BuggyDad

What first step into crawler world?

Well, would you Adam and Eve it, it looks like they found another one round the back. So I've bought that as well. Expensive, this Black Friday business. 

There are vouchers for 10%(ish) off with Injora too for wheels, bumpers etc. 

I'm coming to the conclusion that for one shell I will go for a Kamtec Defender front half and an Injora frame on the back. Saves a lot of money compared with the price of most crawler bodies, it seems. Not sure yet about the second one, maybe another Kamtec lexan Baja Bug. Although I'd quite like an '80s Hilux or Bronco. Don't feel the love for modern trucks or the 60s ones. 

6 hours ago, SupraChrgd82 said:

Brilliant choice!  That’s a fantastic platform.  Drivetrain and suspension are buttery smooth and the 12.3” wheelbase makes it very stable.  Aftermarket support is excellent.  There will be no disappointments. 

Great to hear - thanks! 

Congrats on the purchase, can't really go wrong with an Element! 

Kudos for buying a kit as well, I'm glad Element still offers them as for me the build is 1/2 the fun. It's becoming a lost art!  

Phew. I've done my shopping. There was a lot of it. I am a little scared to add up the costs...

There may be a whopper of a photo in a week or two in the "the postman..." thread. 

Starting parts list looks like:

Enduro Builders Kit 2 

Injora beadlock aluminium wheels and these tyres:

https://www.injora.com/products/4pcs-1-9-120-42mm-rubber-tires-wheel-tyres-for-1-10-rc-rock-crawler

Hobbywing 1080 ESC

Injora also for 35kg servo, 5 slot 10t 550 motor, front bumper.

All the above is x2. My son's Christmas present and a second for dad. 

Also various magnetic mounts and a half back cage. And a tiny skateboard. For bodies we're going to try to combine a Kamtec Defender cab with the Injora cage, then use a cheap as chips jeep SUV body on the other one. 

No rear bumpers at the mo. I might buy them from Injora to match the fronts if there's something else I want from them and it gets me to free postage, but they also need bumper mounts which I believe don't come in the kit. 

• Like 3

20 hours ago, BuggyDad said:

Phew. I've done my shopping. There was a lot of it. I am a little scared to add up the costs...

There may be a whopper of a photo in a week or two in the "the postman..." thread. 

Starting parts list looks like:

Enduro Builders Kit 2 

Injora beadlock aluminium wheels and these tyres:

https://www.injora.com/products/4pcs-1-9-120-42mm-rubber-tires-wheel-tyres-for-1-10-rc-rock-crawler

Hobbywing 1080 ESC

Injora also for 35kg servo, 5 slot 10t 550 motor, front bumper.

All the above is x2. My son's Christmas present and a second for dad. 

Also various magnetic mounts and a half back cage. And a tiny skateboard. For bodies we're going to try to combine a Kamtec Defender cab with the Injora cage, then use a cheap as chips jeep SUV body on the other one. 

No rear bumpers at the mo. I might buy them from Injora to match the fronts if there's something else I want from them and it gets me to free postage, but they also need bumper mounts which I believe don't come in the kit. 

If you go in, you might as well go all in! 

4 hours ago, Nikko85 said:

If you go in, you might as well go all in! 

That is a danger with this hobby isn't it... 

• Haha 2

Well, my shopping is all in bar body shells. 

The Injora beadlock wheels are somewhere I was taking a bit of a stab in the dark. So I assembled one, and I have to say it went together like a Swiss watch. So fingers crossed the others will. I have nothing to compare it to, mind, having never owned (or even laid my hands on) another crawler.

2022-12-04_08-36-25

36 bolts/wheel = 144/truck. Overkill, surely? In fact, why's it got a separate bead lock ring at all when the two halves of a wheel can be brought together on assembly? Just for show? 

The tyre compound is soft compared with any buggy/rally tyres I have. I would imagine it'll grip like **** to a blanket. But again, this is a crawler first timer talking. 

Wheel seems quite weighty so I thought I'd pop it on the scales. Weight of a wheel all up is 250g. 

Would you threadlock any of these bolts? I haven't, and I haven't done any up very tight either. I'm a bit uneasy on threadlock on anything that small. 

