kontemax

A couple of wrong steps by Tamiya on re-releases

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, in my humble opinion.

Back in the days one of my mates bought a Super Sabre because he loved the way it looks, and he still does. I couldn't understand how somebody could spend money on a Super Sabre as you could have bought the much better looking Boomerang for the same amount of money. I still think the Boomerang is the better looking car of these two.

But who am I to tell my friend he got it all wrong, or who is he to tell me I got it all wrong about the Boomerang? 

We accepted eachothers opinion and still enjoy eachothers company to talk and enjoy our RC cars, (or toys as someone less educated would call them)

I like a world where people respect each other's beliefs :)

• Like 4

On 11/30/2022 at 9:24 PM, Tamiyastef said:

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, in my humble opinion.

Back in the days one of my mates bought a Super Sabre because he loved the way it looks, and he still does. I couldn't understand how somebody could spend money on a Super Sabre as you could have bought the much better looking Boomerang for the same amount of money. I still think the Boomerang is the better looking car of these two.

But who am I to tell my friend he got it all wrong, or who is he to tell me I got it all wrong about the Boomerang? 

We accepted eachothers opinion and still enjoy eachothers company to talk and enjoy our RC cars, (or toys as someone less educated would call them)

I like a world where people respect each other's beliefs :)

As I previously said, concerning aesthetics, it's a matter of taste but there are recognized rules also.

Max

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kontemax said:

As I previously said, concerning aesthetics, it's a matter of taste but there are recognized rules also.

I love this thread, and how it's mixing in opinions both subjective and objective.  When we start blending the lines between rules and tastes we almost start entering into a discussion on the philosophy of art.  Oh what a tangled mess that could (would?) become...

I love how we have such a varied user base here.

:)

• Like 4

6 hours ago, bRIBEGuy said:

I love this thread, and how it's mixing in opinions both subjective and objective.  When we start blending the lines between rules and tastes we almost start entering into a discussion on the philosophy of art.  Oh what a tangled mess that could (would?) become...

I love how we have such a varied user base here.

:)

I'm sorry for the long reading.

"De Gustibus non disputandum est" said my Roman Ancestors: no arguing about taste, but there are codes and rules very ancient that define what is beauty and what is not, what is balanced and what is not.
These codes comes from the Ancient Greece (for example the Polykleitos' canon about human proportions), then where adopted and evolved in Italy by the Romans, then after the Empire they where adopted again and evolved in the Italian Renaissance.
Genius people like Leonardo Da Vinci, Michelangelo Buonarroti, Raffaello Sanzio (not to mention about all the architects like Filippo Brunelleschi) used this knowledge to further create and codify the beautiful. Their studies have led to new discoveries such as the geometrical perspective (Giotto, Piero Della Francesca, Leon Battista Alberti),  the aerial perspective and the human proportions of the Vitruvian Man (Leonardo Da Vinci), the Caravaggio's chiaroscuro, recognizing the Fidia's golden section, the Fibonacci's golden spiral, the use of mathematics in shapes and proportions, the same mathematics that is found in the shapes and proportions of nature, in a snowflake, in a crystal, in a flower.
All these knowledge arrived to us trough the time and centuries with new discoveries and sadly stopped with the invention of photography.
This new technical instrument was not beatable in reproduction of the reality, probably it was the death of the good painting but not the death of the research for the beauty.
In fact the photographic composition of the image follows the same rules of painting and art.
The cinema, that I made in the past years, follow the same rules as well.
In the beginning of the 20th Century there was the research for the Gestalt Theorie (Theory of the shape), the Color Theory and many other studies.
These are more than 5000 years of history and researches in the western, in Europe, that a group of self defined german "philosophers" in the 30ies tried to destroy for political reasons: the Frankfurter School.
Because of these people we are in the era of ugliness and the recent "Balenciaga scandal" is the perfect example of the research for ugliness and horror.
This attempt to subvert and destroy the classic and the sense of beauty had a strictly political reason and has nothing to do with the art but with command & control.
For this reason I said that no arguing about taste but there are good taste and bad taste and who follows the bad taste has no knowledge of art and its rules or else is a Frankfurter School disciple.
There's only one way to draw the Golden Section, for example, because it's math that draws the Golden Section. The Golden Section is the beauty. If you draw the Golden Section with a different proportion is no more the Golden Section so is no more beauty.
A good designer knows these rules, or better should know these rules.
If a designer reject these rules have an ego problem or doesn't know them, both ways he is not a designer or a good designer.
I strongly believe that all these "young designers" have these two characteristics, in addiction they are influenced by the Frankfurt School, that exploded in the western in the last 30 years.
The total lack of humility, typical of sponsored and overrated young people, does the rest.
I believe also that the "humble and unknown Tamiya designer" (something similar to a simple employee) has a far away long better taste than a "overrated superstar young designer" that for sure is the other kind of designers, the one I don't like.

Max

• Like 1

"I studied all this stuff at university and I am here to have fun doing RC modelling and driving, on the track and in my garden, regardless many serious matters"

Collin, 2023 A.C.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

28 minutes ago, Collin said:

"I studied all this stuff at university and I am here to have fun doing RC modelling and driving, on the track and in my garden, regardless many serious matters"

Collin, 2023 A.C.

And hey my friend, you are a good designer, too!:) Think of the Dyna Air scoop for example...

Have fun,

Matthias

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/3/2022 at 12:16 PM, Collin said:

Collin, 2023 A.C.

A. C.?

Max

• Haha 1

I'm not going to disagree with any of @kontemax very good intro on the first page and all people who agree or disagree because like I've always maintained this is a great light hearted forum/club that I turn to most nights after a pretty grubby and rubbish work day which this hobby totally relaxes me when I look and read what everyone puts on here! brilliant pictures and subsequent comments:D and also I've had more than enough abusive comments and emails that I feel is necessary on a hobby forum!

