kontemax

A couple of wrong steps by Tamiya on re-releases

7 hours ago, Raman36 said:

Couldn’t find it when I wrote the post.. here is a mediocre shot of it 

3358B96B-4ED2-4466-A990-E026173455FC.jpeg

So much better than the black special...

Max

• Like 1

On 12/15/2022 at 4:17 AM, Willy iine said:

I like my black Egress. I think it looks awesome.  B)

No criticism meant @Willy iine. If time, space and budget allowed I would end up with a Black egress. But first I would want one in something more like gun metal. I would also maybe like another with some more distinct livery. In fact I reckon I could do with half a dozen ;) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GeeWings said:

No criticism meant @Willy iine. If time, space and budget allowed I would end up with a Black egress. But first I would want one in something more like gun metal. I would also maybe like another with some more distinct livery. In fact I reckon I could do with half a dozen ;) 

No worries, I was just posting in a general sense.. not at anyone, just in support for the black Egress!  B)  I am interested in seeing a dark purple Egress.. I'm wondering how that works with the blue in the decals.  

I'm going to be doing a black MID after the Beetle as my encore round.. B)   not sure how that would go... wish me hope.. :ph34r:  code name “MIDnight”. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Willy iine said:

No worries, I was just posting in a general sense.. not at anyone, just in support for the black Egress!  B)  I am interested in seeing a dark purple Egress.. I'm wondering how that works with the blue in the decals.  

I'm going to be doing a black MID after the Beetle as my encore round.. B)   not sure how that would go... wish me hope.. :ph34r:  code name “MIDnight”. 

I am currently trying to get the right shade of "Dark Purple" for my Avante Black Special.   I've tried PS45 Translucent Purple backed in PS23 Gun Metal but the cold air here didn't allow for my paint samples to cure well.  I'll keep at it until I finally have my Avante Blackberry Special eventually..

• Like 1

I don't know if I've posted already about this, but it would be cool if Tamiya did another run of the Honda City Turbo.

• Like 5

On 12/15/2022 at 9:05 AM, Raman36 said:

Couldn’t find it when I wrote the post.. here is a mediocre shot of it 

3358B96B-4ED2-4466-A990-E026173455FC.jpeg

It's truly stunning. One of the best looking Egress I've ever seen, would love to see more photos of it. Great color choice 👌

• Like 1

I work with a lot of graphic designers in my day job, and have experience of it in my past. 

The Jun Hornet tickled a lot of them enough to buy a Tamiya. Eight were purchased in the uk in my office alone. This group of people were not into the hobby, although the older ones had maybe run a Rc car back in the day and were familiar with the hornet/ lunchbox etc.

It looks fantastic in the flesh, the design makes it look less like a car and more like an ornament. It  catches your eye from all angles. 

The BH Wild one improved on the original.  Easily the best scale looking buggy in the last decade. Importantly it’s Tamiya re-inventing the ideas of a re-release. It’s a remix of old and new. 

The new BH HS2 takes that further and they have remixed the form even more fundamentally.

The new shape looks much better to me, my original always seemed too squat, like it had been stood on.

There is no way I would have bought the re-released Hornet, W1 or HS2 if they were in their original designs. 

I hope Tamiya does this for most re-releases going forward.

As to Black editions, I just see those as a long Tamiya tradition. Some look better than others, but it’s always subjective. I like that Tamiya has kept up this tradition from the 60’s when it made slot cars.

• Like 4

On 12/16/2022 at 6:28 AM, Ferruz said:

It's truly stunning. One of the best looking Egress I've ever seen, would love to see more photos of it. Great color choice 👌

I’ll try my best to get some better photos, as the wing is now complete as well.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, qatmix said:

I work with a lot of graphic designers in my day job, and have experience of it in my past. 

The Jun Hornet tickled a lot of them enough to buy a Tamiya. Eight were purchased in the uk in my office alone. This group of people were not into the hobby, although the older ones had maybe run a Rc car back in the day and were familiar with the hornet/ lunchbox etc.

