I’ve decide to have a go at shortening my GMADE Gom. It currently stands at 380mm and I would like to reduce it to around 330mm. Are there any Uk available bodies at that wheel base. I would love a panel van style or something like @Mad Ax did recently with a pickup with a hard top body? 

I have never shortened a 4 link suspension before, but I’m assuming that if I remove the same amount from each link it will shorten the wheelbase by the appropriate amount🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻

Wow, its nearly 15" wheelbase stock?  That's a long truck.  If you go down to around 13" as you said I believe the Carisma 76 Ford body would fit and look pretty nice.  It's lexan but has molded grille, bumpers, mirrors, etc.  There are plenty of pickup lexan bodies at 13" wheelbase, but I'd assume you want more detail for a crawler.  The 1967 Chevy from Axial is also lexan but has molded grille, bumpers etc. and that's a nice body.  I have one on a mud truck and it looks great.  I think it's 12.3" but you can probably cheat the wheel wells a bit if you need to. 

As far as actually shortening it - Yup, just cut the links and you'll be good to go.  Make sure they're hollow all the way thorugh and then just tap with whatever thread you need for the rod ends.  If they're solid not a big deal, you'll just need to drill and tap.  

Thanks. The top links are metal the bottom are more like a trailing arm beam. I intend to shorten them then tap and insert rod ends. Can you suggest good rod ends?

3 minutes ago, Busdriver said:

Thanks. The top links are metal the bottom are more like a trailing arm beam. I intend to shorten them then tap and insert rod ends. Can you suggest good rod ends?

I use SSD rod ends, cheap and hold up to monster truck abuse so they should be fine for a crawler.  Nice and cheap too, not sure if you can get them in the UK?  I also use RC4WD rod ends a lot, nice and cheap as well. 

They have all different lengths, threads, and even bent ends if you need them - https://www.amainhobbies.com/ssd-rc-m3-short-plastic-rod-end-10-ssd00020/p498706

• Thanks 1

I generally make my own links using M4 threaded rod (ebay or B&Q) and RC4WD M4/M3 rod ends.  (I hope this link works for you, it's blocked by the proxy where I am now - rod ends ) - if not go to rcbitz.com and search "rod ends" and look for RC4WD M3 M4 Plastic Long Rod End, part no S1375.  That's what I use on pretty much all my builds.  The rod is easy to cut with a hacksaw, if you spin a nut over the thread before you cut then it will clean up the thread when you spin it off again.  If you want to make the rod more attractive and/or slidey, B&Q sell an aluminium tube with a 4mm inside diameter that slips neatly over.  I cut mine with a cheap pipe cutter (and a cordless drill, because I'm lazy).

AFAIK your rear axles have mounting points to put the rear shocks on like a conventional truck.  I don't know if you'll need to make new shock hoops.  It's possible the spring rate will be wrong on your standard shocks, as they're specced to be mounted further up the lower link where the leverage is higher, but you should be able to get new springs for those shocks.  The rate you have in the front would be a good starting point.

Of course, if you can shorten the stock lower link and get a grub in there to attach the new rod end too then cool, you can keep your shock arrangement

• Thanks 1

Dismantled rear end. Ordered some M4 and M3 threaded rod. I can use the upper link rod ends on M4 rod and I think I can cut the lower arms and tap the end to insert an M4 stub into it to fit a rod end. The axles have a fixing point for the shocks if I want to play around with positions. I will take some pictures when I start the work 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Busdriver said:

I’ve decide to have a go at shortening my GMADE Gom. It currently stands at 380mm and I would like to reduce it to around 330mm. Are there any Uk available bodies at that wheel base. I would love a panel van style or something like @Mad Ax did recently with a pickup with a hard top body? 

I have never shortened a 4 link suspension before, but I’m assuming that if I remove the same amount from each link it will shorten the wheelbase by the appropriate amount🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻

Can I politely suggest (which you are welcome to ignore) that you don't bother trying to shorten your GOM to turn it into a scale truck?

It is a completely different style of vehicle. Even if you successfully shorten it, it is much, much wider than a scale truck and uses larger tyres as standard as well.

It's a rock buggy and is best left that way. I fear you will end up with a bag of bits instead of a truck...

5 hours ago, sosidge said:

Can I politely suggest (which you are welcome to ignore) that you don't bother trying to shorten your GOM to turn it into a scale truck?

It is a completely different style of vehicle. Even if you successfully shorten it, it is much, much wider than a scale truck and uses larger tyres as standard as well.

It's a rock buggy and is best left that way. I fear you will end up with a bag of bits instead of a truck...

I have to say that I agree with @sosidge because the GOM uses a full spaceframe tube-type chassis rather than a traditional scale truck chassis.  That is going to make it difficult to fit any kind of alternative body.  The steering servo is mounted on the chassis as well so shortening the wheelbase will cause issues with steering as well.  It seems to me that there will be very little left if you take away all the main structure and then there is nothing to really hold the chassis together.

Thanks to both of you for your honesty. You are possibly correct. I wasn’t necessarily trying to produce a scale truck per se and I am planning now to do it in a way that doesn’t materially stop me putting back as it was. I had always intended to use it as a trail runner more than a rock crawler but possibly bought the wrong thing. Taking your advice on board I still intend to try a few things out even if I learn the hard way!!!! I did try to sell it but didn’t get a sniff so I have not much to loose. Watch this space and you have my permission to say “we told you so” 🤞🏻

I think it looks great!  What body is that?  Obviously a Toyota, but not sure on the manufacturer, RC4WD? 

It is as you say a Toyota Hilux circa 1980 I suppose. Its from L&L Models from their crawler section. It says it is for TRX4 etc etc but it is both an unusual wheelbase and width. The WB is 324mm which was good for me, still some 476mm shorter than the GOM, and 280mm wide. Its as if its had a section stiched into the middle of the body to widen it. It doesnt say who makes it but it fitted exactly what i needed. Cant remember exact price but under £50 delivered.

Edited by Busdriver
typo

It's a really good looking body, truck came out great.  Hope its what you were looking to achieve.  

840FF4EA-A04E-4A18-AEC5-176988290462.jpg
2B94EA5F-4759-4B74-B134-77A057E2F7E1.jpg
50DA6858-6210-4787-895C-201D3A1EBB77.jpg Not my best paint job but it’ll do. Have some brass rod to make a roll bar in the next few days.

• Like 2