Smokescreen38

I snoozed on the Dynahead. Is there really any chance of this thing will be available again soon?

It seems like there’s a pretty standard process for these kits to come in and out of availability for indeterminate amounts of time. I noticed that in the case of the Dynahead, online stores are showing it as being on backorder rather than discontinued. Does that mean anything?

Currently, places like EBay seem like the only choices but unfortunately, I’m not in a position to spend collector prices on models but I fully plan to drive in enjoy.

I’ve strongly considered a Konghead  or a Kingyellow, doing without the portals and trying to make the most of it with a crawler motor and some legit tires but I can’t get past the strange Kenworth (?) Truck body or the silly bus body. Is the Dynahead body available separately?  I could not find a part number for it.

Thanks for any help! 

The G6-01 is a strange beast. I find the chassis phenomenally cool, but I'm with you in that most of the bodies are a letdown. That includes the Konghead, Dynahead and to a lesser extent the King Yellow. The Volvo A60 is not too bad.

As a proud owner of a Dynamog (Unimog body on a G6-01TR chassis), my thought is that this is one Tamiya chassis that really shines if you are planning to mod the body or create a custom one.

Unimog-01.JPG

Regarding the portals, it depends on what you want to use the vehicle for. For a trail or light-crawler the portals are cool, but I don't think they are a must-have. Unless you want ultimate ground clearance and/or crawling, the truck is 90% the same without them. If you are after scale looks, the truck would look perfect without portals.

The portals increase torque at the wheel substantially, and I am not sure that is a good thing. With a stock 27T Silvercan motor, the truck would have so much torque that it could possibly break the drivetrain (downstream or at the portals) if the tires get stuck and you continuously yank full throttle. You can choose a slower less powerful motor (say 45T) but this would mean the truck would be too slow. My compromise was to use a 35T motor, 20T pinion and large wheels. This gives a reasonable speed (8kph, a bit faster than walking pace) but a safer torque. Still, the truck has more torque than I would ever need.

I sometimes think that a cooler truck could be to start without portals (regular G6-01 chassis), ~94mm ties like Tamiya's Rock Block, 18T pinion and 45T motor, for about 9kph top speed.

• Like 9

+1 for the Dynamog. Mine runs a silvercan and a 1080 esc. Great trail truck and climber. Mine is a little more top heavy than @OoALEJOoO’s is my cab is a Loops hard body. Am planning a refresh of mine soon as it’s getting a bit battered!!!2B15858D-4206-449F-B2B4-5E8C42C70CE6.jpg
CC77657D-66ED-4B92-907A-B0FAC3AD7CDC.jpg

• Like 7

@Busdriver Is your Dynamog using portals?  Those tires look to be about 105mm diameter, which is perfect. I really like how it looks more scale than mine :)

I used 118mm tires + portals. While the thing can eat rough terrain for breakfast, it does look a bit too tall.

7 hours ago, OoALEJOoO said:

@Busdriver Is your Dynamog using portals?  Those tires look to be about 105mm diameter, which is perfect. I really like how it looks more scale than mine :)

I used 118mm tires + portals. While the thing can eat rough terrain for breakfast, it does look a bit too tall.

Yes it’s a stock Dynahead chassis. 70+ bearings helps the OD of the wheels is 110mm. They are Austar super swamper rock tyres.

10 minutes ago, Nikko85 said:

These both look great - Tamiya should really get on this! 

Thanks for the compliment. I’ve always thought they made a mistake with the body of the Dynahead. Somewhere on the net is an article about the design concept for it. They basically had 3 ideas and they chose the wrong one!!!

• Like 1

One of my favorite models from Tamiya, wish I had grabbed another before they disappeared. (I highly doubt it's coming back, it's such an odd duck) The portals bring to gearing down into crawler range, something I couldn't do with the Konghead. 

I like the Dynahead body personally. Looks good depending on how you paint it. I ran 4 packs through mine at last years G6, and it went everywhere and held up great .... surprised a lot of people.  Wearing 4.19 Hyrax in the pic below. 

