junkmunki

Another nail in the coffin for model shops

I was out and about last week, and happened to drive down Fratton road in Portsmouth. In doing so, noticed that Fratton Model shop has closed down.

After looking online, i discovered it was earlier this year when it actually shut, after the owners could not find a buyer so they could retire.

I have been in there many times over the years to buy parts, and they were always agood source of vintage stuff. Although the last time i went in they had got rid of the most knowledgeable person there, they were always willing to chat and offer advice.

Isn't it sad that model shops are considered a thing of the past, and are closing as a result. As far as i know, there are only a couple of model shops left in the south of England.

J

• Sad 5

I was recently out to Singapore and was quite disappointed with the range available in the Tamiya dealer, no less. I mean they don't even have a single MF-01X in stock and none of the hopups I wanted. This is the main dealer, not just some small mum and pop shop. 

I spoke to my friend about this and he said that model shops are basically dead now as everyone goes online. Part of the problem is no shop can hold a huge stock inventory, pay for the overheads (staff, rent, bills, etc) and expect to compete with online stores where the running costs are cheaper. 

However this story/situation is somewhat more relevent over there as shipping costs when buying direct from Japan is far cheaper than to the UK (£8 vs £28 for the same order). Also, their import allowance is far larger than UK's. 

Personally, I find that I like going to physical shops when possible as I like picking up old stock that they are trying to shift to make space for new stock. Such clearance very rarely happens for online stores as space seems to be less of a problem for them. 

• Like 1

In the USA, small mom and pop hobby shops have disappeared by around 2010, I think..

Unless they were able to migrate to an elaborate online system in the early 2000's, they just could not get the footing.

The last time I set foot in a brick and mortar hobby shop was over a decade ago.. :wacko:

9 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

The last time I set foot in a brick and mortar hobby shop was over a decade ago.. :wacko:

Thats a real shame. There is something nice about being able to go in and see the stuff on display and chat to the staff.

J

• Like 5

The only one close to me is DMS and although they still have a shop in Watford it is for collection only. All their business is either online or click and collect. Great shame. I think there’s still one in Slough but it doesn’t do much if any Tamiya and one in Stevenage but not sure what they do?

• Like 1

I agree that they are mostly a thing of the past, but interestingly enough three pretty good RC-specific shops have popped up in my area in the past 2-3 years.  They all seem to be doing pretty well also.  Of course they never have what I want so I don't buy anything, but nice to see they're still around.  The biggest has an indoor track and I race there a couple times a month, I think shops with a track tend to do better these days.  

1 hour ago, junkmunki said:

Thats a real shame. There is something nice about being able to go in and see the stuff on display and chat to the staff.

J

In my youth that was all we had and seeing RC cars in person was super exciting.. but these days, honestly I'm more about finding the kit or parts ASAP and getting them to my pretend RC shop ASAP for me to see and touch it in person..  the commenting and discussions, I can have here with you guys.  :wub:

Most stores showcase non-Tamiya and RTR mostly.. does not really excite me any more unfortunately. 

Here in Denmark there are almost no shops stocking a decent assortment from Tamiya, not even online.

Over here, on the other side of the world, I have honestly never bought more from my LHS than before. I am a regular there, that hasn't changed. The guy that owns it is a friend of mine and has been for a long time. But in the last year or so, I have never seen so much tempting stock. He is buying whatever he can get his hands on, as much as he can buy from his suppliers, he even asked me "If you see anything cool from Tamiya, let me know, because I'll order it." This goes for kits or parts, because if it's in his shop, he can sell it, if it's not, he can't.

I was in there last night and there is kits spilling onto the floor. I put some model kitsets away on the shelves (where I could find room!) that he had bought from Australia because they "looked cool". 

I've just recently bought a Arrma Mojave and $450 in batteries, picked up a M07 last night and put a M08R on lay-by, and am looking at a Losi No Prep drag car next, and an Axial SCX10iii, if I can buy locally, I will. My last eBay purchase was months ago. 

• Like 8

That's awesome, @berman.   I'm not against small shops, I support local small businesses where I can.  If there was such a one stop shop near me, I would definitely consider them first.. unfortunately, usually I have more buying power as I do not need to follow supply channels.. and a bit lazy to stop in to pickup..? :wacko: :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Willy iine said:

That's awesome, @berman.   I'm not against small shops, I support local small businesses where I can.  If there was such a one stop shop near me, I would definitely consider them first.. unfortunately, usually I have more buying power as I do not need to follow supply channels.. and a bit lazy to stop in to pickup..? :wacko: :D

Oh I completely agree. I always try to buy locally, otherwise my LHS understands if I have to source elsewhere.  If we don't support them, they won't be there tomorrow, and with my aging memory, I'm always forgetting stuff, so it's good to have supplies just down the road.

Another thing to mention for me, is that shipping costs from USA and UK are through the roof, and wait times aren't that good either, so they play into my hand as well. Happy to pay a bit more if I can get it here.👍

• Like 3

I try to buy local myself but most LHS in my area are geared around Traxxas/Arrma with the odd Tamiya kit tossed in, no real Tamiya parts other than paint and bearings.

For me poor variety (and these shops being far from me) are why I usually get my parts online. Once I off-load my Slash I won't have much of a reason to make a trip.

• Like 1

My "Local" is TJD models near Dartford. I try and go there in person when i can, and use them over Modelsport and Wheelspin whenever i order online.

The shop is really good, quite big, and has nice staff.

