Gabranth

TA06 (Rear) Gear Diff For DB01?

I'm aware that people used TA06 steel bevel gear inside DB01 gear diff but what about the whole gear diff package? 

Here's DB01 gear diff (54329)

54329_1.jpg.6a578510390348f02c7f6b2e89436be3.jpg

And here's TA06 rear gear diff set (54770)

54470_1.jpg.047669971d58cb68d2e2ee81b260bb13.jpg

The obvious differences to me are the lesser number of shims and o-rings and obviously the gear material; but other than that, they look identical.

So are they compatible (as is, with missing shims and rings dealt with)? Anyone has some experience?

That's actually a TA06 front diff (the rear is not belt driven)

The TA06 uses a larger pulley (39T vs 37T in a DB01) so the belts won't fit. You may well have other clearance issues even if you found some slightly longer belts.

Tamiya are usually pretty good at listing compatibility with older cars on their spare parts.

Yes I mixed the front and rear there. I see DB01 one has 37T written on it but due to low resolution I couldn't make out the TA06 one. I always suspected the pulley size difference makes them incompatible, but then looking at the pics and compare the proportion of the pulley assembly compared to the gears and screws they look identical and now I have my doubt. What if the differences in number of shims and o-rings are the only thing that makes Tamiya list them as incompatible, is what I thought.

Well I'm gonna check TA06 manual to confirm that my theory is wrong because I gotta admit it's too good to be true.

EDIT: Yeah it is 39T, apparently eyeballing parts from blurry picture is not a good method :D 

• Like 1

Some of the belt driven TRF buggies used the 39t IIRC, and possibly the DB01RRR. I think they even mixed the 39 and the 37 so that the front was overdriven. 

edit: just checked the manual - the DB01RRR used the 39t gear diffs with a slightly longer belt to accommodate it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The DB-01 diffs have been easier to find lately, and I haven’t seen a RRR belt available in forever, while the DB-01 reinforced belts are relatively common. I’d really like to use the 39t pulleys in my DB, too. Mine has a ton of hop-ups, so it would just be for the cool factor.

I bought a couple of the DB-01 gear diffs for the front and rear of my DB-01 build, as when I get around to actually building it, it will be a regular runner. I hadn't heard about upgrading the internal gears from plastic to metal.

So are the 54428 Steel Bevel Gears for the TA06 gear diff unit a direct replacement for the plastic DB-01 gears?