GTodd

DB01 - Amazing!!!

I know about 50 percent of you already know this. I’m a day late and a dollar short for the DB01 as I was getting deployed left and right when it came out and I was all in on gas 1/8 TRF. Anyway bought a 511 4 months ago and I’ve been taking my son with me to the track as I dial it in. My son has been begging me to let him drive the 511, I’ve been hesitant so I started looking for Durgas. Two weeks ago I found a NIB for 179 free shipping. I almost broke my phone hitting buy it now! 

My son started building it today with just a little of my help. The quality of the DB01 is amazing .  Solid sturdy plastic, ball bearings , and just over all high quality feeling. There will be few hop ups as one they are hard to find and two it’ll be fun to see just how good these are out of the box. The DB01 has a one up on its TRF brothers, sealed belts that will make it good for the back yard. 

683D619B-9BCD-4B2D-BA9D-8B5CB9FBB663.jpeg

• Like 8

I thought the same thing when building mine. The price wasn't much more than a basic TT02B and cheaper than the Fire Dragon rere, but like you say, its a far better car. Mine was just going to get the alloy suspension mounts which are apparently necessary, but of course it got some aeration dampers and the dual slipper as well. It will be interesting to hear your thoughts on it compared to your TRF buggy

• Like 3

It will get a set of big bores I’ve got in the bin, and the 511 slipper as I’m now running the dual slipper on the 511. Fun car, tamiya needs to bring it back one more time.

1 hour ago, GTodd said:

It will get a set of big bores I’ve got in the bin, and the 511 slipper as I’m now running the dual slipper on the 511. Fun car, tamiya needs to bring it back one more time.

Did it ever leave? I came back to the hobby in 2016 and the DB01RR was reasonably easy to get. Right now the Durga is readily available. Thats similar availability to the TA07 in the same time frame, which basically makes the DB01 a regular kit!

Agree though, having this sitting in the back catalogue and then they introduce new substandard models, why not just keep this one going!

• Like 2

I have one of these inbound too at the moment. Things are a little more expensive for us in the UK and the hop ups a little harder to find. 
Sorry to hijack your thread but what do we see as essential hop ups for this chassis?

5 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

Did it ever leave? I came back to the hobby in 2016 and the DB01RR was reasonably easy to get. Right now the Durga is readily available. Thats similar availability to the TA07 in the same time frame, which basically makes the DB01 a regular kit!

Agree though, having this sitting in the back catalogue and then they introduce new substandard models, why not just keep this one going!

It’s left over stock, most of the hop ups are gone and difficult to acquire. Same for the spares.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

Supposedly the metal suspension blocks and mounts. I’ll find out!!! Already need to depend $$$$ on a brushless combo and servo, I’m not trying to break the bank on this!

10 hours ago, Misterp180 said:

I have one of these inbound too at the moment. Things are a little more expensive for us in the UK and the hop ups a little harder to find. 
Sorry to hijack your thread but what do we see as essential hop ups for this chassis?

That thread has some really good information about essential upgrades.

5 hours ago, GTodd said:

It’s left over stock, most of the hop ups are gone and difficult to acquire. Same for the spares.

I hadn't thought of that, it seems there are heaps available so I figured it was another production run. Either way I don't mind, I finally have one 

there's an excellent list here of just about every hop-up for the DB-01:

http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17021

but as mentioned already, they are very hard (and very expensive) to get hold of now. I would sooooo love Tamiya to do another run of the hop ups for it, it's such a cracking chassis, so much better than pretty much everything else they have out now.

I'm fairly certain they are currently producing at least some of the hop-ups - the aluminium suspension mounts seem readily available. The more exotic race stuff like the dual slipper / spool less so.  I wouldn't be surprised if they were turning out small numbers of the Durga kit because it pays for itself. 

I used 3Racing aluminium suspension mount, fits perfectly without problem and far cheaper than Tamiya's original. Gear diffs are aplenty but I had to hunt for the slipper clutch, and yeah seems no other brand making alternatives for more complex parts like those.