It looks fantastic in the flesh, the design makes it look less like a car and more like an ornament. It  catches your eye from all angles. 

The BH Wild one improved on the original.  Easily the best scale looking buggy in the last decade. Importantly it’s Tamiya re-inventing the ideas of a re-release. It’s a remix of old and new. 

The new BH HS2 takes that further and they have remixed the form even more fundamentally.

The new shape looks much better to me, my original always seemed too squat, like it had been stood on.

There is no way I would have bought the re-released Hornet, W1 or HS2 if they were in their original designs. 

I hope Tamiya does this for most re-releases going forward.

As to Black editions, I just see those as a long Tamiya tradition. Some look better than others, but it’s always subjective. I like that Tamiya has kept up this tradition from the 60’s when it made slot cars.

Agree with you my friend in regards to them stepping things up. With the black editions, there remains an opportunity for improvement. I think they should step it off an add more unique black anodised or dark anodised parts.. eg all aluminium parts on the egress should have been anodised to match the shocks and front uprights. 

As an example, the optima versus turbo optima which has all the gold anodised goodies

• Like 3

Those dark titanium shocks would really look great on my Egress 😉

Woof.
The Egress doesn't excite me. I definitely like the original much better, but good lord, I had to go look up the blockhead Hotshot 2 to see the apparent monstrosity worthy of such seething vitriol - and was surprised to see something more interesting than the original in every conceivable way visually. I was fully expecting to see a polkadotted car covered in pink/purple gradients, but this is just a vintage inspired livery that reminds me of Turbo Hoppers. Apparently people have flown into a rage though because I had to scroll past several Youtube videos about people being unhappy to get an actual look at the thing. If this was a version of the original Hotshot, I'd sort of get it, but given that the livery of the original Hotshot 2 was very much a lackluster letdown by comparison, I'm not sure who loved it so much that this new one hurts their feelings.  

• Like 2

On 1/22/2023 at 8:02 PM, Sayer said:

Woof.
The Egress doesn't excite me. I definitely like the original much better, but good lord, I had to go look up the blockhead Hotshot 2 to see the apparent monstrosity worthy of such seething vitriol - and was surprised to see something more interesting than the original in every conceivable way visually. I was fully expecting to see a polkadotted car covered in pink/purple gradients, but this is just a vintage inspired livery that reminds me of Turbo Hoppers. Apparently people have flown into a rage though because I had to scroll past several Youtube videos about people being unhappy to get an actual look at the thing. If this was a version of the original Hotshot, I'd sort of get it, but given that the livery of the original Hotshot 2 was very much a lackluster letdown by comparison, I'm not sure who loved it so much that this new one hurts their feelings.  

To each their own.  Personally I am a fan of the original Hotshot II livery; I found it the most appealing of the entire Hotshot lineup.  I wouldn't say I was enraged, but I was definitely disappointed that they skipped right over a proper re-re and went straight to a Blockhead edition.  One would have been an instant buy; this isn't.  Simple as that.

• Like 1

On 1/22/2023 at 7:02 PM, Sayer said:

Apparently people have flown into a rage though because I had to scroll past several Youtube videos about people being unhappy to get an actual look at the thing. If this was a version of the original Hotshot, I'd sort of get it, but given that the livery of the original Hotshot 2 was very much a lackluster letdown by comparison, I'm not sure who loved it so much that this new one hurts their feelings.  

I'm surprised that people are more bothered about the looks of a buggy that they will never buy, and not the fact that they come with plasfic bushings (while costing over $200) or the fact that they're a limited collectors item.

Both of those points kinda leave a bad taste in my mouth.

The Wild One Blockhead doesn't seem all that limited.  There are plenty still about.  Both that and the Hotshot II Blockhead have 58xxx model numbers so I don't seem them as any different to other similar kits where demand is such that aren't produced constantly e.g. regular Egress, Boomerang versus say the Lunch Box or Grasshopper.

I’ve yet to buy anything Blockhead Motors..    I think those BH WildOne’s are cool, but since there is no exclusivity I sort of lost interest.. if that makes any sense. 

