alvinlwh

Diff - to lock or not to lock?

Building my MTX-1 and noticed that it comes with diff lock option part in the bag. Now I know locking diff is a subjective personal preference but can I know the effect of:

1. Locking front diff? 

2. Locking back diff? 

3. Locking both diff? 

Thanks! 

I’ve tried lockers in the HPI Wheely King and in my 3s Clodbuster (two trucks sort of similar to your MTX-1) and always went back to open diffs. If you plan to run your MTX-1 at speed (vs as a crawler or trail runner) I’d suggest open diffs. 

Those big MT tires usually create massive grip and with lockers I got a lot more rollovers and also more breakages. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, smirk-racing said:

I’ve tried lockers in the HPI Wheely King and in my 3s Clodbuster (two trucks sort of similar to your MTX-1) and always went back to open diffs. If you plan to run your MTX-1 at speed (vs as a crawler or trail runner) I’d suggest open diffs. 

Those big MT tires usually create massive grip and with lockers I got a lot more rollovers and also more breakages. 

Thanks, useful information for this truck I am building now. 

Open might indeed lessen breakageS. Stiff grease would be a good middle ground

• Like 1

A little of the Tamiya diff putty (or any other brand of diff putty) can also work, and there are no leakage issues. Of course, removing diff putting can be painful...

• Like 1

I'll 3rd.  I think differential clay may offer something in the middle.  

I've done a sticky diff grease for Juggernaut 2 (the sticky thing was designed for T-Maxx). It doesn't work as well for big tires.  But I found that it's better than nothing. 

I inserted a Mack’s pillow soft silicone ear plug into my CC02’s rear diff.  I also locked the front.  Not sure if this helps you Alvin since I mostly do slow trailing with it.

11 minutes ago, Frog Jumper said:

Not sure if this helps you Alvin since I mostly do slow trailing with it.

Let me just check the instructions.... 

SaT2jVr.jpg

Looking at the bottom icons, and the planned 3S 10.5T that will be going in, I think open diff will be better for this vehicle. 😁

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I'm pretty sure I build mine open, and I ran it hard on gravel earlier this year.  If I was racing on that terrain then I'd want some putty in the rear for more cornering speed, but for bashing it was fine left open.  If you're on a grippy surface then a locked diff will have it upside down at every corner.

I always run my front diffs open on MTs, otherwise the cornering radius is impacted too much.  That said, the MTX-1 has a good steering angle and is a smaller truck, so it turns really well in tight spaces.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mad Ax said:

That said, the MTX-1 has a good steering angle and is a smaller truck, so it turns really well in tight spaces.

Looking at the parts, I believe it is possible to do 4WS on the rear axle? All it will need is the hubs, CVDs and a servo mount. It shouldn't even need the steering arms as aftermarket bits should fit? 

Although I don't think 4WS on it will be a good idea. 😁

I've just grabbed mine off the shelf, and I think you're right.  The axles are that modular design, so with the right parts it could be converted.

I don't think you'll need it, though.  Mine turns happily enough.

• Like 1

Unless you're crawling leave them open.  You'll get some pretty unpredictable handling at speed with locked diffs and big tires, especially on loose surfaces.  That rear end will go wherever it wants to, not where you want it to.  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, 87lc2 said:

Unless you're crawling leave them open.  You'll get some pretty unpredictable handling at speed with locked diffs and big tires, especially on loose surfaces.  That rear end will go wherever it wants to, not where you want it to.  

Now that you mentioned it, the fact that lockers are included could mean the truck can be built as a crawler, even though it is not mentioned in the instructions. 🤔

1 hour ago, alvinlwh said:

Now that you mentioned it, the fact that lockers are included could mean the truck can be built as a crawler, even though it is not mentioned in the instructions. 🤔

With different tires I'll bet it would crawl pretty well!

• Like 1

On 11/9/2022 at 12:28 PM, Frog Jumper said:

I inserted a Mack’s pillow soft silicone ear plug into my CC02’s rear diff.  I also locked the front.  Not sure if this helps you Alvin since I mostly do slow trailing with it.

I did the same a Kyosho busher and worked ok so far

• Like 1