Mrowka

Christmas buggy help

My little man (age 8) wants another buggy for Chirstmas. He has built a much-loved Super Sand Dragon, and really has his little heart set on an Optima Mid, which is probably a bit complicated and spendy for him at this stage. 

Any suggestions? Since he has a 2WD, I'd like to get him a 4WD if possible, and a kit so he has something that he can build. Something reasonably tough and with good parts availability. Doesn't have to be Tamiya or Kyosho. 

I am open to ideas. I live in the States, for whatever that's worth.

One of the Thunder Shot series would get my vote over a TT-02B, and you can pick them up for not very much more.

Fire Dragon, with double front shocks, is well worth a look.

• Like 1

My vote goes to the Plasma Edge II GunMetal TT02B kit. Goes for less than the Super Storm Dragon here in Europe... € 102 for the TT02B against €122 for the SSD. Has ESC and oil shocks, just needs bearings, easy to build but still different enough to be interesting to him and plenty of spares will be around for ages, so driving on the edge won't make your stomach and wallet hurt :)

• Like 1

I would also vote for something on the Thunder Shot platform. More capable off-road than many modern offerings, with good spares availability thanks to all the re-releases, and an interesting but not overly difficult build. The A5 part is the only real weak spot, but just fit a front brace at the outset and that'll sort it. 

Super *Storm* Dragon?  All my searches for a sand dragon came up at storm dragon. :) Anyway, I would add a torque tuned or sport tuned motor to the present.  As a kid in the 80's, when I went from my Hornet (same chassis as storm Dragon) to a boomerang 4wd, I distinctly remember noticing that it was slower.  Looking at Tamiyabase.com for the ratios, The Thundershot seems to have a lower ratio/higher top speed.  What is the opinion here?  I haven't driven 4wd beyond that boomerang back in the day.

The Hornet is really light.  I have one running bearings and a silver can and it's proper sprightly.

If going for a Thunder Dragon/Thunder Shot/Fire Dragon/Saint Dragon then a 13T steel pinion (an RW racing RW3200 series is ideal) is a very good idea even with the standard silver can as the gearing is so tall.  Adding a better brushed motor can be done afterwards, and may depend on the ESC you get with the kit.  If you get a Carson ESC you could go up to a Super Stock motor for the greatest speed increase.

Chucking in a suggestion of the GF-01 chassis (Comical Avante, Comical Hotshot if he wants buggy looks). Funny saying it, but perhaps too childish for your eight year old 😂.

Anyway, my take is that these represent a very different feel from the Suoer Dragon in terms of looks, height and abilities. But still buggies, and still super fun. You can scoot these round a car park against the super dragon, or take them for something like proper off roading (great for a walk in the countryside).

Have fun!

1 hour ago, Pablo68 said:

DT-02 can be had for cheap and they are pretty good.

But that is not 4WD which OP wanted. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, alvinlwh said:

But that is not 4WD which OP wanted. 

Oh ******. I don't read good.

1 hour ago, Willy iine said:

SandViper then?

If it doesn't need to be 4WD, this is a great suggestion. Strong and capable, a significant step up from his current ride, with good spares and hop-up availability, with styling not dissimilar to the Optima Mid, it is sure to bring a smile to his face come Christmas.