#ShopLocalSupportLocal

4 hours ago, junkmunki said:

I was out and about last week, and happened to drive down Fratton road in Portsmouth. In doing so, noticed that Fratton Model shop has closed down.

I'm local too and noticed this a couple of weeks ago. Really sad, its been a feature of Fratton for as long as I can remember. There is / was the other model shop up the road towards North End that moved from around the corner (Milton Road I think) but its not the same even though they do have good stock and an enthusiastic owner. 

• Like 1

In my area is a shop in electronic parts that sells RC. The owner is big Tamiya fan and has a good selection of kits on the shelves. At the moment also static kits and paints are becoming available.  And only 10 minutes by bicycle. Magic.

The last LHS in my city is closing down as well. Didn't carry Tamiya, just the usual Traxxas RTRs, FWIW.

I am lucky I live in southern California with quit a bit of shops around me.  Pacific coast hobbies, Tonys hobbies, brookhurst hobbies, Burbank's house of hobbies, dxn provisions, some other smaller drift shops around.  

Only just got into this hobby recently but got my first RC kit in the model shop in Addlescombe. 

I see  there is Roxley models in Bookham not to far away from me and I think Brentford has a model shop which is kind of on my route to work (when I go to the office).

Has anyone been to Dorking modelshop recently in Surrey? I grew up there and spent hours buying tamiya/airfix kits at the time. I know it's still there, but only open 3 days a week. Not sure if they still sell RC gear though?

There's good RC shop opened in Hastings in the last few years, it's more racing orientated (no Tamiya) - but it's good to see new shops opening and surviving

I'm very lucky with the LHS situation in eastern Melbourne. We have Metro Hobbies (about 15 minutes away), where I'll try and buy the bulk of my Tamiya and Proboat spare parts, and RC Garage where I try and buy my Traxxas parts. I've bought dozens of cars from them over the years, and am on a first name basis with everyone at RC Garage (not Metro so much, the guy who knew me there left but they're all very helpful). Both shops (like @berman said) are pragmatic about the availability of parts online, and that sometimes it just makes more sense to order from overseas. There's a couple more shops around here as well, but I'm happy with Metro & RC Garage.

Also, I do occasionally take advantage of massive eBay Plus discounts to buy RCs from other bricks and mortar hobby shops interstate - Crazy Hobbies in NSW has some phenomenal eBay discounts, I've also used Hobbytech Toys in Perth for Tamiya items.

I think brick and mortar hobby shops that use online sales as well, have done fairly well over the last few years. 

• Like 1

On 11/9/2022 at 4:44 PM, Busdriver said:

The only one close to me is DMS and although they still have a shop in Watford it is for collection only. All their business is either online or click and collect. Great shame. I think there’s still one in Slough but it doesn’t do much if any Tamiya and one in Stevenage but not sure what they do?

Is dms collection only now? That's a shame, it wasn't much of a shop but I have popped in and bought stuff on a whim before.

There is a model shop in Dunstable too, but I'm not sure it's much good but they do have a few cars and boats.  Think the only other localish place is in stotfold but that is a fair old drive....

6 hours ago, DrGoatboy said:

Is dms collection only now?

Yes I’m afraid so. Strangely enough though the do stock more Tamiya stuff than they used to!! I use them mainly for CoreRC paints which are a fair bit cheaper than Tamiya and in my experience pretty good. 

• Thanks 1

DMS are more than just a modelshop, they are also a distributor for quite a few brands here in the UK (under XFactory) - they also run the club in Watford

I think they bring in the stuff by Avid, Exotek, JConcepts, Hiro Seiko, LC Racing and others.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Elbowloh said:

Only just got into this hobby recently but got my first RC kit in the model shop in Addlescombe. 

I see  there is Roxley models in Bookham not to far away from me and I think Brentford has a model shop which is kind of on my route to work (when I go to the office).

Has anyone been to Dorking modelshop recently in Surrey? I grew up there and spent hours buying tamiya/airfix kits at the time. I know it's still there, but only open 3 days a week. Not sure if they still sell RC gear though?

Roxley Models doesn't do anything Tamiya as far as I know, it's more Corgi die cast, trains and bus models, still a nice little shop though. Dorking model shop doesn't do RC either, always been static only, although I've not actually been in there for many years, I do go past every now and then. 

I used to go to Mick Charles Models in Ewell, but they have closed down due to retirement. 

There is a great model shop in Worthing called Sussex Model Centre if ever you're down that way, though they are closed on a Sunday. 

It's sad that most of this hobby is now online, but the high street is slowly dying in general, you just don't get the choice you used to get anymore. 

I dont have any LHS near enough to me in Surrey to visit in person. When looking for a seller online I at least try and find a site that has a real store in the hopes it helps the actual store stay open.

On 11/9/2022 at 3:52 PM, junkmunki said:

only a couple of model shops left in the south of England

I have found the following all who had good prices and great service :

https://www.snmstuff.co.uk/ - They have a shop in Farnborough. I have bought both RC and static kits and paints from them. They have also been extremely helpful when I have just phoned them up for advice.

Further afield I found

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/p/visit - With a real shop up in Leeds. I've also bought from them before and they have been helpful too.

https://wheelspinmodels.co.uk/p/1/ - In Staffordshire were extremely helpful answering lots of RC questions when I was getting back into the hobby and offered lots of advice about parts choices and compatability.

https://www.wonderlandmodels.com/ - Way up in Edinburgh. I got some good stuff from them.