Sign in to follow this  
slydar

1985 IFMAR World titles photo set.

Excellent share! There are a lot of RC10 and Kyosho Scorpions/Tomahawks in those pics, lol. Its cool to see those shots of Yoshiaki Shimotori's Hotshot and Hornet. Surprising to see the Hotshot was running stock monoshocks while the Hornet was creatively modified to accept an IRS Hotshot rear gearbox. I still don't know what's going on with that Hornet's front suspension or if it even has any, lol. Of course, I was also perplexed by the success of the expensive, yet somewhat crude looking Yokomo 834B Dogfighter. Then again Gil Losi Jr is one heck of a driver/designer.

• Like 1

Some fantastic shots in there.  I had completely forgotten (blocked out?) about the old days of hooking a charger up to the car battery!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Saito2 said:

Its cool to see those shots of Yoshiaki Shimotori's Hotshot and Hornet. Surprising to see the Hotshot was running stock monoshocks while the Hornet was creatively modified to accept an IRS Hotshot rear gearbox. I still don't know what's going on with that Hornet's front suspension or if it even has any, lol.

Very cool to see that Hornet with the Hotshot box. I love that he used the original Hornet shock mounts for it!

Front susp. might be torsion bar, or maybe even a leaf spring under there? Looks like parallel links at least, so no crazy camber changes. Wonder if it has something to do with those Kyosho front wheels? Kyosho front knuckles/etc.? Would love to see more closeups of that one.

Great pictures and thanks for the share.

It was the era when Associated and Kyosho dominated the off-road buggy scene. Then followed by Yokomo and Losi in the late 80s as it entered the 90s decade battling for the first, second and third podiums. Sadly, Tamiya always released kits in either poorly engineered or over-engineered that none of them caught up with the four pro-racing brands.

But the truth is, Tamiya dominated in making more kids (and fathers) have more fun. Because serious RC racing was (and still is) very, very stressful and expensive. :lol:

How thin people were (except for some beer guts). 

Drinking sugary stuff became the unofficial hobby of the world (including myself... it took me years to cut sugar off).  

• Haha 1

Wow! These are great photos of a legendart event, thank you very much for sharing. So much goodness there: the location, the dirt track, the gorgeous cars and liveries, the magic -and funky clothing- of the '80s... I'm a bit overwhelmed :wub:

I wish I could bring my RC10, or any other buggy, to a similar event like those vintage meeting that take place in Australia or England... unfortunately there's no such thing around here.

• Like 2