Kowalski86

Best and Worst Tamiya

I don’t have enough experiences with Tamiya kits (built only 2 so far). Hopefully I can chime in soon!

8 hours ago, BuggyDad said:

Me too. It's one of my 80s itches to scratch, although I probably won't. 

But do I read correctly that this is on preorder for 2023? Is it a new re re release? 

Didn't help, I saw an old Radio Race Car with a Brat on a MB chassis, sporting a 70's metal flake paint job...😍

2022-11-17_01-31-42

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Wooders28 said:

Didn't help, I saw an old Radio Race Car with a Brat on a MB chassis, sporting a 70's metal flake paint job...😍

2022-11-17_01-31-42

Some say, "Toy's, they're not! Which would suggest that this *magazine is targeting an adult market, however when I asked my newsagents for an adult magazine, I was given something else entirely???... 

*What is this magazine? Thing?, It looks like the colour of 1000 flowers stuck to the skin of 100 trees. 

In 10 years time, the whole world has to perform a massive tree culling exercise as they begin to dominate the earth's surface while people are staring at instafix. 

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, Kowalski86 said:

Point taken on the CW01, for what its worth I view my Grasshopper as more in line with neat old toys than "hobby grade", more in line with a Nikko FS10 than an RC10.

Oh the Nikko F10 was nicer than a GH! 540, zero camber change on front suspension and full ESC. 

10 minutes ago, Nikko85 said:

Oh the Nikko F10 was nicer than a GH! 540, zero camber change on front suspension and full ESC. 

That is true, F10s had better suspension, a circuit board ESC but still an ESC, some had bigger motors, you could very well argue that they were technically early RTR RCs since they edged so close to the GH.
I actually had a few F10s but sold them for a GH, easier to replace the electronics.

• Like 1

To answer the OP's question, to me the best Tamiyas are TB03 and TA05 onroad chassis and the worst are DT02 and DF03 buggies.

The TA05 and TB03 bring a lot of TRF DNA at a budget price.  I appreciate the materials and parts included -- glass-filled nylon plastics, machine screws, ball bearings, turnbuckles, oil dampers, etc. are in the box along with really nice Autobacs/Super GT body shells.  Driving one these vs. a basic TT01 or TT02, there's no comparison even in the street.

The DT02 and DF03 just don't have the materials, parts, durability, or competitiveness to warrant attention.  I actually think going backwards to a DT01 and DF01 are better choices, or just jumping to another brand for off-road buggies.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, speedy_w_beans said:

To answer the OP's question, to me the best Tamiyas are TB03 and TA05 onroad chassis and the worst are DT02 and DF03 buggies.

The TA05 and TB03 bring a lot of TRF DNA at a budget price.  I appreciate the materials and parts included -- glass-filled nylon plastics, machine screws, ball bearings, turnbuckles, oil dampers, etc. are in the box along with really nice Autobacs/Super GT body shells.  Driving one these vs. a basic TT01 or TT02, there's no comparison even in the street.

The DT02 and DF03 just don't have the materials, parts, durability, or competitiveness to warrant attention.  I actually think going backwards to a DT01 and DF01 are better choices, or just jumping to another brand for off-road buggies.

Do they still make either of those chassis? I can't seem to find any new examples.
I think the DT02 could be a decent CHEAP chassis, and I can't think of any current buggys with the look of a Holiday Buggy. I do have a hard time justifying the $200 Nissan Titan given the countless other 2WD stadium/SCT trucks in that price range, even if it comes with bearings/oil dampers.

2 hours ago, wolfdogstinkus said:

Some say, "Toy's, they're not! Which would suggest that this *magazine is targeting an adult market, however when I asked my newsagents for an adult magazine, I was given something else entirely???... 

*What is this magazine? Thing?, It looks like the colour of 1000 flowers stuck to the skin of 100 trees. 

In 10 years time, the whole world has to perform a massive tree culling exercise as they begin to dominate the earth's surface while people are staring at instafix. 

Let's add some more temptation to those brat desires...

GlitterBrat2.jpg

• Like 3

Best? Whichever one I’m playing with, building, or working on!

Worst has got to be the poor Jug. Really good looking shelfer. Too expensive, not scale enough, and lacks the extreme detail of a good model, so it’s Tamiya’s worst overall release, winning worst RC and worst static model with one kit.

I've never owned a Tamiya kit that has failed to give me pleasure.

So for me, the best are the ones I've chosen to buy because I like them the most.

The worst are the ones I've chosen not to buy because I like them the least.

I'm glad there's at least one thing in my life that's this simple.

