Sign in to follow this  
sirandy

Xmas Rally Car for Kiddo - TT-02S

Hey All,

Been man, many years since I last posted on here... back then was living in Dubai, but am now based in the UK. My 7-yr old has been driving a Traxxas TRX-4 since he was around 4 years old, and he loves it. I have nejoyed having him use it as it is as tough as nails, can be slowed down with the phone app, and above all, its waterproof! That said, I replaced all the bearings a year ago, as they were rusted solid! 

But now, he has got to the age wher SPEEEEEEED (in a Clarkson tone) is what he is looking for. I need something that could be rally or on-road, but faster than a crawler, while maintaining some strength and having loads of spare available. I had though of the MF-01x, but it is a little small, when next to the TRX-4 and I think he will see it as a 'downgrade'. I had thought of the XV-01 and if it weren't for the battery tray, it would have been my first choice. The packs I have are all 6000mah packs, a little bulky and some have power cables out the top, some out the side. Its going to be a problem. 

Soooo, after some research, I will go with the TT-02S. Its got easily modded suspension, the shocks are oil filled, it has bearings. The only NOW mods it really needs is the Yeah Racing steering, and perhaps ally prop shaft and diff cups. Later on I will get some proper CV type driveshafts. I will need a body set, most likely a Subaru (easier paintjob than the Delta Integrale or the Audi Quattro.....

The question is this... I need to buy everything asap so I can build it for him before Xmas (due to travelling for xmas, it has to be RTR on the big day!) so I was thinking about supporting the guys who sponsor the site, but none of them have stock of all I need. Where do all the UK buyers get most of their stuff and are there any Black Friday deals to be had or is BF just hype for the same prices?

Appreciate any advice and guidance...

Andy

• Like 1

I hear you on the bearings, any used "waterproof" RC that I've owned has had rust on the very not waterproof metal. You could look up Tonys Tamiyas on ebay for a body.

• Like 1

You should be able to get everything you need here: https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/tamiya-tt-02-type-s-chassis-387949

Ive always found them to be reliable

Edit - the only steering upgrade that is essential is a better servo saver, the yeah racing stuff is nice but not essential. Front universal driveshafts would be a better upgrade.

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/schumacher-kimbrough-servo-saver-medium-1331026

Edit 2 - if your really rushing the KillerBody prepainted shells are excellent (though a touch pricey) E.G https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/killerbody-subaru-impreza-wrc-2007-painted-blue-body-kit-1340516

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice guys. I might leave the steering, and get the driveshafts instead as ou recommend.

As far as body's go, that one looks very cool, but I know it won't be long before thats trashed, so might start with an El Cheapo and see how long it takes before its in pieces. I have done thousands of bodies before, so painting and decalling is not a struggle for me.

Will keep an eye out for sales of the kit, but I have one in my basket now, so will hit the button before the end of the month and get it built asap. I think mail strikes and demand might be a problem closer to xmas, so will get 'er done ASAP.

12 hours ago, sirandy said:

are there any Black Friday deals to be had

It is rare to find real Black Friday deals, especially in the UK. You are best to keep note on FH price, with the TC discount, and compare. eModels have a code ATM but they are hardly cheap to begin with. 

Last year, I managed to find a 10% discount code for FOG, not sure if they will have it again this year, and again, compare with FH + TC discount. 

Ok, thats great, thank you. 

Black Friday is a load of rubbish in my opinion, only stores trying to get rid of old stock or slow stock. Will keep an eye on FH.

Cheers

Modelsport is a good shout. I've had good prices and service from Jadlam for all three of the kits I bought this year, including a TT02S.

As for rally set up and needs more droop, You will have to modify and cut the chassis where the droop stopper is to allow more ride height.

As for the parts you mentioned, rubber sealed bearings would be better to use than the stock ones but as mentioned, they are not waterproof. Aluminum steering will help in performance as the stock plastic steering set of TT-02 has a lot of slop. Very lousy to be honest. Aluminum center shaft is also essential as well as CVD especially in the front to prevent the dogbones from flying away during hard impacts or big jump landings. 

For most of the parts, RCmart have them in stock.

@Nicadraus note that the TT02S has different suspension than a base TT02. There's droop available at the rear without modification (just changing spacers/damper eyelets. You can achieve more droop at the front by filing away a portion of the lower arm.