steponit!

Tamiya Switch Lubricant

Hi Good People !

For those who are still using the 'MSC' in their cool vintage "rides", do you people use the 'Tamiya Switch Lubricant' ? Is it necessarily needed? Are there any other brands available?

Any help/advise is highly appreciated !

Thank you, Good People !

Never tried the Tamiya stuff, but I use CRC 2-26 Electrical Contact Cleaner (newer labels say Electronic Cleaner but both come in a red/white can). It's the same thing I use for cleaning slot car rails and controllers (similar to "Rail-zip" for model trains although that's more expensive). Evaporates dry and really improves conductivity! If the contacts are really bad, they get sandpaper, steel wool, then Blue Magic metal polish (same thing I use to restore metals on bicycles/cars), finished up with a wipe of CRC on a rag. And obviously the MSC should be tweaked for optimal contact at all positions, not too tight or loose otherwise no amount of cleaning will help :D

Thanks so much for your replies, Saito2 and El Gecko !! I really appreciate that !

I'm in the middle of 're-storing' my 1985 (I think) Tamiya Bruiser which uses the 'MSC' and it still looks good (& works too)!  Well since it's gonna be a "Shelf Queen" I don't the lube is necessary, right?