20210716-125937-SM.jpg

• Like 5

On 11/24/2022 at 10:41 AM, Smokescreen38 said:

It seems like there’s a pretty standard process for these kits to come in and out of availability for indeterminate amounts of time. I noticed that in the case of the Dynahead, online stores are showing it as being on backorder rather than discontinued. Does that mean anything?

Currently, places like EBay seem like the only choices but unfortunately, I’m not in a position to spend collector prices on models but I fully plan to drive in enjoy.

I’ve strongly considered a Konghead  or a Kingyellow, doing without the portals and trying to make the most of it with a crawler motor and some legit tires but I can’t get past the strange Kenworth (?) Truck body or the silly bus body. Is the Dynahead body available separately?  I could not find a part number for it.

Thanks for any help! 

Showing in stock at E Models and Howes models in the UK. Failing that most companies seem to expecting stock in March/April next year?

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Busdriver said:

Go to page 7. Prototype 1 and 4 should have got the vote!!!

wow - agreed! I like number 1 myself, that looks killer. 

Just seen this post..... @Smokescreen38

I have a new built unused dynahead with many hopups (in my showroom) which I could be tempted to sell and I have a NIB as well which I could be tempted into selling.

Plus full ball bearings, oil shocks etc

If anyone is serious then please pm me.

I do like the chassis, it's one of tamiyas most involved builds, I even have 3sets of tamiya tracks that I was going to build the nib with.

Listed for sale on main page and on ebay

• Like 2

Thanks, taffer. 

I'd LOVE to buy this from you buy Im over in the USA so the shipping costs would be prohibitive for me. 

Besides, I got impatient and ended up buying a Konghead locally.   It's not exactly what I wanted but it's 90% of the way there. :) 

• Like 1

With the return of this model to stock in the USA (and hopefully elsewhere) I was able to get my hands on one!  

My build included the (essentially mandatory) full set of ball bearings, a Hobbywing sensored brushless motor, rear steering, and some oil shocks from a Traxxas TRX6 (which are way too long but I got creative with the upper mounts and made them more or less work).   

I realized after getting the whole thing assembled that I forgot to install the thin brass spacers before the retaining clips that hold the input cup/shaft inside the portals.  Getting those retaining clips off without wrecking them off is always a pain in the axle. I'm sure there's a tool for this that I can't be bothered to buy. :D   So far, it doesn't seem like there is any ill effect of missing those but at some point, I'll go in and install them.  

It looks like the recommended oil shocks for this vehicle are basically touring car shocks. is that right?  Is that enough travel?   Which ones would you suggest? 

Finally, the servo mounting points seem really inadequate.  Has anyone found a way to improve the servo mounts?  

• Like 2

I’m loving this truck.  I had some buggy shocks kicking around that work way better than the TRX units.  I reinforced the rear servo mount with a 90* aluminum bracket.  Finally, I was able to get a couple miles on it. 

The Hobbywing 4100kv sensored motor appears to be a great match. On 2s, it can creep slowly with decent torque for climbing and also scoot along with surprising speed. On 3s, it’s hilarious. 

People always point out that this is NOT a crawler and that’s mostly true but where the ground clearance and articulation are lacking, the approach angle and traction are excellent.  This is definitely going to be a fun one for some moderate trail driving.  

There are some significant flaws and shortcomings in this kit but overall, it’s a gem. 

D4B3786B-09D7-41A7-BC0F-0CA8C6B0F9B6.jpeg

• Like 7

I have this on my wish list, as well as a Mammoth Dump, Bruiser, Juggernaut or the ol' Clodbuster. This with 4-wheel steering should be quite fun, it does have a bit of that Tamiya cornball chassis assembly but it's part of the appeal I suppose. Like any kit there's always something that can be done to it! Getting to have enough the old vintage crap to be honest.

On 5/30/2023 at 10:57 PM, Smokescreen38 said:

People always point out that this is NOT a crawler and that’s mostly true but where the ground clearance and articulation are lacking, the approach angle and traction are excellent.  This is definitely going to be a fun one for some moderate trail driving.  

Congrats! Welcome to the Dyna club!

Not sure I agree with that ... It can crawl as well as anything I own with the right setup. 

20231001-103755-SM.jpg

• Like 1