Nikko85

CC01 - does buying one make any sense in 2022?

I was wondering about the CC01, in particular the Unimog 425. I like the idea of a jack of all trades, something that's not too slow but can go off road and something that can be modified. It's also about 1:12 scale, which would match all my other cars. That's quite important to me. 

I know the steering isn't great and really needs an upgrade and there's work needed in the rear axle, but does buying one still make sense in 2022? My main worry is that there are no more spares available, as it is not that cheap, compared to more modern and I assume capable models.

I'd be using it as racing truck - giving the Unimog a racing livery and pretending it's a Dakar racer or similar. Probably on the larger pinion with maybe GF01 tires and wheels, but I've a few questions please...

How bad is the roll over? Is it as bad as people say, or can it be rectified with tire offset and wider tires?

Just how bad is the stock steering? Looking on here it seems like for the CC01 a steering mod is as essential as the typical bearings and steel pinion.

Can cheap mods make it better? I like the idea of a platform I can mod, but not one that is just awful out the box too.

So, would it be worth getting a CC02? I know you can swap the bodies, but the CC02 doesn't have the 425, and I'm less of a fan of the Unimog that comes with it. The more "racy" IFS is also appealing in a way - although solid rear and front is also cool.

I've had a couple CC01s over the years, but both briefly, so I am not expert. I know it has been well loved by many but it just wasn't for me. I can speak to how "racy" it is as I tended to approach it that way too. It can be fast for what it is. I'm used to tossing vintage buggies around in power levels ranging from silvercans to Sport Tuned motors at the far end. I run Torque Tuned motors the most probably. I also run monster trucks. The CC01s and the TA02-T I sold on was neither of these. They don't soak up the backyard bumps like buggies when run swiftly. Nor can I sling them into corners with any aggression without tipping over. Perhaps on something smoother like a ball diamond, it would be different but overall, I could tell "raciness" wasn't in the pedigree (nor was it intended to be). I felt "trail truck" was the best descriptor and that's usually not what I'm about so off it went. This was only my personal experience and others may feel differently. They kinda need to be driven like full size SUVs in stock form and I admit, I wouldn't take a 1:1 SUV sailing over the rough stuff with my foot on the floor.

• Like 2

I have a LandCruiser CC01 that I drive on occasion for mild crawling and mostly slow realistic driving.  It's fun to drive just as long as the intent is to drive realistically.  Honestly I rarely hit full throttle on my CC01 as it does not absorb bumps well as @Saito2 noted at faster speeds making it look too fake.

The Pajero CC01.. I had a difficult time figuring out what this car was supposed to be.. like an urban SUV...(?)   After purchase I couldn't figure out what to do with it until @Badcrumble gave me a crazy challenge.  :lol:

IMG_2022-9-28-160156.jpg.99de0dda59c813462c6c12a560ea3294.jpg

• Like 2

I am currently building it to run on trails! Plan on getting 35t motor so that it is not as fast, but enough to enjoy. Hopefully I can finish up by thanks giving and post some pics. 

• Like 1

If you plan on driving it on a regular basis with minor crawling, the CC-01 will be fine and lots of parts and important upgrades are available for it. But the chassis is very limited to doing more than simple trails and light crawling. Also, steering of the CC-01 is probably one of the worse (if not the worst) in RC chassis. 

If you wish to go beyond capabilities and want to retain a short wheelbase that can be adjustable, skip the CC-02 and go for an MST CFX. Wheelbase can be adjusted from 242mm to 272mm. Also most crawler parts and hop ups from Axial, Traxxas, RC4WD, etc will fit the CFX and not limiting to MST parts only. This little chassis is surprisingly more than capable to do wonders. 

I'm glad I went this route than the CC-02 to be honest. Because I fell into the Tamiya money trap with my CC-01. :lol:

• Like 3

Many thanks everyone for all the replies. It does sounds like it could be a fun project, but perhaps not right for me now.

I only drive cars for a little fun and how it looks on the shelf means a lot too. Given the scale of my cars (all 1/12) my only option is the Unimog, and I'm only interested in the 425.  Perhaps a CC02 with the Unimog 425 body will be the way to go in the long run. 

My other option is a CW01 which seems limited, but has a some nice home made options and I can 3D print a little more, and it's still in production which makes spares much cheaper - if I break a CC01 425 body it's around £40 to replace, the LB would be £10. At the whole car can be had new for around £100.

This is probably not till 2023. I've got three unfinished projects as is, I just like to research and have a plan as that's half the fun.

@Nikko85 My experience with the CC-01 is a Land Cruiser which I ran for a few years, running perhaps 200+ km plus on trails, before giving it to a family member. This car only had bearings, high-torque saver and the rear axle spacer mod on it. Worth noting is that the car was run on dusty and damp/muddy trails but never submerged deep mud. You could say it was treated with care within the context of a trail runner. Never had any issues with the steering but the unsupported plastic steering tube that goes through the chassis was starting to show some wear and did not turn as smoothly as before.

I then immediately bought my current CC-01 Isuzu Mu, which I've probably run for about 100+ km, with a similar experience as my earlier Land Cruiser. I later upgraded to the GPM steering upgrade (junk, needed to file/mod parts before it would even fit) and now the steering is extra smooth.