My take on tamiya is simply they have always been unpredictable right from my first tamiya rc buggy which was the Ford ranger which even back then the original idea for the ranger was to put it on a 4wd chassis (Toyota hilux, blazing blazer) but it never materialised and subsequently from then on have done random things which they never explain why and I for one kinda like that!  eg why the hotshot 2 box in silver? 

As regards to the jun Watanabe models i get why people don't take to his creations the hornet was way out there but correct me if I'm wrong didn't he originally use that design for training shoes? And the BH wild one is very tame compared to his previous creations and why make the roof taller on the BH motors hotshot 2 that must have required all new moldings for what purpose? And I go back to my original point that tamiya have always done random things which I always think "why" but if I'm being honest I don't really want to know if its explained in subsequent promo material then that's fine but I'll personally take everything for what it is when it comes my way:D

• Like 2

11 hours ago, kontemax said:

A. C.?

Max

Regarding your excours to ancient greeks and romans I thought it was obvious. A.C. means "After Christ (birth)". But to be more prcisely, it should have been A.D..

Greetings.

6 hours ago, Collin said:

Regarding your excours to ancient greeks and romans I thought it was obvious. A.C. means "After Christ (birth)". But to be more prcisely, it should have been A.D..

Greetings.

A.C. Avanti Cristo in Italian, so I was not understanding the meaning.

In addition we are currently in 2022 not 2023...

A.D. is Anno Domini, Latin.

Max

10 hours ago, moffman said:

why make the roof taller on the BH motors hotshot 2 that must have required all new moldings for what purpose?

Not sure about a new moulds... I suspect there's only a taller front mount, screwed on the chassis, to rise the roof frame.

Max

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kontemax said:

Not sure about a new moulds... I suspect there's only a taller front mount, screwed on the chassis, to rise the roof frame.

Max

So I'm thinking you could leave the front mount off giving it the correct hotshot 2 roof line? Interesting!

• Like 1

Everyone is probably bored of me saying it but I'm a big fan of the Egress but it's not their best looking buggy and the box art doesn't flatter at all, the Black edition even less so. To me it looks cheap (which it certainly isn't).

I like some of the Blockhead Team stuff. Some of the liveries at their RC gallery show looked great.

The Wild one release was pretty good, not perfect for sure but as a mass produced design I liked it and the scheme fitted the era of the buggy. I was hugely surprised they chose the HS2 as their next release. I was expecting a Grasshopper or Hornet given all the individual versions they have worked on previously. I was even more surprised that they went with the same scheme as the WO. It feels lazy and just doesn't fit IMO. I thought they would embrace the late 80's vibe more and go with something with some abstract shapes, lines and ,maybe a neon and black colour pallette. On the other hand I like some of the changes e.g. the higher roof line but it's still not a 'realistic' looking buggy so not sure there was much point.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, kontemax said:

A.C. Avanti Cristo in Italian, so I was not understanding the meaning.

In addition we are currently in 2022 not 2023...

A.D. is Anno Domini, Latin.

Max

I am ahead of my time, almost there, a few days and it fits perfect : )

• Like 1

The Blockhead stuff really seems phoned in to me. It’s just not “special “, somehow, and the color palette doesn’t work right on either. The black and red of the originals looked so much better, although the yellow CVAs on the HSII look better than black would.

The Black Special releases do nothing for me at all. Now, if all of the aluminum was anodized gold, that would be another story, wouldn’t it?

Max, I always enjoy your design critiques. I wish they’d hurry up and do new bodies for the Super Avante and Astute ‘22.

• Like 2

On 12/9/2022 at 3:13 AM, Big Jon said:

Max, I always enjoy your design critiques. I wish they’d hurry up and do new bodies for the Super Avante and Astute ‘22.

Thank you, I candidate myself to design the new bodies for those models (joking).

Max

• Like 1

Anyway RcKicks painted the Egress Black Special with PS16 gunmetal.
My question is: why buy a black special to paint it not black?

Post Scriptum: the Egress is better gunmetal than black at the end.

Max

On 12/11/2022 at 8:58 AM, kontemax said:

Avante Black isn’t PS2 either, isn’t it PS31 Smoke? :P

On 12/11/2022 at 8:58 AM, kontemax said:

Because it's available! I was going to get one because it was easier than finding another Re-Re but my plan was not to go box-art black for sure!

I like my black Egress. I think it looks awesome.  B)

So does many other people.

IMG_2022-12-1-174848.jpg.6f2d30c12aa59fa768389580674aa861.jpg

This was also originally a black Egress body.. 

IMG_2022-12-10-225251.jpg.10ff1168f7d3d255a45f2c05362e8739.jpg

• Like 1

On 12/10/2022 at 4:58 PM, kontemax said:

Anyway RcKicks painted the Egress Black Special with PS16 gunmetal.

Post Scriptum: the Egress is better gunmetal than black at the end.

Max

I painted my Egress to look like my favourite Italian grape, Sangiovese 😉

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Raman36 said:

I painted my Egress to look like my favourite Italian grape, Sangiovese 😉

Pictures, please!

Max

17 hours ago, kontemax said:

Pictures, please!

Max

Couldn’t find it when I wrote the post.. here is a mediocre shot of it 

3358B96B-4ED2-4466-A990-E026173455FC.jpeg

• Like 10

6 hours ago, Superluminal said:

Thats a lovely colour!!!

Is it one paint or a transparent / clear coloured coat wiith a backing?

Clear PS red, backed with PS dark metallic grey. 

• Like 1