• Like 4

Obviously the Boomerang is the best Tamiya have ever made. Just needs bearings and steel pinion and its good to go. It can handle faster motors, but for where wecrun ours the silvercan is ideal. Quirky handling adds to the fun, and they are pretty robust (not having broken anything, ever but haven't run 5S). Actually, I think of the Hotshot, Thundershot and DF01 cars as all basically the same, so all of them. But especially the Boomerang as the pinnacle of RC cars.

The TA07 (or really any TA/TB, but maybe not TA06) deserves honourable mention here too. Out of the box they are decent and in the right hands can keep up with the competitors carbon cars, but you can spend as much as you want on hop ups as you will end up with a TRF-equivalent, unlike others where no matter what you do they won't ever be great.

Worst, hands down, is the Lunchbox. I get its quirky and silly and....its just no fun to drive. I probably got it after getting cars that can steer and stuff, so found it so bad. A suspension mount broke and I just haven't bothered fixing it. Should though, as it ,eans we can run 5 at a time if I do.

• Like 1

I don't want to get all post-modern here but....

Best: What do we actually mean by best?

Worst: Same question.....having said that, what immediately pops into mind is the OG Monster Beetle. In particular the hex drive cups and shafts. Absolute **** they were, flogged out in no time at all. Not sure at all what they were thinking at Tamiya when they knocked that one up. It's looks were inspired, it looked awesome. And it was fun to drive, when it worked, which wasn't often. So many inherent problems in that design from putting big wheels and a heavy body on the not very changed Frog chassis.

I have the re-re (quite modiefied) by the way cause I loved that car regardless.

I also think that the Hornet is simultaneously the best and worst Tamiya. It exists in both states at the same time....

43 minutes ago, Pablo68 said:

I don't want to get all post-modern here but....

Best: What do we actually mean by best?

Worst: Same question.....having said that, what immediately pops into mind is the OG Monster Beetle. In particular the hex drive cups and shafts. Absolute **** they were, flogged out in no time at all. Not sure at all what they were thinking at Tamiya when they knocked that one up. It's looks were inspired, it looked awesome. And it was fun to drive, when it worked, which wasn't often. So many inherent problems in that design from putting big wheels and a heavy body on the not very changed Frog chassis.

I have the re-re (quite modiefied) by the way cause I loved that car regardless.

I also think that the Hornet is simultaneously the best and worst Tamiya. It exists in both states at the same time....

By the "best" I mean the most fun Tamiya RC overall, be it to drive or maintain.

• Like 1

I am willing to bet some will have to change their rankings as new Tamiya kits are starting to trickle out like the TT02B-R at the bottom of my comment. Also there is a major Show in Japan and on Monday the 21st i suspect there will be a ton of announcements.

Best to me so far?

Dt02 specifically the sand viper. Solid kit that can be built into a fantastic machine using all stock parts except a few items to make the suspension handle better like:

Parts below from my backwards engineered dt02 ms aluminum dampers (perfectly mimic dt02 ms dampers) : note dt02 MS front spring is the same as the sand viper. Tamiya support verified.

1. Red rear springs from the dt02 spring kit. Same spring as DT02 MS just no longer available in white. Tamiya support verified.

2. TRF 3 hole piston in the front damper 53573 40w associated oil

3. 1 hole black piston (included in the kit) with shim ( 9804198  ) to get rid of piston wobble in the rear damper. 40w associated oil

4. 5mm Ball joints for the dampers and also the front brace.

5. 3x35mm thread shaft ( 9804561 ) to make a front brace. this part is actually a stock part from the Nissan titan dt02

6. shims for the wheels

7. TRF damper shaft guide 4 pack part #84292.  Why?  Removing the bottom o ring and adding one of these makes it butter smooth. Without it there is shaft wobble in the damper and can cause it to stick sometimes.

2nd place is DT03 only because more money needs to be spent to get it par with the DT02.

about 50ish extra dollars for everything. The above will mimic the aluminum dampers that originally came with the MS kit. and if one wants to get the aluminum dampers they will have to use stock front springs and red rear springs and the springs included on the new aluminum dampers are wrong for a 2wd.

Worst car would be the TT02B NON MS Version simply because of all the mods that are needed to get it to be a decent buggy.  MS version just needs aluminum dampers. Non MS version however needs aluminum dampers. DF03 wheels if you like but you can use the stock wheels (you cant get the RED MS wheels but they are the same dimensions). K series dual blocks front and rear. A ridiculous amount of shims for the wheels. 5mm ball joints for dampers.  That's just to be able to get better clearance with the taller tires and better suspension. I also recommend using only 2 orings inside the rear dampers and zero in the front in order to be able to pass the drop test. This is the only buggy  that NEEDS the aluminum dampers because the fronts are just longer. I still feel it needs the carbon damper stay kit F/R, the yeah racing steering upgrade, and the better hard chassis.  TT02B is a money pit for sure.

