toyolien

HPI Datsun 510 Body.

Anyone got one of these on an m-chassis? I really like it and would like to build an M-08. How is the quality of the HPI bodies? Are they thin, tough or somewhere in between?

7209_00.jpg

Thanks.

I don't have that body, but ran HPI bodies all the time on my touring cars.  They are good quality..given nothing changed since pre-2000..  I've actually been to their body making plant when they were in Irvine.  :D  ..they were using top of the line equipment.

If I can find those wheels, I wouldn't mind converting my CupRacer back to that wheel base.  

2 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

I don't have that body, but ran HPI bodies all the time on my touring cars.  They are good quality..given nothing changed since pre-2000..  I've actually been to their body making plant when they were in Irvine.  :D  ..they were using top of the line equipment.

If I can find those wheels, I wouldn't mind converting my CupRacer back to that wheel base.  

Thanks for that Willy. I read on another forum that this body was thin and easily damaged. But with your recommendation I might proceed with a build. It's a lovely body.

1 minute ago, toyolien said:

Thanks for that Willy. I read on another forum that this body was thin and easily damaged. But with your recommendation I might proceed with a build. It's a lovely body.

I mean some people just like crashing, right?  :lol:   I honestly don't remember the last time I crashed my cars enough to damage the body to that extent.. especially not after 2.4GHz..

On 11/22/2022 at 12:38 PM, toyolien said:

How is the quality of the HPI bodies?

I’ve ran many of their bodies in late 90s early 00s on my touring car and super nitro and they’ve always held up amazing, especially with the beating my super nitro would take every week at the track. The detail might not be as nice as a tamiya some times but the thickness and quality was always there.

I've got one...shell is for sale.

52193084852_e4b5ff7ef0_k.jpg

52194355644_247048ba78_k.jpg

Are they thin, tough or somewhere in between? All of the above.😅 Nah it's very thick would be an excellent racer.

I’ve looked at that a few times. My only reluctance was due to the fact I couldn’t really justify another M chassis and it has to be rwd and an M08 was the only option. An @toyolien version would be worth watching. It’s a boxy body much like the Fiat Mirafiore but really sexy

Thanks for all the comments guys. @Yoshimitsu Colour looks great on that one.

1 minute ago, Busdriver said:

I’ve looked at that a few times. My only reluctance was due to the fact I couldn’t really justify another M chassis and it has to be rwd and an M08 was the only option. An @toyolien version would be worth watching. It’s a boxy body much like the Fiat Mirafiore but really sexy

I really like body and have an M-08r sat here that I've been looking at for a few months. But I just can't get excited about it and was hoping this body would give me some interest to get it started. However, I've just managed to buy the body I originally wanted. A Tamiya Datsun 240z, so that means a TT-02. So, I think I may just end up selling the M-08. I really enjoy my M-07 but the TT-02 will be much more usable (and weatherproof) compared the the M-08.

I used to have the cup racer with these bodies. Durability was about the same as Tamiya. These bodies however were to piece mould.. wasn’t a fan of that aspect.

The seem to be reproducing them again. I’ve seen the 2 Datsuns available for sale 

I recently bought a copy of the 510 body and was disappointed to find it didn't come with the chrome bumper/wiper/mirror parts the original body had.  I guess this body came in two versions originally -- one with chrome detail parts, and one that is more of track version missing those details.  As far as I can tell only the track version is available at the moment.

• Like 1