga. They have popped up on ebay again for decent money (paid NZD340 delivered recently), and they are an excellent buggy which look like they can do it all. Being belt drive they are weird too, so a genuine Tamiya.

• Like 2

As a child the Hotshot was up there as THE buggy to have. I never got it. Got a Nikko Dictator instead (which I still have). 

When I this year wanted a 4wd for the winter one of the Hotshot -family buggies crossed my mind, but I did not want the hassle with the narrow chassis. The Thunder Dragon without ESC was dirt cheap, so it became my monoshock-alibi. It performs really well, is simple to maintain and did not cost a fortune. My tip is the Thunder Dragon and start saving for an Egress, if that is what you really want.

Allthough an Optima Mid or a Turbo Optima is the end solution for me (as a hommage to my Kyosho Burns,which I never run anymore) , but I cannot justify the costs for one with the current living costs here. 

You specifically said Re-Re but what about a TT-02B as best bang-for-the-buck Tamiya 4wd buggy? It's lots of fun to bash around, and then you can get a TT-02 rally setup which is also lots of fun, and then maybe even a TT-02 touring car with a nice body shell. Think of all the money you'll save on parts! B)

Thanks all. I'm not too hung up on the Hotshot and always preferred others bitd but it was the first Tamiya buggy I ever saw as a kid down the street had one and seeing as I've had pretty much all the others from the era (back in the early 2000's as shelf queens rather than runners, had nitro for that) I thought it was about time I had a look at one. Boomerang would probably be my first choice but not at what they're selling for!! Also like the Bigwig but have run one in the past and remember it being very noisy.

I also collect retro mountain bikes so if I can sell one of those I'll probably go Egress as there are a few about for around £500 but otherwise it'll be a Dragon or Terra.

Know what you mean @droidy but I need a nostalgia hit before going for performance.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Thanks all. I'm not too hung up on the Hotshot and always preferred others bitd but it was the first Tamiya buggy I ever saw as a kid down the street had one and seeing as I've had pretty much all the others from the era (back in the early 2000's as shelf queens rather than runners, had nitro for that) I thought it was about time I had a look at one. Boomerang would probably be my first choice but not at what they're selling for!! Also like the Bigwig but have run one in the past and remember it being very noisy.

I also collect retro mountain bikes so if I can sell one of those I'll probably go Egress as there are a few about for around £500 but otherwise it'll be a Dragon or Terra.

Know what you mean @droidy but I need a nostalgia hit before going for performance.

At the end of the day its totally down to personal choice the egress is a beautiful kit and really pleasant to build but is it as good performance as it is to build for what it costs probably not but if you've always wanted one then all that doesn't matter! My most successful rc racer was my actual first buggy I raced back in the day and that was the boomerang simply because I raced it religiously every Friday night and then all day Saturday in my local street with like minded friends and it was used to an inch of its life every weekend! Was it the best in the club? Definitely not but I loved it:wub: the terra scorcher although it's not the same chassis as the boomerang overall it's very similar in design (open bathtub chassis gear diffs cva shocks etc) which isn't a bad thing?

If it doesn't have to be Tamiya, I'd take any of the Optima or Ultima re res. 

Tough, fast, capable, holds big brushless power, lots of upgrades available, Kyosho quality plastics and machining. 

• Like 3