toyolien

TT-02D - Why can't I increase the ground clearance ??

Just bought a TT-02d for my daugter for Christmas and was thinking of upping the clearance so she can use it as a mild rally car. However, the manual states that you can't do that on the TT-02d. I've looked at the manuals for the 'D' and the normal TT-02, and I can't see a difference, or the reason why Tamiya said not to. I know the A parts are grey reinforced instead of normal black, but the mouldings look exactly the same. What am I missing?

Here's the images from the TT-02d manual, then the normal TT-02.

mR979jH.jpg

• Like 1

Is it something to do with the dampers? Think the drift ones came with CVAs and the standard TT02 them spring holder things.

Do the dampers incorporate internal spacers in the CVA to set ride height?

23 minutes ago, Superluminal said:

Is it something to do with the dampers? Think the drift ones came with CVAs and the standard TT02 them spring holder things.

Do the dampers incorporate internal spacers in the CVA to set ride height?

Aah good point. The D kit comes with 50mm cva's and I've bought some 55mm's. Maybe that is the reason

Thanks for that. I'll check tonight. 

• Like 1

@Superluminal

Just looked at the TT-02R manual. This shows two different ride heights, and has the same dampers as the TT-02D, so I don't think it's anything to do with the dampers. Seems the ride height settings don't require longer dampers. It just raises or lowers the wheel axles.

Back to the drawing board.

I think I've found the reason, but it doesn't make sense. So, it seems that the front hubs on the TT-02 and TT-02d are in the lower ride height position, but the rears are different. The TT-02 has them in the low ride height but the TT-02d has the rears in the high ground clearance, so opposite to the fronts. Any ides why this would be? Have I read it wrong?

This is from the TT-02D manual. Here you can see (if i'm not mistaken) the fronts in the low ride height position, and the rear in the high. Am I reading this right?

zRF1D1m.jpg

hello

both look low on tt02d to me.

on youtube theres a how to build rally tt02 names mark bryan,i got 25mm ground clearance but standard tt02.  

It's probably just the angle. Here's a better pic showing that the rears are definitely in the high clearance setting in the manual:

21Qlb8i.jpg

Seems odd. Anyone else built a TT-02d and noticed the difference in clearance between the front and rear hubs in the manual.

I actually modified a TT-02 I built for my cousin. I set it up for rally too. I cut the droop stoppers to allow more ride height and installed 60mm shocks.

gDs8qLHh.jpg

9zSfibdh.jpg

DYhSBkkh.jpg

LbK23JUh.jpg

The TT-02D is sold as a drift car, hence the difference in ride height front and rear making it easier to break into a drift. The difference in ride height front to rear, to my knowledge, increases steering. I am quite certain it is possible to adjust the ride height in the front to match rear ride height despite the Tamiya warning in the manual.

Hope it make sense? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GreatDane said:

The TT-02D is sold as a drift car, hence the difference in ride height front and rear making it easier to break into a drift. The difference in ride height front to rear, to my knowledge, increases steering. I am quite certain it is possible to adjust the ride height in the front to match rear ride height despite the Tamiya warning in the manual.

Hope it make sense? 

Thank you. That was also my conclusion. I've since swapped the front to the higher clearance position and can confirm it all works fine. Exactly the same as if it were a regular TT-02. I also wonder why Tamiya says it can't be done.