OMG GOOD news I just found out that there will be a TT02B-R Chassis kit.

https://www.tamiyausa.com/shop/-road-buggies/rc-tt-02br-chassis-kit/tt-02b/

That will be the kit you should hold out for. If I knew what I know now I would have waited. Hopefully this will save some the headache. as it covers everything i have complaints about and then some including the hard chassis.

My list will probably change once I get the TD2

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, danimaldaisy said:

I am willing to bet some will have to change their rankings as new Tamiya kits are starting to trickle out like the TT02B-R at the bottom of my comment. Also there is a major Show in Japan and on Monday the 21st i suspect there will be a ton of announcements.

Best to me so far?

Dt02. Solid kit that can be built into a fantastic machine...

I have a quick question on the DT-02, while I was working on the friction shocks on mine I dropped the copper tubes that go around the bottom screws on the front shocks and lost them, will this cause any problems?

Sooner or later Ill be going with oil filled dampers so hopefully I won't need them.

34 minutes ago, Kowalski86 said:

I dropped the copper tubes that go around the bottom screws on the front shocks and lost them, will this cause any problems?

It will slop around a bit more, have more friction (won't help the shocks <_<) and wear out over time but work just fine.

35 minutes ago, droidy said:

It will slop around a bit more, have more friction (won't help the shocks <_<) and wear out over time but work just fine.

To save time hunting down tiny little parts I might just grab some oil dampers early.

2 hours ago, Kowalski86 said:

I have a quick question on the DT-02, while I was working on the friction shocks on mine I dropped the copper tubes that go around the bottom screws on the front shocks and lost them, will this cause any problems?

Sooner or later Ill be going with oil filled dampers so hopefully I won't need them.

Hi,

It will flop a lot more

https://www.tamiyausa.com/shop/7-digit-spare-parts/rc-4x6mm-brass-pipe-58470/

do a search for "tamiya 9805334"

and if your lucky you might still have an extra one in the box

52 minutes ago, Kowalski86 said:

To save time hunting down tiny little parts I might just grab some oil dampers early.

the oil dampers do not come with your missing part

Interesting to see the CW01 and DT02 in a few best and worst lists!

Only bad cars to me are ones that break soon out the box or are just broken or flawed as to need expensive fixes. A car should run out the box.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kowalski86 said:

so you cant directly get the replacement part because it is out of stock.  However the brass parts are in this kit and its the same price as the out of stock parts

https://www.tamiyausa.com/shop/performance-parts/jr-plastic-double-rollers-3/

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, danimaldaisy said:

so you cant directly get the replacement part.  However the brass parts are in this kit and its the same price as the out of stock parts

https://www.tamiyausa.com/shop/performance-parts/jr-plastic-double-rollers-3/

Thanks for linking that, not only does that have what I need but I also found a steel 17T pinion thats supposed to fit DT02s.

Threads like this give so much insight to so many models!

My best would be one that no-one has mentioned yet, the one I had as a kid and still have vivid memories of driving it, 35 years later... The Fox! It was the one I always wanted, saved up for for ages, and the first one I got when I got back into RCs a couple of years ago. I mean, just look at it... :D yes it's different, unique, and not easy to work on, but it looks great and drives pretty well too!

The worst? All the tamiyas I didn't get to play with yet :P

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nikko85 said:

Interesting to see the CW01 and DT02 in a few best and worst lists!

Only bad cars to me are ones that break soon out the box or are just broken or flawed as to need expensive fixes. A car should run out the box.

I have a hard time seeing what could possibly make a "bad", unless if you're trying to race it or holding it up to modern monster truck standards.

What Tamiyas...or really any RC fits your "worst"? Just so I know what to avoid. The only RC I've had break immediately was a WPL, stripped a gear somewhere, I had no desire to upgrade it.

46 minutes ago, foz75 said:

Threads like this give so much insight to so many models!

My best would be one that no-one has mentioned yet, the one I had as a kid and still have vivid memories of driving it, 35 years later... The Fox! It was the one I always wanted, saved up for for ages, and the first one I got when I got back into RCs a couple of years ago. I mean, just look at it... :D yes it's different, unique, and not easy to work on, but it looks great and drives pretty well too!

The worst? All the tamiyas I didn't get to play with yet :P

I like that the Fox retains some of the realism of early Tamiyas, before their buggy designs became more anime-mech looking.

On 11/18/2022 at 1:46 AM, speedy_w_beans said:

I wanted to write exactly the same, maybe I'd add DB01 buggy on the list of the best for the same reason.

In case of worst, I wanted to write DF03Ra. DF03 wasn't good as a buggy, it was even worse as a touring car.

• Like 1