I won't say the CC-01 is a bad car. Quite the opposite -my experience is that it is a great runner. The suspension geometry makes it less likely to grip-roll. Also, the front suspension has a nice lead-angled skid plate, as opposed to the unprotected steering link + differential on the CC-02. All this makes it, in my opinion, a better higher-speed runner than a CC-02 although a less capable trail car. This is what triggered converting my CC-01 Isuzu into a Rally Raid vehicle after I got a CC-02.

The below videos are good examples how cool a higher-speed CC-01 can be (note this CC-01 has been moded with added weight):

タミヤCC-01が欲しくなるビデオ WANT CC-01 - YouTube

タミヤCC-01が欲しくなるビデオ WANT CC-01? - YouTube

Some light crawling:

タミヤCC-01いすゞミューが欲しくなるビデオ WANT CC-01? ISUZU MU - YouTube

• Like 1

4 hours ago, OoALEJOoO said:

@Nikko85 My experience with the CC-01 is a Land Cruiser which I ran for a few years, running perhaps 200+ km plus on trails, before giving it to a family member. This car only had bearings, high-torque saver and the rear axle spacer mod on it. Worth noting is that the car was run on dusty and damp/muddy trails but never submerged deep mud. You could say it was treated with care within the context of a trail runner. Never had any issues with the steering but the unsupported plastic steering tube that goes through the chassis was starting to show some wear and did not turn as smoothly as before.

I then immediately bought my current CC-01 Isuzu Mu, which I've probably run for about 100+ km, with a similar experience as my earlier Land Cruiser. I later upgraded to the GPM steering upgrade (junk, needed to file/mod parts before it would even fit) and now the steering is extra smooth.

I won't say the CC-01 is a bad car. Quite the opposite -my experience is that it is a great runner. The suspension geometry makes it less likely to grip-roll. Also, the front suspension has a nice lead-angled skid plate, as opposed to the unprotected steering link + differential on the CC-02. All this makes it, in my opinion, a better higher-speed runner than a CC-02 although a less capable trail car. This is what triggered converting my CC-01 Isuzu into a Rally Raid vehicle after I got a CC-02.

The below videos are good examples how cool a higher-speed CC-01 can be (note this CC-01 has been moded with added weight):

タミヤCC-01が欲しくなるビデオ WANT CC-01 - YouTube

タミヤCC-01が欲しくなるビデオ WANT CC-01? - YouTube

Some light crawling:

タミヤCC-01いすゞミューが欲しくなるビデオ WANT CC-01? ISUZU MU - YouTube

Many thanks for the detailed reply. Those videos are great.

It's interesting, I know YMMV is a common phrase here, but it really does seem there are quite a few views. I've heard people saying the steering is awful and breaks within seconds, and you have got 200 km out of yours. Likewise, some seem to have no luck with the GPM steering, others say it slots right in (might have been a faulty batch). It might depend on what you are comparing it against perhaps, and what you expect?

I think it can look amazing, that weighted one is just  amazing. I  feel there is some mileage in heavier cars. Before Lipo and brushless the power weight ratio was all important, but now you can get anything going faster than it needs too and dding weight does really seem to add to the realism - but more power, more weight means more wear on the drive train too.

I think I'll leave the CC01 for now (in fact I've just asked for a CW01 as I was being asked for for a birthday present from the family! but I hope to come back to the CC01 idea sometime. 

I've got a CC01 and a CC02
  in stock form, the 02 is the more capable truck.
However, the 01 is a simple tough little truck, and if you mod the rear suspension (super easy to do) you'll get much more articulation, and change out the steering parts for something a little better (stronger) add bearings, and it a great truck
  I'm currently in the middle of modding my 02, changed out a few parts, added some extra protection, and once the weather isn't deep into the minus range, I'll get a chance to test it out.
   I enjoy both, however both are not crawlers. They are just trail rigs, but a lot of fun in the right environment.

12 hours ago, stulec52 said:

I've got a CC01 and a CC02
  in stock form, the 02 is the more capable truck.
However, the 01 is a simple tough little truck, and if you mod the rear suspension (super easy to do) you'll get much more articulation, and change out the steering parts for something a little better (stronger) add bearings, and it a great truck
  I'm currently in the middle of modding my 02, changed out a few parts, added some extra protection, and once the weather isn't deep into the minus range, I'll get a chance to test it out.
   I enjoy both, however both are not crawlers. They are just trail rigs, but a lot of fun in the right environment.

Thanks. I the end I went a CW01 route but will keep an eye out for the 425. I just say I also really like the Unimog on a G6-01 too. 

Perhaps something for Christmas 2023. 😆

I know you went with the CW01 route for now but I had a CC01 Pajero that was my "daily" driver for several years. it started out stock.

20160211_112208-1.jpg

And then got some modifications, functional as wel as aesthetic.

20160703_2026501.jpg20161030_142250.jpg

It got a lot of suspension travel on the rear

20160210_150101.jpg

Still miss it from time to time but then I still own my CC01 Unimog :D.

They're ideal for trailing IMO. These kind of terrain.

20220412_104157.jpg20220412_180335.jpg20220409_123941.jpg20220412_103320.jpg

• Like 5