Beadlocks are 'scale', in a 1:1 they stop the bead slipping on a low pressure crawler tyre. The same theory holds here, though there's no air. You could glue them but the beadlock allows you to take them off to dry the foams out if they get a soaking.

47 minutes ago, Badcrumble said:

Beadlocks are 'scale', in a 1:1 they stop the bead slipping on a low pressure crawler tyre. The same theory holds here, though there's no air. You could glue them but the beadlock allows you to take them off to dry the foams out if they get a soaking.

What I mean is that in this case the 24 hole ring can be fitted to the wheel outer half before the wheel is assembled with the tyre. Then just 6 bolts to bring together the two halves to lock the beads and vice versa.  So outer half of the wheel could've been made as one piece rather than two without affecting their function. 

It's not a complaint - I like the look - just slightly surprising that they all seem to be like this given it must add a lot to manufacture. 

fwiw. (and while I appreciate Vanquish Products are not as easy to get hold of in the UK as some other brands), but to save yourself a lot of grief and wishful thinking,  if you want the 'best' 1/10 scale chassis as a self-assembly kit and then choose your own body, wheels & tyres, electronics etc. as you see fit, then just get the Vanquish VS4-10 chassis kit bundle which they are doing for $279.99 USD at the moment. It it beautifully engineered to the point it makes everything else look crap, and performs better than anything else other than a dedicated comp-crawler.

https://www.vanquishproducts.com/vs4-10-builders-bundle-straight-axle/

2 cents - so all you need now is 27,997 more cents to get one!

Jenny x

47 minutes ago, JennyMo said:

fwiw. (and while I appreciate Vanquish Products are not as easy to get hold of in the UK as some other brands), but to save yourself a lot of grief and wishful thinking,  if you want the 'best' 1/10 scale chassis as a self-assembly kit and then choose your own body, wheels & tyres, electronics etc. as you see fit, then just get the Vanquish VS4-10 chassis kit bundle which they are doing for $279.99 USD at the moment. It it beautifully engineered to the point it makes everything else look crap, and performs better than anything else other than a dedicated comp-crawler.

https://www.vanquishproducts.com/vs4-10-builders-bundle-straight-axle/

2 cents - so all you need now is 27,997 more cents to get one!

Jenny x

Wow. That sounds like an amazing deal. Thank you. However, I've already got the Element Enduro(s) now so will stick with them. To be quite honest I suspect I am already spoiling us with something which is more truck than we will appreciate. 

50 minutes ago, BuggyDad said:

Wow. That sounds like an amazing deal. Thank you. However, I've already got the Element Enduro(s) now so will stick with them. To be quite honest I suspect I am already spoiling us with something which is more truck than we will appreciate. 

Don't worry, the Element is also a great platform with a good number of aftermarket upgrade options too - this was more for anyone else reading and contemplating something similar... as I say, while I don't believe there is a UK distributor for Vanquish, it's certainly possible to get them to the UK, and the VS4-10 chassis, and particularly the new VFD Twin transmission is a work of art, while the whole platform is very strong, reliable and versatile. I have two vehicles built around these already, and wouldn't hesitate to build another if trail running and scale crawling was my goal.

Jx

27 minutes ago, Badcrumble said:

Apologies @BuggyDad, I shouldn't try to read and respond late at night!

😜

And I shouldn't stay up late painting body shells! 

6 hours ago, JennyMo said:

Don't worry, the Element is also a great platform with a good number of aftermarket upgrade options too - this was more for anyone else reading and contemplating something similar... as I say, while I don't believe there is a UK distributor for Vanquish, it's certainly possible to get them to the UK, and the VS4-10 chassis, and particularly the new VFD Twin transmission is a work of art, while the whole platform is very strong, reliable and versatile. I have two vehicles built around these already, and wouldn't hesitate to build another if trail running and scale crawling was my goal.

Jx

The whole thing looks like a work of art. The bodies too. Killer deal especially for someone wanting that step up in quality. And they do say they ship worldwide, UK buyers just need to factor in import duty and vat on top, I guess. Its not for me though - I'm already in deeper than I thought I was going! 

• Like 1