tamiya_star

58710 Tamiya Hotshot II Blockhead Motors

5 hours ago, El Gecko said:

Wonder if it will look like @BubbaGump365's version or the Jun Watanabe livery from the video?

spacer.png

I’m a big Blockhead fan but the Hotshot is a bit of a miss for me. It needed something more unique rather than a lift and shift livery from the Wild One.

@BubbaGump365 take on it is far better IMO. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, A-Baum said:

It takes away everything that made the Hotshot II look so awesome.

That sums it up for me. I generally like the Blockhead reinterpretations of the older buggies over the goofy things like the Supreme Hornet but I think we need the original brought back before jumping to the Blockhead variant. I'd hazard a guess that original Hotshot 2 sales were not groundbreaking as there was plenty of competition in the market by its time. A lot of folks probably already had Boomerangs by that time, lol. Sales numbers or not, that doesn't take away from the original HS2's beautiful looks. Perhaps Tamiya guessed adding the Blockhead treatment will boost sales this time around right out of the gate. This is all purely guessing on my part.

• Like 1

Gonna say that's a nope from me, the original is such a great looking buggy this for me just isn't. Can't quite put my finger on it but it I don't think the Blockhead scheme works, would be nice if you had the option in the box of the original colour scheme and decals. Bit like Kyosho did with the Optima Mid re re that had the original and turbo decals in the box. 

I think part of the problem is that the Blockhead livery evokes a kind of 70's (and early 80's) era style which is a great fit for the Wild One which itself looks like a scale version of something you might actually see at the Mint or Baja. The Hotshot isn't any of those things.

• Like 1

I'm happy that the Hotshot 2 is bought back. I need some time to like the Blockhead-interpretation. I immideately liked tho WO when it came out - even though I liked the version of Silvertriple even more. His version simply looked like a thing for grownups and not a toy. 

@BubbaGump365's version is mint. I presume that the BH-version comes prepainted. That is a petty. It would have been nice to do your own Interpretation. The decals and other BH-stuff is nice. I even like the yellow shocks. 

For me it's rude that Tamiya releases the Hotshot 2 now. I need that money for an Optima Mid. 

• Like 1

If this was a Saturday afternoon football score rolling up on the vidi-printer, it would be something like:

Tamiya Design Department: 0 v @BubbaGump365 10 <TEN>

That Blockhead scheme looked amazing on the Wild One, it looked light and shiny and chromey, as does @BubbaGump365's HS interpretation. But IMO the new HSII looks dark and...the best word I can think of is 'cramped', sort of squished? The proportions and the livery just don't look right to me

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Juhunio said:

If this was a Saturday afternoon football score rolling up on the vidi-printer, it would be something like:

Tamiya Design Department: 0 v @BubbaGump365 10 <TEN>

That Blockhead scheme looked amazing on the Wild One, it looked light and shiny and chromey, as does @BubbaGump365's HS interpretation. But IMO the new HSII looks dark and...the best word I can think of is 'cramped', sort of squished? The proportions and the livery just don't look right to me

Agree about the wild one blockhead,it looks right but this doesnt work on this buggy.

On 11/10/2022 at 1:13 PM, Elbowloh said:

What's SRX?

I'm aware of the SR, what would the X element be?

The Type SR has dropped from £190 to £173 on Amazon. As a result of the SRX being announced?

5 hours ago, Juhunio said:

A lot of that has to do with the silver/chrome chassis, suspension, gearbox bits, etc. on those cars. Replace all of the black color except the bumper on @A-Baum's image with silver, and I bet it would be a lot closer to those "lighter, shinier" versions. Might even work better with the yellow shocks. I wonder if the silver dye/raw plastic is more expensive than black? Not sure why Tamiya would choose black for this version as it seemed like one of the highlights of the BHWO that really contributed to its unique look.

• Like 1

On 11/10/2022 at 3:42 PM, A-Baum said:

It takes away everything that made the Hotshot II look so awesome. This might as well be a Supershot.

Quite. Although the supershot still looks better than this. You can't go wrong with black. Burt Reynolds would have agreed with me :D. The yellow shocks would have looked fine with the black shell, especially if they'd added some black Egress wheels instead of the silver hotshot wheels.

• Like 1

Yes, I too wish that Tamiya re-issued the original Hotshot II, boxart included.  It was the one car in the hotshot chassis series that I never had the pleasure of owning 😞

I love it.

And I'm grateful stuff that looks like this is still being released in a world of jelly mould colour vomit tribal graphics.

It's more than a lazy re-defo, too, with some actual unique cosmetic parts.

You won't catch me complaining.