I will let my Willy’s Fast Time Attack Vehicle own the WO space for the time being.  I’m not much of a fan of the HotShot2 BH either..  

I hear Tamiya is working on a Fox rere.. (?)

IMG_2022-11-11-153030.jpg.f3b1960a94a0c7272539a956c5809c69.jpg

• Like 1

On 1/30/2023 at 8:03 AM, Willy iine said:

I hear Tamiya is working on a Fox rere.. (?)

Its had a couple runs already, its released as Novafox, and is a must have :ph34r::wub:

49921969207_5194a64ec8_k.jpg

• Like 2

On 1/29/2023 at 3:33 PM, Willy iine said:

I’ve yet to buy anything Blockhead Motors..    I think those BH WildOne’s are cool, but since there is no exclusivity I sort of lost interest.. if that makes any sense. 

IMG_2022-11-11-153030.jpg.f3b1960a94a0c7272539a956c5809c69.jpg

It sorta doesn't I'm afraid, perhaps you could elaborate. Anytime I think of special editions, colors, exclusiviy, I'm reminded that with just a different can of paint (or two) you can make your own unique edition!

In other news, your FTAV looks neat!

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Kowalski86 said:

It sorta doesn't I'm afraid, perhaps you could elaborate. Anytime I think of special editions, colors, exclusiviy, I'm reminded that with just a different can of paint (or two) you can make your own unique edition!

In other news, your FTAV looks neat!

When I build a special car I want exclusivity of some level.  BH cars are too widely available (cost point included) so to me it’s not very special.  

I do like the blue and yellow theme though on the WO.. just not enough to reserve a spot in my pretend RC shop due to limited space.. 

11 hours ago, Willy iine said:

When I build a special car I want exclusivity of some level.  BH cars are too widely available (cost point included) so to me it’s not very special.  

I do like the blue and yellow theme though on the WO.. just not enough to reserve a spot in my pretend RC shop due to limited space.. 

I guess that makes sense...but at the same time, I have an idea for an M03 build that will be very "exclusive", if it works. I like making my own exclusivity (even if my ideas fail half the time!).

And hey, the BH being widely available means more parts avail....oh right, this is Tamiya we're talking about.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Kowalski86 said:

I guess that makes sense...but at the same time, I have an idea for an M03 build that will be very "exclusive", if it works. I like making my own exclusivity (even if my ideas fail half the time!).

And hey, the BH being widely available means more parts avail....oh right, this is Tamiya we're talking about.

M03 rocks!   My favorite FWD m-chassis from Tamiya.    Keep us posted.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Willy iine said:

M03 rocks!   My favorite FWD m-chassis from Tamiya.    Keep us posted.  

Gladly! I just need to wait for new body posts and better weather.

Let's revamp this thread with some more infos about the re release HS2 BHM model.
I found some pictures of the car.
The chassis is totally different so bad news for who want to convert it to the vintage HS2: you must buy a Super Hot Shot chassis and the roll bar cage.
The good news is that the under plate is identical to the vintage one.
Roll bar is totally different and also battery retainers.
The bigger problem remains the red dampers.
I don't believe that the yellow ones can be dyed in red.
My idea remains the same: this version of the HS2 is ugly.

Max

HS2 BHM3.jpg

HS2 BHM4.jpg

HS2 BHM5.jpg

HS2 BHM6.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, kontemax said:

My idea remains the same: this version of the HS2 is ugly.

I'm afraid I agree. I mean, if someone likes it, that great too...just not me. For a time, I tried to consider that the BH HS2's new looks were simply different than the original HS2's and perhaps the nostalgic lens I was looking though was making the BH version seem "wrong" or "off" in my mind's eye. Then I saw it parked next to the BBX and thought "Nope, I really do feel its ugly". Tamiya got the proportions right the first time IMHO. Sorry, just my opinion. Overall, I'm not against the BH stuff. It beats the "rainbow of colors" editions that have been put out with little effort (again, a Black Edition Midnight Pumpkin?! What the heck?).

• Like 2