danimaldaisy

Why do people build buggy dampers with NO Droop?

Hello,

Hopefully someone can help me with the following.

I cant seem to wrap my head around why someone would build aluminum dampers with enough oring spacers inside the damper to have the suspension level at full extend.  I was under the assumption that you do want your suspension level but to allow travel up and down. I watched a few recent Tamiya legend videos and he specifically said he built his dampers with no droop and level.  I personally build all of my buggy's with as much droop as possible while making sure its level after the drop test.  This allows for droop while making jumps and allows the damper to do its job rather than smack the chassis. 

I understand its personal preference but am curious to see if there is something I am missing.

Thanks!

6 hours ago, danimaldaisy said:

I watched a few recent Tamiya legend videos and he specifically said he built his dampers with no droop and level. 

I suspect he builds them this way just for looks. I think all his builds are shelfers.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Yeah, you'll definitely want some level of droop if you want handling.. even touring cars I use to race on parking lots had usable droop. B)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, toyolien said:

I suspect he builds them this way just for looks. 

IIRC, he has stated this in one of his videos. Personally, into low riders, I am not.

• Like 1

I temd to build mine with a bit of ride height, I hate chassis slapping.

While your example is purely for appearance, limited droop allows higher corner speeds on smoother surfaces. Most 1/10 scale buggies don’t have droop screws, so droop is set with shock length. In general, the smoother the surface and the higher the traction, the less droop. Excessive droop causes traction rolling, insufficient droop makes the car very on edge.

• Like 1