Seems like Tamiya can't win. Give people an up to date take on a classic, with trademark quirky styling, something people have cried out for, and it gets rejected (Super Avante)

Give them a twist on an old favourite, and make it more than a lazy recolour, to boot, and people don't like that, either. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 5

Delighted with this. Unpainted shell plus MCI stickers will surely exist for those wanting something closer to the original. But I am happy to see these new variation.

To those saying this is a bit lazy from a graphics perspective, Blockhead have a style, and this is pretty much it. For variations on that style, check their website for all kinds of additional stickers to help make it your own Blockhead. They encourage this, it’s the whole point. Kits like this one allow you the whole Blockhead thing in one box, which is great. But if it’s not working for you, go nuts on something else.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nowinaminute said:

Seems like Tamiya can't win. Give people an up to date take on a classic, with trademark quirky styling, something people have cried out for, and it gets rejected (Super Avante)

Give them a twist on an old favourite, and make it more than a lazy recolour, to boot, and people don't like that, either. 🤷‍♂️

I agree it feels like that sometimes. I just think it would have been received better had the original been re-released first. Divorced from the original HS2 and its legacy, I think its a fine looking buggy that puts a Traxxas-esque vehicle to shame in the looks department. Certainly more inspired than the Midnight Pumpkin "Black Edition".

I like it.  It is fairly cohesive to me.  The original Hotshot II was certainly a looker, but this is good as well.  It isn't entirely just a re-skin - they changed the cage around according to their press-release:

Key NEW features:

• Polycarbonate body of the Hotshot II is pre-cut and pre-painted in brilliant blue. (Cutlines and marks to make holes added from the original Hotshot II (Item 58062) body.) • New roll cage positioned higher to ensure raised driver position for more realism. Following this matter, upper frame is also updated.

https://www.tamiyausa.com/blog/new-product-announcement-hot-shot-ii-blockhead-motors/

https://youtu.be/EJ_4X3tyvTg

I hear the desire to get hold of the red CVAs; I find it ironic that there are a half dozen models either for sale or recently for sale that used the Yellow CVAs, but Tamiyausa has those parts as either 'out of stock' or discontinued...  nevermind the red ones.

41 minutes ago, Saito2 said:

I agree it feels like that sometimes. I just think it would have been received better had the original been re-released first. Divorced from the original HS2 and its legacy, I think its a fine looking buggy that puts a Traxxas-esque vehicle to shame in the looks department. Certainly more inspired than the Midnight Pumpkin "Black Edition".

Agreed. This new one looks good in its own right, and I actually prefer the higher roofline - the squashed looking roof was always my least favourite part of the HotShot family's looks.

I think people are complaining just because lots of people would have loved, and/or have been waiting for, a re-release that's basically a reproduction of the original, as the HotShot and Super HotShot/SuperShot re-releases were.

Some people who remember the originals from back in the day would prefer a reproduction of that original even if the new one looks better! 

Here's hoping they release both in the fullness of time! :)

On the plus side it means the value of our originals stays high ☺️

22 hours ago, AJB123 said:

Agreed. This new one looks good in its own right, and I actually prefer the higher roofline - the squashed looking roof was always my least favourite part of the HotShot family's looks.

I think people are complaining just because lots of people would have loved, and/or have been waiting for, a re-release that's basically a reproduction of the original, as the HotShot and Super HotShot/SuperShot re-releases were.

Some people who remember the originals from back in the day would prefer a reproduction of that original even if the new one looks better! 

Here's hoping they release both in the fullness of time! :)

The high roofline is part of what is putting me off. Not knowing it had been altered, I was looking at the photo of it and thinking 'Something doesn't look quite right, but I can't put my finger on it'. I'm really surprised they went to the effort of altering it really.  They go to the effort of designing a new roll cage on the hotshot for a re-release, which is essentially a cosmetic item, but they won't update the Clod Buster variants with TXT-1 wheels / adapters / stub axles, to improve the reliability and handling, and they already have the bits in the parts bin. There's logic in there somewhere I'm sure, I just can't see where...

It is however nice to see a re-release of a model that has not been previously re-released. I wonder if Team Bluegroove are already ramping up production of their clear HS II body kits.

I think it would have been nicer and more looking like the WO if the chassis had silver plastic. The bright blue is not so sparkling with all that black plastic. I also have to say that I love the squashed roofline of the original Hotshot. I did from the day I first saw it in the Leker & Hobby-catalogue as a child

That said I love the fact that the Hotshot 2 is back and I think this version is a nice Interpretation of it - even with the higher roofline.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, kontemax said:

I'm the only one that I don't like it, specially the roof?

Max

You’re not alone. I’d have preferred red parts and a clear body… and hopefully the roll cage and top chassis box is interchangeable with the original/HS/SHS rere.

The higher roll cage is growing on me though.I really went to take a look under the hood and see an unboxing to check the parts out in more detail.

I won’t be buying one.

• Like 1